Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting internet, TV, etc. HELP!

Getting internet, TV, etc. HELP!

Old Jun 28th 2022, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting internet, TV, etc. HELP!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well that's a pleasant surprise. Although I'm not sure how to make my aerial "point at the transmitter" as they recommend, especially if I stick it in the loft. Also, they seem to be square and flat, not pointy at all.
Be careful! It might send Suffolk signals back to you . Not good for a newbie Essex Girl to mix signals
Old Jun 28th 2022, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason I'm failing to make sense of this at all
  • There is internet access
  • There is tv, for which you need a license and that gives you access to some things
  • A smart tv which gets access to certain channels on it, some subscription some not, and some of which are some of the channels you can buy from other companies,such as Sky or BT etc
  • Freeview - some other selection of channels
  • Basic BBC and one ITV channel courtesy of your tv licence
  • Broadband bundles which include the actual access and varying other packages - offered by a large number of providers such as Sky, BT, but not all addresses can get all the packages or all the levels of service
  • You can also get your internet access and actual programmes packages separately
  • Internet and broadband don't seem to be the same thing
  • Some providers also offer SIMs for the phone
  • And Amazon Firestick, which gets you some other combination of channels.

The whole thing is making my head hurt. I need an Idiot's Guide to this please.
We have a Samsung tv bought back in 2010 (not a smart tv) when we arrived in the UK it’s still working. we have sky and a small Amazon box (our eldest son bought that as a gift about 6years ago) we have an excellent selection of what we can watch and is very simple to use.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 11:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Be careful! It might send Suffolk signals back to you . Not good for a newbie Essex Girl to mix signals
It's ok, I got a white handbag filter that you run the aerial cable through to remove any contaminated material.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 11:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We have a Samsung tv bought back in 2010 (not a smart tv) when we arrived in the UK it’s still working. we have sky and a small Amazon box (our eldest son bought that as a gift about 6years ago) we have an excellent selection of what we can watch and is very simple to use.

Tbh, Freeview and a smart tv looks like plenty for us.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 12:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Freeview has a load of channels, and actually I only ever watch one - BBC4. BBC1, BBC2, and Channel4 all seem to be a load of rubbish these days.

And I love exploring iplayer by category. For instance they have a category (classics maybe?) where they have old stuff from decades ago, which stays for a few months then disappears. When I was last in England, there were a lot of documentaries about London architectural history, for instance one about the development of Roehampton which was really good.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

That good, we just like being able to watch foreign series/movies and we love Netflix etc
Old Jun 29th 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by brits1
That good, we just like being able to watch foreign series/movies and we love Netflix etc
We will probably continue with Netflix as a streaming service, independently.