Reload this Page >

Getting 6 UK Correspondence frustration

Getting 6 UK Correspondence frustration

Old Mar 26th 2019, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

oxygen28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting 6 UK Correspondence frustration

Hi everyone.

So I've arrived the UK last February 2019 under spouse visa which is valid until Nov2021. First thing that we did is to establish my existence here. However, things are quite tricky and a bit frustrating. I hope you guys could help me in guiding to properly established my existence and get my required 6 correspondence that I will be needing for the renewal of my spouse visa (Further Leave to Remain). So the main purpose is to include my name together with my husbands name on all the bill statements, bank statements.

1.) Virgin Internet & Mobile - we've phone them to request to include my name together with my husband's name in all of our future monthly bills. I thought, oh it wasn't that difficult as we were able to do it quickly (of course apart from the long wait and endless hold). So I've been waiting to receive the bills this month. However, when they arrived, its annoying as its still my husbands name only. And so we phone again and the person who talked to ask his supervisor and then they said, its not possible. So we were telling them that we made it clear about the purpose of including my name together with my husbands name on every bill that they issued to us. Anyway, my husband try again after an hour and spoke to a different person, luckily, the new person told us that she can do that, and then she said its been changed and that to expect the next bill statement will have my name together with my husbands. I hope it will be really.

2.) E-On - They said they can't do that. The only thing is to cancel my husbands account the open it again under my name. However, they said that they need to check my credit score. I made it clear about the purpose of it and that the only credit score/history that I could provide is the one in Canada. And then she told me, they only require UK one. But how would I be able to have it when I'm barely 4 weeks living here?. So I guess its a no.

3.) Council Tax - my husband phone them and declare me on his council tax which results to not giving us 25% discount. As single occupancy thing. Anyway, they sent the council tax bill and it still have 25% discount and of course my name is still not included on the bill. We will call again.

4.) Nationwide Bank - So I made an appointment with them to open an account. But they didn't let me open and account as they need some sort of proof of address. GP letter. So I told them that I already went to the nearest GP up the road where we live but I am still on their waiting list.

5.) Santander Bank - So I went there and told them that I wanted to open an account, and told them about my situation, and they ask for proof of address, so I told them is Tesco clubcard considered? He said no. So I went.

6.) GP - So were we live there is a GP that is just 3 minutes walk up the road. I went there to register but I was told that they will put me on waiting list. However I've been here for almost 2 months and every time I follow-up it still waiting list. And they're referring me register on a 30mins drive GP to try to register? Why can't they accept? They said they have a long waiting list queue. It's really frustrating. It could have been easier if only I could drive here, but I'm really struggling on the busy round-about here. Being used to 4-way stops, I feel like I'll always be hit by other cars.

7.) DVLA - apparently, I need to be living here no less than 185 days before I could switch my canadian license to british license. So I'm learning to drive on the other side of the road using my canadian driving license with proper UK driving insurance.

Anyway, I would like to ask, how did establish yourself here? What did you do? Please let me know.

Looking forward to you replies.

Old Mar 26th 2019, 1:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting 6 UK Correspondence frustration

Originally Posted by oxygen28
….. Being used to 4-way stops, I feel like I'll always be hit by other cars. ….
But you won't be! Maybe it'll take a little time to get used to, but Give Way (yield) is much safer and more in tune with how people drive, as it means "you can go, but don't cause an accident", and there is rarely any doubt as to who goes first. There are commonly T junctions with one Give Way, and cross roads with two Give Ways, but there is no such thing as a "four-way Give Way" …. well there is, but it's a roundabout!

British drivers might seem a bit crazy, but they're better at not causing accidents. Driving in the US I have been rear-ended four times, but in the UK over roughly the same length of time I was never involved in a traffic accident despite living and working in London.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Apply for a credit card for someone with no or poor credit rating. Use one of the online comparison companies to find out the best ones.
Use the card every month and pay off the bill each month.
If your husband has a bank account then ask about making it a joint account - they can always pursue him for any debts.
Ask about simple accounts where you cannot get overdrawn - e.g. debit card only.
Try a different surgery. It is the responsibility of the local Health Board to find you a G.P. - ask the Health Board to arrange a G.P. for you.
You can always change G.P. later.
Old May 8th 2019, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But you won't be! Maybe it'll take a little time to get used to, but Give Way (yield) is much safer and more in tune with how people drive, as it means "you can go, but don't cause an accident", and there is rarely any doubt as to who goes first. There are commonly T junctions with one Give Way, and cross roads with two Give Ways, but there is no such thing as a "four-way Give Way" …. well there is, but it's a roundabout!

British drivers might seem a bit crazy, but they're better at not causing accidents. Driving in the US I have been rear-ended four times, but in the UK over roughly the same length of time I was never involved in a traffic accident despite living and working in London.
Thanks Pulaski.

I guess I have to agree with you on "the four-way give-way"... I find the adjustment really overwhelming. But now that I know which lane to take on the round-about, I'm a little bit confident now in driving here. And I must admit, I'm kinda liking round-about now

Regards,
Old May 8th 2019, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian
Apply for a credit card for someone with no or poor credit rating. Use one of the online comparison companies to find out the best ones.
Use the card every month and pay off the bill each month.
If your husband has a bank account then ask about making it a joint account - they can always pursue him for any debts.
Ask about simple accounts where you cannot get overdrawn - e.g. debit card only.
Try a different surgery. It is the responsibility of the local Health Board to find you a G.P. - ask the Health Board to arrange a G.P. for you.
You can always change G.P. later.
Thanks for your reply Cyrian.

We did the joint account and then credit card follows and so is GP. Thanks to that. So currently I got 4 out of 6. Do you think gym membership and pottery membership counts? If not, any suggestions?

Regards,
Old May 8th 2019, 12:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be living in the UK for at least six months before you can sit a GB driving test but you can swap your Canadian licence for a GB licence so long as you are a resident albeit restricted to automatics.
Old May 8th 2019, 12:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxygen28
Thanks for your reply Cyrian.

We did the joint account and then credit card follows and so is GP. Thanks to that. So currently I got 4 out of 6. Do you think gym membership and pottery membership counts? If not, any suggestions?

Regards,
If you're renting, is the tenancy agreement in both your names? If not, as the landlord must have agreed for you to be added to the tenancy for you to meet the accommodation requirement, your name should be on the agreement along with your husband's.
If you're buying a property together, then mortgage documents will be in both your names.
Any building or contents insurance policies?

If he hasn't done so already, your husband must sort out the Council tax as he'll quite likely have to pay back any discount he's received since you moved in. He can then add your name to the Council tax account.