Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Funding UK retirement form US based accounts

Wikiposts

Funding UK retirement form US based accounts

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:41 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funding UK retirement form US based accounts

Originally Posted by dunroving
Could someone clarify - is the "30% withholding" some sort of automatic 30% income tax at source (e.g., by the pension fund company) on pension disbursement (including monthly payments)? If so, would the US/UK tax treaty allow you to reclaim that if it is greater than your tax liability in the UK?

I'm getting a bit worried. I assumed if I retired in the UK, that any income from US retirement holdings would be paid gross, and I'd declare it on my US tax return at which point I'd be taxed appropriately. I don't like the idea of being automatically taxed 30% on all income from my US retirement fund ... does this also apply to US Social Security (if it even exists by then, of course)?
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html#taxes

Go the section where it discusses taxes, near the end of the report. It will tell you that non USA citizens will have 30% tax taken out of SS.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I wish someone would write a book based on your question as a thesis. I would buy that book.
Me too - there don't seem to be any definite answers to these questions
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:16 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Me too - there don't seem to be any definite answers to these questions
I guess there are answers but not all from one source, and they are very complex, and each individual will need to retain a potentially expensive professional adviser. I don't mind paying for an adviser (to plan out changes I may need to make in my portfolio,) and then I don't mind paying for a preparer to do taxes each year. But I would like to be able to educate myself first, so I have a broad idea of the issues and intelligent questions I could ask the professionals!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html#taxes

Go the section where it discusses taxes, near the end of the report. It will tell you that non USA citizens will have 30% tax taken out of SS.
However, the section wich mentions the 30% withholding continues to say that it wont be withheld if you are a resident of, for example, the UK. It will be taxed in the UK though
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:54 am
Just Joined

mona2288 is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved back to the UK in September after living in the US for 10 years. I became a US Citizen while I was there. Since returning, I withdrew my retirement fund and got charged the 30% fee. I filed my taxes and got it returned to me this week but owe $2800!! Can anyone recommend anyone in the UK who can help me with sorting all this out? I am so confused about who I need to pay money to etc and want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:32 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mona2288
I moved back to the UK in September after living in the US for 10 years. I became a US Citizen while I was there. Since returning, I withdrew my retirement fund and got charged the 30% fee. I filed my taxes and got it returned to me this week but owe $2800!! Can anyone recommend anyone in the UK who can help me with sorting all this out? I am so confused about who I need to pay money to etc and want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Any advice would be really appreciated.
In the UK contact Nicky Reynolds at Tower tax or British America Tax. Web searches will find them.

Just as an aside to all this, if you are a US citizen you should NOT be having the 30% flat tax withheld from any payments made to you in the UK...

Originally Posted by IRS Website
30% Flat Rate Withholding

Generally, U.S. payers of income other than wages, such as dividends and royalties, are required to withhold tax at a flat 30% (or lower treaty) rate on nonwage income paid to nonresident aliens. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien and this tax is withheld in error from payments to you because you have a foreign address, you should notify the payer of the income to stop the withholding. Use Form W-9 to notify the payer.

You can claim the tax withheld in error as a withholding credit on your tax return if the amount is not adjusted by the payer.
unless it is the 20% IRA non rollover withholding tax plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty...then you might still owe some tax if the 20% withholding was not enough.

Ignoring FATCA for the moment, after reading the IRS website it seems that as a US citizen with no US address and getting payments abroad there's no excess tax withheld by the IRS. All you do is ask your payer to withhold the appropriate tax at source and then use the 1099-R to fill that info in on your tax return.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

mona2288 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for the info. I will definitely look into it further. It is very confusing, I don't mind paying as long as I know I am doing it right! Thanks again.