Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

frozen Cdn Pension upgrade in UK

frozen Cdn Pension upgrade in UK

Old Mar 31st 2021, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

captivation is an unknown quantity at this point
Default frozen Cdn Pension upgrade in UK

Looking to spend at least 3-6 mths in the UK soon and eventually moving back. I wanted to know if anyone from Canada has spent some months over in the UK that could tell me how much percentage
you get of an upgrade! Ive tried calling the Pension office and cannot get through, and nothing on the Gov.UK site can tell me, so need some help please/thanks.
Also IF I move back (Im a Scot) would my State Pension that I get now be upgraded to the same amount as everyone else? or would it still be a small upgrade. I only get 27 pounds a week right now.
any help would be appreciated.

Old Apr 1st 2021, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: frozen Cdn Pension upgrade in UK

Any increase you get will only be paid whilst you're physically in the UK. If you visit the UK then return to Canada it will revert to the previous amount when you leave.

Have you tried calling the International Pension Centre? Telephone: +44 (0) 191 218 7777

Last edited by ianandhelena; Apr 1st 2021 at 12:49 am.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: frozen Cdn Pension upgrade in UK

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Any increase you get will only be paid whilst you're physically in the UK. If you visit the UK then return to Canada it will revert to the previous amount when you leave.

Have you tried calling the International Pension Centre? Telephone: +44 (0) 191 218 7777
I had heard that it would be frozen at the new amount when you return to Canada but I can't confirm that via an information source so I would definitely call the pension centre as suggested.

This article suggests that it can be reset to the current amount if you return for a short visit.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...re-abroad.html

Expats who come back to the UK, whether for a short visit or for good, get their state pension uprated back to the full amount again if they apply to the Department for Work and Pensions service centre.

Last edited by durham_lad; Apr 1st 2021 at 1:07 pm.