Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting home from Heathrow with the cat!!!

Getting home from Heathrow with the cat!!!

Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Getting home from Heathrow with the cat!!!

Hi all, a bit stressed today, haven't slept well....

Then today I found out it can take 4-5 hours to collect Leo from The ARC, I dont have relies who can collect me, mum doesnt drive, what have others done? Should I get a cab and have Leo delivered when he's ready at an extra cost??

Or order a cab to the Arc 5 hours later???

Anyone any advice...

To coin an ozzie phrase I feel like a headless chuck!!!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting home from Heathrow with the cat!!!

Chances are it's only 4 or 5 hours when they are run off their feet. I bet it's a lot faster most of the time. Why not go over to the animal centre they have and wait there, and have them call you a cab when they are done. From watching the airport reality shows on youtube Heathrows pet place looked really friendly and helpful.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Chances are it's only 4 or 5 hours when they are run off their feet. I bet it's a lot faster most of the time. Why not go over to the animal centre they have and wait there, and have them call you a cab when they are done. From watching the airport reality shows on youtube Heathrows pet place looked really friendly and helpful.
Seconded! I'd just arm myself with reading material and a large coffee, and wait.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I guess that makes more sense, its just Im going all the way to Pompey, I guess Ill have to look at how much getting a cab from the ARC, as opposed to booking one to collect me wll cost?

Thanks folks
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Hi all, a bit stressed today, haven't slept well....

Then today I found out it can take 4-5 hours to collect Leo from The ARC, I dont have relies who can collect me, mum doesnt drive, what have others done? Should I get a cab and have Leo delivered when he's ready at an extra cost??

Or order a cab to the Arc 5 hours later???

Anyone any advice...

To coin an ozzie phrase I feel like a headless chuck!!!
I'll be in a similar situation shortly except I'm coming in through Edinburgh and was told to expect a 2-3 hour wait.
If I were traveling alone, I know that I'd just wait, even if it was 5 hours because I'll be desperate to be reunited with our cats but my husband is disabled and he will need to get straight home.
I called to find out the price for the cats to be delivered and was quoted 85gbp+10% fuel (+20%vat) so pretty pricy! To put that in perspective out taxi fare will be around 45gbp. The distance from the airport is around 27 miles.
I agree with the other posters, probably best to wait, not just because of the cost but I imagine the last thing you're going to want to do once you get home from your long journey, is go back out again!
Also, the time taken up going through customs and immigration and picking up your bags will take a chunk off the straight "sitting there just waiting" time.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes,I do want to see him ASAP!! they recommend not going there till two hours after arrival, could just get something to eat,? but I guess Ill have had about 15 meals by then!!

Thanks guys
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, I guess that makes more sense, its just Im going all the way to Pompey, I guess Ill have to look at how much getting a cab from the ARC, as opposed to booking one to collect me wll cost?

Thanks folks
When I use my local (to the address I'll be going to) cab company to pick me up from the airport (much cheaper than getting one there) they won't set off until I call them from the airport to say that I have arrived. (After one awful journey with all sorts of delays I know why they have this policy, I was about 12 hours later than I should have been!)
See if your cab co works that way too, that way you can just call them when you have Leo back and save a bit on cab fare
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

We drove to the ARC and then onwards from there. We didn't come on the same flights as our cats, they arrived before us anyway so we didn't have that as an issue. How are you planning to get from arrivals to the ARC and how were you planning to get to Portsmouth? Taxi? Can you drive?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I ve just been told it will be an extra 500 dollars to take leo to Portsmouth! (about 60 miles or so) so cab it is!

I do drive yes, but dont have a car that end.

Im planning to get a cab to the ARC, then Ill have to weigh up whether I can order a cab from Pompey (cheaper) or get one of the pet freindly cabs from the ARC, no idea what that would cost.

I might ring the ARC tonight...
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I ve just been told it will be an extra 500 dollars to take leo to Portsmouth! (about 60 miles or so) so cab it is!

I do drive yes, but dont have a car that end.

Im planning to get a cab to the ARC, then Ill have to weigh up whether I can order a cab from Pompey (cheaper) or get one of the pet freindly cabs from the ARC, no idea what that would cost.

I might ring the ARC tonight...
You know, with those sort of distances, and the fact that you do drive in the UK, you just might want to look into the prices to hire a car for 24 hours. That is assuming that you can either get public tansportation back from the airport when you return it, or you can return it in your home town.
Just a thought!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

yes, I'd considered that but to be honest after 2 days of trvelling almost by then Im happy to pay 80 quid for a cab!! Im goner try and get one to come up from portsmouth 4-5 hours later....

OOO!! the stress of it all...atleast Im losing weight!!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

yes, I'd considered that but to be honest after 2 days of trvelling almost by then Im happy to pay 80 quid for a cab!! Im goner try and get one to come up from portsmouth 4-5 hours later....

OOO!! the stress of it all...atleast Im losing weight!!
Very wise - driving on unfamiliar roads after that journey is a recipe for disaster.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we arrived before our cat. She arrived at 5.30 in the morning and ARC called us at 10 to say she was ready. Apparently government doc processing is the bit which takes time. Our cat was released into her pen, but not allowed to leave ARC.

If you will be tired why not look at booking into an airport hotel for a rest?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning on returning and will have my dog flying on the same flight as me. They told me that it would be 2-3 hours to be able to pick her up after we land. I personally plan just to get over to the ARC as soon as I can and wait there with a cup of coffee or 3. There is the possibility that they will be released sooner than the estimated time and I want to get her back as soon as I can. Sometimes its worth paying more for convenience in my opinion so I wouldnt think about the cost but what is going to work best for you and your cat.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:01 am
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We will be moving back from the Middle East in July with 2 dogs and a cat and will then have to travel about 150 miles once we collect them. Certainly not something that I am looking forwards to. Current thinking is that we will travel back one or two days in advance of them so that we have time to prepare for their arrival.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.