Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Frustration and some excitement

Frustration and some excitement

Old Aug 21st 2014, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

tratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Frustration and some excitement

Well the last few months have been interesting to say the least. We applied for passports in May and listed our house in June. the house sold in 3 weeks with a transfer date of Sept 3rd. We were still waiting on passports and trying to figure out if they would show up before the big move. Well then we hit a snag. My wife's application has been held up by a documentation issue that we are trying to resolve and I was required to provide a statement as to why I am applying from Canada. but today we received my son's passport by courrier! And hope to receive my daughters soon after. Then we just need passports for us adults. scary right now cause we move in less than 2 weeks now and then are just sitting waiting for passports. Nerve racking to say the least.

my Canadian family and England families are all very negative about this decision we made and are convinced we are better off here and that moving to England is a huge mistake as there is: rampant unemployment, homelessness , food banks on every corner, food prices are crazy high, renting privately costs far too much , etc... YET I have heard so many positive experiences from people here. No one can determine if I wi succeed in finding work or a place to live... No one can know if We will be happy there.

but, things arent all that bad in the UK is it?? please tell me I am not crazy, and that there is a good chance of success and being satisfied with daily life in the UK?? Anyone?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frustration and some excitement

No, it is not all that bad. Depends on your work ethic, morals, location and skills.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

You are definitely not crazy and the UK really isn't all that bad. There are problems in the Uk same as with any country but the picture being painted for you is not one that I have experienced since I returned. After being in the US for 18 years Im actually more in love with England than I ever thought possible. I dont see bleakness. There are jobs out there if you are willing to work to get them. Haven't seen one food bank. Renting in Yorkshire isn't that high in cost in fact its much better value for money than the US. I can rent a 3 bed semi for about 450- 500 gbp. Couldn't even get a studio for that in Boston. Food prices are also cheaper than the US. Only things that I have found so far to be more expensive is petrol and electronics.
If you really want to live back in the UK and that is where your heart is then you will make things happen for you. It may not be easy but if you are willing to work at it then it will happen.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

UK growth is forecast at 3,5 this year and 3,2 next. UK unemployment is dropping fast - about 6,4 percent now. Wages are sticking - slight increase year on year, (but tax changes meant last years figures look higher than they really were) but not keeping up quite with inflation - last figure 1.6 percent.
Employment is climbing fast over 800,000 new jobs created in last twelve months. This has been a pretty constant theme over the last three or four years.
Several studies recently put the UK as the best place in the word to invest - most competitive labour market in the developed world combined with geographical advantage.
Increased use of foodbanks have made a lot of headlines. Worth remembering that Government departments were not supposed to refer people to food banks until two or thee years ago, so the argument is a bit comparing apples and pears.

Housebuilding is finally on the increase after twenty years of decline, so there is a (very slim) chance house prices might get a bit more reasonable - at least for the kids!

Social statistic a mixed bag, but education reforms seem to be bearing fruit. Record numbers entering university. Many complaints re NHS, but whatever your experiences for me it is a matter of profound national pride that people are not turned away and are treated no matter what.

Weather not improved or as perfect as ever - take your pick it is personal. Me I love the English seasons.
Sport - still seem to have dreams of winning at football, but cricket still played on a thousand village greens and we won the last Test. Did pretty well in the Olympics and there are a few first class sporting venues as a result.
Food -loads of food writers say that restaurants are the best in the world. Certainly they beat France! And Spain. (Including El Bulli).

Need any more?

