Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Garstang....anyone lived there?

Garstang....anyone lived there?

Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Garstang....anyone lived there?

We are going back to the UK in 2 weeks,and really are not sure exactly where we are moving to.Our parents live in Cumbria,but we have decided we are not going to move back there at this point.So we have been doing some research on the crime stats in Preston and i was very shocked to say the least ! they are tops with London. So we are looking at the lower crime rate area's and Garstang in one of them.I can rememeber going there quite a few years ago and thinking it was a nice place.....but cant remember much else. So just wondering if anyone has actually lived there and is there much for kids to do ?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garstang....anyone lived there?

Garstang was further down the road from Fulwood where I lived.. I remember it being small and quaint.. But I have been gone so long (27 years) and don't really visit it when I go back so all I can tell you is my memories are just remember it was lovely place. There are also nice parts of Fulwood - I used to live in an Orphanage on Garstang Road. I don't recollect there being any bad parts of Fulwood. I know when I visit Preston (5 weeks away) I don't go into town at night - read stories of drunken louts. There is forum in the local newspaper - lep.co.uk. Used to be decent paper but nowt much in it. Are you looking for smaller places? Broughton - nice place. What about places like Arnside, Carnforth, Silverdale for example? If you wish to I have friends in UK - I could ask them for feedback if you like. They are all over Preston..
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

I've not lived there, but I love the cheese:

http://www.dewlay.com/product-garstangblue.html
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

You just made me think of Wallace and Gromit with that statement..
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by fulwood
Garstang was further down the road from Fulwood where I lived.. I remember it being small and quaint.. But I have been gone so long (27 years) and don't really visit it when I go back so all I can tell you is my memories are just remember it was lovely place. There are also nice parts of Fulwood - I used to live in an Orphanage on Garstang Road. I don't recollect there being any bad parts of Fulwood. I know when I visit Preston (5 weeks away) I don't go into town at night - read stories of drunken louts. There is forum in the local newspaper - lep.co.uk. Used to be decent paper but nowt much in it. Are you looking for smaller places? Broughton - nice place. What about places like Arnside, Carnforth, Silverdale for example? If you wish to I have friends in UK - I could ask them for feedback if you like. They are all over Preston..
Thank you .......yes i believe Fulwood is very nice with m=not much crime there either. We would like a small quaint village,with maybe a pool close at hand and some stuff for a 13yrs old to do.I dont mind driving him,so maybe on the edge of a town . many thanks for your feed back
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Ribchester is a nice village. I rented a house there for a few months. I remember many houses with flowers in window boxes. Nice pub, old Roman ruins and a small army of Roman re-enactors at the village fair.

Mellor is a quiet village with good access to the M6, but nothing to do for teenagers. I lived there for a few years.

I visited Clitheroe a few times, and it seemed like a nice town, with a fast road to the M6. Pendleton is another quaint village. If you want good access to the M6 and up to Cumbria, the villages along the A59 may be worth a look.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

The places CalgaryPete mention are nice as well. I will be speaking to my friend at the weekend so will ask her what she can think of...
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
We are going back to the UK in 2 weeks,and really are not sure exactly where we are moving to.Our parents live in Cumbria,but we have decided we are not going to move back there at this point.So we have been doing some research on the crime stats in Preston and i was very shocked to say the least ! they are tops with London. So we are looking at the lower crime rate area's and Garstang in one of them.I can rememeber going there quite a few years ago and thinking it was a nice place.....but cant remember much else. So just wondering if anyone has actually lived there and is there much for kids to do ?
We just moved from Cumbria to Calgary 3 months ago. I remember visiting garstang when I was younger and remember it being nice but not in much detail, can I be cheeky and ask why you are moving back to the uk? We've only been here a short while but I'm not sure I'm going to settle, it's really nice here but I guess maybe I just need time (that's what I'm hoping anyway) good luck with the move back
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi if your thinking of moving to that part of the world have you thought of Lytham or St.Anne's? there are also some lovely little villages around those towns as well.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ...again!! if you go to www.chorley.gov.uk their home page comes up with a map of villages in that area, click onto one of the areas and when you do on the left hand side is a list of the areas you just go down that list clicking on the towns/village names and info come up on that area. I thought it might help. Good luck
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:58 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at Milnthorpe? Nice village and an easy drive to Carnforth or Kendal for shopping with no need to ever set foot in Preston.

Kirkby Lonsdale is lovely but not handy for bigger towns.

I hear Barnoldswick is a nice little town although I've never been. Might check it out when we go back in a few months.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martyn and Wendy
We just moved from Cumbria to Calgary 3 months ago. I remember visiting garstang when I was younger and remember it being nice but not in much detail, can I be cheeky and ask why you are moving back to the uk? We've only been here a short while but I'm not sure I'm going to settle, it's really nice here but I guess maybe I just need time (that's what I'm hoping anyway) good luck with the move back
If you have only been here 3 months,you still have plenty of time to suss it all out for youselves..........spend a few winters here!!!!
We have been here 10yrs and my OH wanted to go home in the first year,but i didnt,so he stuck with me.But he opinion has never changed.Mine however......I lasted 5yrs then i knew i really wanted out of here.I didnt know where i wanted to move to until i went back to the UK after 5yrs,and i knew then.So its taken until now to make the move really.We are renting the house out so if all else fails,we can come back sell up next year and try some where else......but Alberta is not for us.
Where abouts in Cumbria are you from?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Have you looked at Milnthorpe? Nice village and an easy drive to Carnforth or Kendal for shopping with no need to ever set foot in Preston.

Kirkby Lonsdale is lovely but not handy for bigger towns.

I hear Barnoldswick is a nice little town although I've never been. Might check it out when we go back in a few months.
I would live in Kirkby Lonsdale in a heartbeat. Wouldn't touch Carnforth with a ten foot barge pole. Milnthorpe is OK but there isn't much there.

Garstang is OK. Close to Preston, Blackpool and Lancaster. Worth a look.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Wouldn't touch Carnforth with a ten foot barge pole. Milnthorpe is OK but there isn't much there.
Yes, not suggesting living in Carnforth - just saying it's close by for more shops.

As for Milnthorpe, I guess it depends what you're looking for. All I need to be happy is a general store, a pub, peace and quiet, and nice scenery. I'm easy

Still, I'm set on Kendal anyway so it doesn't really matter. Just trying to come up with other suggestions for the OP.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have only been here 3 months,you still have plenty of time to suss it all out for youselves..........spend a few winters here!!!!
We have been here 10yrs and my OH wanted to go home in the first year,but i didnt,so he stuck with me.But he opinion has never changed.Mine however......I lasted 5yrs then i knew i really wanted out of here.I didnt know where i wanted to move to until i went back to the UK after 5yrs,and i knew then.So its taken until now to make the move really.We are renting the house out so if all else fails,we can come back sell up next year and try some where else......but Alberta is not for us.
Where abouts in Cumbria are you from?
Thanks for the advice, I'm from Grange-over-sands, just accross the bay from morcambe, left there 10 years ago and moved up to penrith where I met my partner and had 2 kids, it took him 6 years to persuade me to move here, so now were trying it. Fingers crossed it works out but we kept our house back in Penrith and are just renting it out so we have options. Sorry to hear it's not for you but at least you tried it, now you know for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.