Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting back VAT paid during visit back to the UK

Getting back VAT paid during visit back to the UK

Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Getting back VAT paid during visit back to the UK

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this? Just booked out travelodge rooms for the duration and paid 15 quid in VAT. As well as everything else that we'll be paying VAT on during the 2 weeks - this might add up.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:27 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting back VAT paid during visit back to the UK

Last I checked about 3 years ago VAT on hotel rooms is not reclaimable as an individual. However, if a business (i.e. your business) pays for the hotel room on a business trip, the business can file for the hotel VAT upon your return.

I generally try to book through lastminute.com which has the VAT included in the price (which is often lower than the one you'd get direct from the hotel).

How much are you looking to spend per night? http://www.tripadvisor.com/ gives some really good reviews of London hotels. Strongly recommend checking out the review there for the places you booked.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You cam only claim VAT from places that participate in the scheme so you'll have to ask. Each place can have their own set of rules within certain parameters, like they will only do it for purchases over a certain amount and they will claim a fee to do so, also variable but up to a certain amount. You have to have them fill in the paper work at time of purchase and then hand it in to the customs desk at the airport you are flying out of. They may ask to see the goods you bought though which sometimes makes it tricky. Then you post the stamped form back to the place you bough the stuff from and they process the refund and apply it back on a credit/debit card. Most things you buy wont be eligible for whatever reason but if you make significant qualifying purchases then you can get a nice amount back.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

You can only obtain a VAT refund if the retailer is a member of the Retail Export Scheme.
See the attached HM Customs web page
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/consumers-visitors.htm

you need to visit HM Customs prior to departure to have them verify the reciepts and refund vouchers, so give yourself extra time before departure.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like a bit of a parlava... If I cant get the VAT back from the hotel stay, I guess its the same thing for the rental car and the fuel... Or the fried breakfast from the asda canteen which I am very much looking forward to
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

RadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to all

Mmm, Supermarket fry ups. They're the best. Looking forward to mine at the end of March on my way North from Edinburgh Airport.