Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

FYI..BA quote for shipping dog US -UK

Wikiposts

FYI..BA quote for shipping dog US -UK

Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all
Default FYI..BA quote for shipping dog US -UK

Hey
I am looking at shipping my dog back from Houston to London I just called BA and they quoted me $1458... My dog is a Lab mix she weights 70lbs and the size of the crate is 43x18x27....

Just thought I would pass this on.....
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FYI..BA quote for shipping dog US -UK

Originally Posted by mctraill
Hey
I am looking at shipping my dog back from Houston to London I just called BA and they quoted me $1458... My dog is a Lab mix she weights 70lbs and the size of the crate is 43x18x27....

Just thought I would pass this on.....
Sounds about the same as what I paid in 2006 ...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sounds about the same as what I paid in 2006 ...
How did your dog do on the journey, was he/she Ok?

I notice your in Scotland, it looks possible that we might end up in Aberdeen, I was wondering did you fly into London or Scotland?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mctraill
How did your dog do on the journey, was he/she Ok?

I notice your in Scotland, it looks possible that we might end up in Aberdeen, I was wondering did you fly into London or Scotland?
She did just fine - all three times (2000, 2001, 2006).

In 2000, she flew ATL-GLA
In 2001, MAN-CLT
In 2006, IAD-LHR

Not sure about clearance for pets in Glasgow or Edinburgh (may not be an approved route - looks like MAN, LGW, and LHR are your only options: http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet.../noneu-air.pdf)
Old Sep 8th 2010, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

For McTraill, I just sent you an email about clearing customs and DEFRA in UK (ABZ), still not clear to me, so maybe a call to DEFRA will help

the cost of shipping a pet is based on the size of the container (and length of flight and cargo rates for the route, busy cargo routes are more expensive)

normally the weight of the pet in irrelevant as pet + container will not weigh as much as the volumetric weight of the cage. All airlines use the same formula for calculating the volumetric weight of airfreight items

typical pet cages run from 14Kg up to 147Kg when using volumetric weight

my dog is going in the largest commercially manufactured cage (PetMate Vari Kennel) at 48"x32"x35", and is charged as 147Kg, whereas the actual cage weighs 20Kg and the dog weighs 28Kg

my two cats are in the smallest cage, and the cost of their shipping is a small fraction of the dog's

BA quoted me US$3,600 for the two cages for the flight HKG to LHR, a 6,000 mile trip (this price includes all of the handling and administration fees at both ends)
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by john5655
For McTraill, I just sent you an email about clearing customs and DEFRA in UK (ABZ), still not clear to me, so maybe a call to DEFRA will help

the cost of shipping a pet is based on the size of the container (and length of flight and cargo rates for the route, busy cargo routes are more expensive)

normally the weight of the pet in irrelevant as pet + container will not weigh as much as the volumetric weight of the cage. All airlines use the same formula for calculating the volumetric weight of airfreight items

typical pet cages run from 14Kg up to 147Kg when using volumetric weight

my dog is going in the largest commercially manufactured cage (PetMate Vari Kennel) at 48"x32"x35", and is charged as 147Kg, whereas the actual cage weighs 20Kg and the dog weighs 28Kg

my two cats are in the smallest cage, and the cost of their shipping is a small fraction of the dog's

BA quoted me US$3,600 for the two cages for the flight HKG to LHR, a 6,000 mile trip (this price includes all of the handling and administration fees at both ends)
Hey
I got your email have repiled...When I called BA he asked the breed of dog, her weight and the diemensions of the crate, happy you explained it I was going to put her on a very strick diet to lose 20lbs...
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

glad you mentioned breed of dog

this is another area where airlines differ

snub-nosed dogs have breathing issues, so airlines have policies about carriage of such dogs, sometimes they demand extra large crates, sometimes won't carry certain breeds, or ban them from flying in hot conditions

dangerous breeds may also be barred from travel

always check early with any approved carrier