Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

General curiosity about moving back from???

Wikiposts

General curiosity about moving back from???

Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default General curiosity about moving back from???

I am always interested to read the post's about ex-pats returning - particularly from the U.S. as this is where we are. I'm starting to form a picture in my mind that the majority that return are in Australia, would you agree? With a good few from Canada and not as many from the U.S. but I have only looked at a small amount of current posts so maybe I am completely wrong. I'm just wondering if people find it harder to settle in Australia than anywhere else.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General curiosity about moving back from???

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I am always interested to read the post's about ex-pats returning - particularly from the U.S. as this is where we are. I'm starting to form a picture in my mind that the majority that return are in Australia, would you agree? With a good few from Canada and not as many from the U.S. but I have only looked at a small amount of current posts so maybe I am completely wrong. I'm just wondering if people find it harder to settle in Australia than anywhere else.
there's quite a few from the usa moving or have moved back...tara only yesterday and britvic soon and many more, just can't think of them off hand....
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It dose seem like there is more leaving Oz. I cant wait to leave this side of the pond and being as I've never been to Australia and I must add I dont have any desire to go either, I'm sure some might be along from there to tell you why One of our little group went home last month Partystar and that was at the cost of her marriage as well.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

It seems a lot are returning from Australia because of immigration problems, low wages and expensive housing...us included.

OH is having a few problems with TRA and immigration with regards to an electrical license he needs for his job. He is able to do his job without it and we are over here on a 457 visa but we cannot apply for PR until the electrical license has been sorted?????? It could be another 1 -2 years before it is sorted out.

A guy from Kents International Removals told me the other day a very high number of 'trade' people are returning to the UK at the moment. Plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc are having to return because the work isn't there, low wages, immigration and TRA problems and expensive housing. ********Please note These are not my words but the words of the coordinater at Kents.***** I guess he's dealing with this on a daily basis so he should know.

It seems a drive to bring Skilled Trades over to Australia is just a money making scam!! *****My opinion only*****
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebiE
It seems a lot are returning from Australia because of immigration problems, low wages and expensive housing...us included.

OH is having a few problems with TRA and immigration with regards to an electrical license he needs for his job. He is able to do his job without it and we are over here on a 457 visa but we cannot apply for PR until the electrical license has been sorted?????? It could be another 1 -2 years before it is sorted out.

A guy from Kents International Removals told me the other day a very high number of 'trade' people are returning to the UK at the moment. Plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc are having to return because the work isn't there, low wages, immigration and TRA problems and expensive housing. ********Please note These are not my words but the words of the coordinater at Kents.***** I guess he's dealing with this on a daily basis so he should know.

It seems a drive to bring Skilled Trades over to Australia is just a money making scam!! *****My opinion only*****
I agree it does seem silly when there appears to be a shortage and they have to jump through hoops to get licences. I think it can get better though. I am having some work done on my house and my Electrician and Plumber seem really busy and I paid them $890 and $750 respectively for about 6 hours work, sounds pretty good to me.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't looked at the figures recently - but aren't there huge numbers heading off to OZ each year anyway? Is it the highest proportion after Spain?
So just by percentages alone, if the number is high to start with, it is likely the number returning might be higher too??
Don't we all just wish that our promised land was exactly that ??!!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
It dose seem like there is more leaving Oz. I cant wait to leave this side of the pond and being as I've never been to Australia and I must add I dont have any desire to go either, I'm sure some might be along from there to tell you why One of our little group went home last month Partystar and that was at the cost of her marriage as well.
yep partystar was another one and now silly sod and his OH.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I haven't looked at the figures recently - but aren't there huge numbers heading off to OZ each year anyway? Is it the highest proportion after Spain?
So just by percentages alone, if the number is high to start with, it is likely the number returning might be higher too??
Don't we all just wish that our promised land was exactly that ??!!
I never saw it as the promised land in the first place, and after my USC OH lived in the UK he never saw that life over here was that way either.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
I never saw it as the promised land in the first place, and after my USC OH lived in the UK he never saw that life over here was that way either.
same here.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

ok

Am I treading on toes? Sorry
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok

No not at all Hon
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:28 am
Account Closed

ok

nope, i'm sure you aren't....so when are you planning on moving back?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just got here ! So no plans.

But I always dip into this forum to keep me grounded. And I did do, before I left too. I'm just happy when people find their happiness - wherever it ends up ...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to go in cycles on this forum as to where people are returning from. When we moved two years ago there were quite a few returning from the US at that time.........a few months ago it seemed everyone was coming back from Australia.............and now it seems a mixture of primarily returnees from Australia and the US & Canada.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think the reason you hear about more people moving back from Oz is that more people immigrate to Oz. Also I think the fact that it is so far away from Europe...well it's so far away from everywhere really. We are more familiar with the US because of all the films, TV programs, holidays etc...even though it's nothing like that when you move here.

I always wanted to live in Oz until I went there on holiday 6 yrs ago...then I realised there is no way I could ever live there. It was like stepping back in time...much worse than the US.