Last edited by bigglesworth; Aug 21st 2014 at 10:12 am. Reason: Omission
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

One last thing.
Whatever you read in the Mail or the Guardian, the UK is IME the most tolerant and welcoming country in the world. And I have lived in a few.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tratcliffe71
Well the last few months have been interesting to say the least. We applied for passports in May and listed our house in June. the house sold in 3 weeks with a transfer date of Sept 3rd. We were still waiting on passports and trying to figure out if they would show up before the big move. Well then we hit a snag. My wife's application has been held up by a documentation issue that we are trying to resolve and I was required to provide a statement as to why I am applying from Canada. but today we received my son's passport by courrier! And hope to receive my daughters soon after. Then we just need passports for us adults. scary right now cause we move in less than 2 weeks now and then are just sitting waiting for passports. Nerve racking to say the least.

my Canadian family and England families are all very negative about this decision we made and are convinced we are better off here and that moving to England is a huge mistake as there is: rampant unemployment, homelessness , food banks on every corner, food prices are crazy high, renting privately costs far too much , etc... YET I have heard so many positive experiences from people here. No one can determine if I wi succeed in finding work or a place to live... No one can know if We will be happy there.

but, things arent all that bad in the UK is it?? please tell me I am not crazy, and that there is a good chance of success and being satisfied with daily life in the UK?? Anyone?
They must be talking of an England in a parallel universe, it's certainly NOT like that, unemployment is the lowest it's been for many years, the economy is the best in the EU, even outstripping Germany, food prices are certainly NOT crazy high, unless you want to shop solely in Harrods, plenty of supermarkets trying to outdo each other with low prices.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

tratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I appreciate the positive tone in your replies. It warms my heart to know that I am not crazy.

I understand the English tendency to be negative, but with how things are going in the UK why would people try and dissuade someone with a false image of the way things are? I am 43 and finally following my heart and dream and I am discouraged easily by negativity. I try to let it roll off my back, but they put doubts in my mind and then I start to wonder, maybe they are right and I will end up homeless and jobless once I get there.

So thank you for reassuring me that the outlook is not all that bleak.

many thanks.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I appreciate the positive tone in your replies. It warms my heart to know that I am not crazy.

I understand the English tendency to be negative, but with how things are going in the UK why would people try and dissuade someone with a false image of the way things are? I am 43 and finally following my heart and dream and I am discouraged easily by negativity. I try to let it roll off my back, but they put doubts in my mind and then I start to wonder, maybe they are right and I will end up homeless and jobless once I get there.

So thank you for reassuring me that the outlook is not all that bleak.

many thanks.
Asked and answered, m'lud.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 2:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Beware the 'well-meaning' advice of family! They're telling you how they think things are/will be, which is nonsense and totally irrelevant to your decision. Some of the Brits have probably never even lived anywhere else and just have this rosy view that other countries must be better. Bollocks!

You sound like you're having very normal and very understandable last minute jitters. You and your wife have obviously thought the move through, and on balance you've decided that it's the right time. That's the most any of us can do, and that's all that matters.

Best of luck
Old Aug 21st 2014, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

� ���� � ����� ����
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT.
WE NEED IT.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

������ ������������
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT.
WE NEED IT.
Famous photographer on the board???
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

I have found the negative comments from loved ones is 'selfishly' based on them not wanting you to leave too. So whilst you have to stand strong on your decision, know that the opinions come from a good place usually. (I finally got my in laws to admit this)
Vice versa, the people back in the UK all think the grass is greener elsewhere.

You will be fine once you get there. The good thing is most expats have had to work hard to establish themselves when we left and we can do it again when we return.

There is no place like home. Remember that!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Famous photographer on the board???
sorry to disappoint. But no.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bnet36
I have found the negative comments from loved ones is 'selfishly' based on them not wanting you to leave too. So whilst you have to stand strong on your decision, know that the opinions come from a good place usually. (I finally got my in laws to admit this)
Vice versa, the people back in the UK all think the grass is greener elsewhere.

You will be fine once you get there. The good thing is most expats have had to work hard to establish themselves when we left and we can do it again when we return.

There is no place like home. Remember that!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 2:30 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

All of the negative points that your relatives raise are also problems in Canada and will vary by region, so don't be put off by them. The UK is not utopia, but I doubt that place exists. Each one of us will experience Canada,UK, USA etc differently as we are individuals. I left Canada after 30 years and I am happily settled in the UK, warts and all. Best of luck with your move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.