Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting a job in UK while still abroad

Getting a job in UK while still abroad

Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

tartancanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job in UK while still abroad

Hi, 2.5 years into a stint in Toronto and starting to feel like it's time to go back home. I was wondering if anyone have any experience in getting a job in the UK while still abroad? Any advice would be useful.

While I increasingly think about going back home, I also feel that the reality and practicalities are too restrictive right now. We have a house here and only a small amount of savings. How much money should I have as fall back for returning? I also fear that my work experience here will be viewed in the same dim light that my UK work experience was viewed by my Canadian employer - anyone have any experiences with this?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in UK while still abroad

Originally Posted by tartancanuck
Hi, 2.5 years into a stint in Toronto and starting to feel like it's time to go back home. I was wondering if anyone have any experience in getting a job in the UK while still abroad? Any advice would be useful.

While I increasingly think about going back home, I also feel that the reality and practicalities are too restrictive right now. We have a house here and only a small amount of savings. How much money should I have as fall back for returning? I also fear that my work experience here will be viewed in the same dim light that my UK work experience was viewed by my Canadian employer - anyone have any experiences with this?
It depends on what sector you are working in. Some employers would see international experience in a positive light. For other professions, overseas experience is irrelevant. One poster's husband worked in US immigration and is finding difficulty getting employment, for example. Experience teaching in a foreign school system would probably be viewed as irrelevant, but experience teaching in an overseas university system would be a bonus (or at least not a negative).
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:46 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

My UK work experience was viewed in really good light. But i'm not sure if US to UK would be seen the same way, like dunroving said, depends on what you do?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Emmbritt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping to go back this year. Above posts not very encouraging. Been in US 31 years!
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:43 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

I'm thinking of a job in the government, perhaps a portfolio as an MP, doesn't seem to require any expertise or experience or indeed any knowledge of the sector you are in charge of.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomikev
I'm thinking of a job in the government, perhaps a portfolio as an MP, doesn't seem to require any expertise or experience or indeed any knowledge of the sector you are in charge of.
To the OP I agree with Dunrovin. I would just keep putting in the applications for what its worth.

To Pomikev - I suspect your joking but I think many people could do a lot worse than considering running against the 'donkeys' from all parties local and national that pervade British politics. I have thought about it myself down the road. My only caveat to all insist that you donate 1/2 your salary to a local worthy cause within your elected constituency.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:10 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

I always say the wrong thing, but from my time working in the UK Americans in the workplace where always looked down upon, lucky you are coming from Canada.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:43 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ldollard
I always say the wrong thing, but from my time working in the UK Americans in the workplace where always looked down upon, lucky you are coming from Canada.
Not just in the workplace, maybe if they stopped bombing everyone and stealing their oil.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:34 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Have you tried looking for jobs online?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:42 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

I think you have a point there.

Last edited by Panhandle; Feb 7th 2013 at 2:45 am.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:44 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

The issue with returnees is that if you have been away more than 3-5 years then you are viewed as being out of touch with the market and you have no relevant contacts you can bring with you..Esp if the role you seek is at a more senior level.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Rhino1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not just in the workplace, maybe if they stopped bombing everyone and stealing their oil.
Perfectly put
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:22 am
Firetrak

Originally Posted by Rhino1
Perfectly put
Is either of those posts necessary, even if the US government are doing those things, which they are not. You are just tarnishing an entire country with totally baseless nonsense.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Rhino1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ldollard
Is either of those posts necessary, even if the US government are doing those things, which they are not. You are just tarnishing an entire country with totally baseless nonsense.
Entitled to your opinion... so are we..
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:57 pm
Firetrak

Originally Posted by Rhino1
Entitled to your opinion... so are we..
first amendment and all that... except i suspect you are not covered by it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.