Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting home from Heathrow with the cat!!!

Getting home from Heathrow with the cat!!!

Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting home from Heathrow with the cat!!!

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
I'm planning on returning and will have my dog flying on the same flight as me. They told me that it would be 2-3 hours to be able to pick her up after we land. I personally plan just to get over to the ARC as soon as I can and wait there with a cup of coffee or 3. There is the possibility that they will be released sooner than the estimated time and I want to get her back as soon as I can. Sometimes its worth paying more for convenience in my opinion so I wouldnt think about the cost but what is going to work best for you and your cat.
Is it possible to take pets in the cabin with you? I know this used to be possible on some flights.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:00 pm
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that KLM allow it for small animals but the cage needs to fit under the seat in front of you.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RJB123
I believe that KLM allow it for small animals but the cage needs to fit under the seat in front of you.
That's correct. There are some very well designed carriers available for just that purpose.

...only into mainland europe though; if you're flying into the UK DEFRA insists you use cargo.

Last edited by happyglow; Mar 9th 2013 at 4:14 pm. Reason: added
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
That's correct. There are some very well designed carriers available for just that purpose.

...only into mainland europe though; if you're flying into the UK DEFRA insists you use cargo.
Might be a good reason to fly from the USA to Paris and then on to London then. At least my little 7 lb Maltese could then travel in the cabin with me from the USA to Paris and from Paris to London in the cargo hold. Unfortunately, my 15 lb dog is too big to fly in the cabin

If both my dogs have to go in the cargo hold, I will have to be sedated because I would be SO worried about them for the entire flight!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Might be a good reason to fly from the USA to Paris and then on to London then. At least my little 7 lb Maltese could then travel in the cabin with me from the USA to Paris and from Paris to London in the cargo hold. Unfortunately, my 15 lb dog is too big to fly in the cabin

If both my dogs have to go in the cargo hold, I will have to be sedated because I would be SO worried about them for the entire flight!
.... or you could rail and tunnel taxi/ferry into the UK. After much research I chose this:

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happyglow
.... or you could rail and tunnel taxi/ferry into the UK. After much research I chose this:

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/
Great idea!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windsong
Great idea!
I'll let you know how it goes..... at least we both get a sleep in a comfy kennel on the overnight sailing!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Sully1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, Im looking for a cat friendly place to stay near heathrow airport. Planning ahead for the move back home from Australia to UK. Do you know of any?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sully1
Hello, Im looking for a cat friendly place to stay near heathrow airport. Planning ahead for the move back home from Australia to UK. Do you know of any?
I know Days Inn hotels accepts pets - I wonder if there is one at Heathrow?

Just flew in with my dog and it took 1 hour at ARC to get him.