Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

getting my uk driving license, swop from Canada

getting my uk driving license, swop from Canada

Old Oct 14th 2021, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting my uk driving license, swop from Canada

I should know the answer to this, as I have done it before, but I can,t remeber! I am moving back to the uk from On, Canada, and ready to swop my driving license over, I have ordered a D1 form to go to my uk house ( I am moving back on the 4th Nov) but i cant seem to locate my old uk driving license number ( why didn,t I keep a record of it?) But I want to set up car insurance for my uk car ( as it happens I am actually buying back my previously owned car a Golf, from my neighbour who I sold it to 3 ears ago) . on the day i arrive, 4th Nov How do i set up car insurance with a uk insurer, - I originally learnt to drive in the uk in 1982 . I know I have to start from scratch with my NCB, as my hubby is staying in canada with the one car, that he owns, and I was just a named driver.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old Oct 14th 2021, 10:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting my uk driving license, swop from Canada

Give the DVLA a ring when you get back and they should be able to find your GB driving licence number for you.

You’ll need to be a UK resident before you can arrange car insurance but you can search for a quote on comparison websites like Compare the Market or Confused so you can pull the trigger as soon as you get back.

Last edited by BritInParis; Oct 14th 2021 at 10:17 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This place may give you some credit for your Canadian driving history, worth touching base before you go back
https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/expat-car-insurance/
Old Oct 15th 2021, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

So I can't arrange it before I touch the tarmac?

if that is so, as you say, I will get it all ready to go, then press the confirm button as soon as i am at the airport?

Old Oct 15th 2021, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
This place may give you some credit for your Canadian driving history, worth touching base before you go back
https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/expat-car-insurance/

thats a great idea I will look into that straight away today, I remember last time I used Aviva, but I had had my own car in Calgary with a history, and didn't buy my uk car until i had been in the country a few weeks. This time it is differerent.

Thanks, Sue
Old Oct 15th 2021, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Give the DVLA a ring when you get back and they should be able to find your GB driving licence number for you.

You’ll need to be a UK resident before you can arrange car insurance but you can search for a quote on comparison websites like Compare the Market or Confused so you can pull the trigger as soon as you get back.

Ahh my good old mum ( age 89 and can work whats app) found my gb license details, so that was a good find.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanmountain
So I can't arrange it before I touch the tarmac?

if that is so, as you say, I will get it all ready to go, then press the confirm button as soon as i am at the airport?
One of things you have to confirm when you buy car insurance is that you are a UK resident, and you won't be able to say yes to that if you are in Canada. So yes, you'll need to wait until you are actually living in the UK.

I would personally have the start date as the day after you arrive at the earliest, unless you have any desperate need to drive as soon as you arrive at your house, just to give yourself a bit of leeway.
Old Oct 16th 2021, 6:11 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

We just came back from Canada and was able to secure car insurance from Avila. Thanks to that recommendation from the good folks on this board we managed to have our no claims bonus recognised as well.
Old Oct 16th 2021, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vh3
We just came back from Canada and was able to secure car insurance from Avila. Thanks to that recommendation from the good folks on this board we managed to have our no claims bonus recognised as well.
Thats great news, and I have done that last time I came back from Canada, but this time I am coming back with no driving history from Canada, as I was only a named driver on my husbands canadian car . So I think I start ncb from scratch again