Friday's question...

Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:58 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Friday's question...

Right come on how many people returning to the Uk this year have been told by other poms out here that" it won't be long before you come back again you'll see"?

I have had so many poms say this to me but it seems they also suffer hearing problems because when I tell them my reason's for returning it's like they didn't hear me.

Now I am not too worried about it as they have their reasons for being here but it did make me wonder does anyone else get this and if so how does it make you feel?

Also Mike or GDoc I reckon you guys would know any ideas of statistics for people going back to the UK and then heading back again to OZ to "re-settle"?

Or does anyone know anyone who has done this?

Please don't anyone start getting all upperty about this thread ok...or with each other ..well try not to. It's not a major whinge just a question ok...

Pants
happy to be cooler now
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:06 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi paula

my aussie friends say that they think i wont come back and think its great that im going home closer to family - but most of these friends are trying to get work in UK - and they are all in their 30 and 40's not backpackers - they love it over in uk!

my uk friends over here - give me mixed feelings - like 'i wish it was me' but then 'what are you going home for' - but these people are here because their partners are and if they wernt with their partners theyve admitted they wouldnt stay...

i have one aussie friend who keeps telling me that ill regret it and ill have a crap life back home in terms of accom jobs etc.... - she has no idea so i dont go there with her!

i have an aussie male friend who cant imagine living in uk - but then hes never left victoria and doesnt have a passport and hes 38!

my uk friends in the uk say 'come home' which is great.........

ultimatly ive told people that if i go home and decide oz was for me that i will come back - but thats doubtful....................

a couple say 'what are you going back for' but i just say - 'been here 5 years - want to go back'......
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:15 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jat
hi paula

my aussie friends say that they think i wont come back and think its great that im going home closer to family - but most of these friends are trying to get work in UK - and they are all in their 30 and 40's not backpackers - they love it over in uk!

my uk friends over here - give me mixed feelings - like 'i wish it was me' but then 'what are you going home for' - but these people are here because their partners are and if they wernt with their partners theyve admitted they wouldnt stay...

i have one aussie friend who keeps telling me that ill regret it and ill have a crap life back home in terms of accom jobs etc.... - she has no idea so i dont go there with her!

i have an aussie male friend who cant imagine living in uk - but then hes never left victoria and doesnt have a passport and hes 38!

my uk friends in the uk say 'come home' which is great.........

ultimatly ive told people that if i go home and decide oz was for me that i will come back - but thats doubtful....................

a couple say 'what are you going back for' but i just say - 'been here 5 years - want to go back'......
Hiya Jules

Yes my Aussie mates are fine about it and my pommie mates have family here so they can't really comment.

These comments I get are from people who don't even know me but somehow its come up in conversation ( as you do with other accents from UK) that I am going back and its the look of horror on their faces that gets me. Then I get the "you'll be back" phrase.

I know this thread is a bit similar to others we have discussed so sorry if its a repeat in some ways. I have also said to these people that if I come back then so be it but I too doubt it as my reasons for going in the first place won't change...

How's your friday anyway? did you manage to sell your white goods?

Paula
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:38 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

hi paula

the thing at the moment is to keep on track about moving back and not to listen to much to others... i had a friend say to me the other day 'but mel is great' and i said 'i agree' .... i thought no point in discussion because shes only here because her partner is! and i do think its great but i also think UK is great!

i sold my fridge on tuesday to a friend... which means i can hold onto it for a while... think she wants washing machine too! and i may have an offer for the TV from a friends friend and also sold 2 seater and 3 seater to other friends.....

still have bike and rollerblades and thats pretty much it!

bit bored - but will have to do some work in a minute though..

hows your friday?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:58 am
Live the moment

Originally posted by jat
hi paula

the thing at the moment is to keep on track about moving back and not to listen to much to others... i had a friend say to me the other day 'but mel is great' and i said 'i agree' .... i thought no point in discussion because shes only here because her partner is! and i do think its great but i also think UK is great!

i sold my fridge on tuesday to a friend... which means i can hold onto it for a while... think she wants washing machine too! and i may have an offer for the TV from a friends friend and also sold 2 seater and 3 seater to other friends.....

still have bike and rollerblades and thats pretty much it!

bit bored - but will have to do some work in a minute though..

hows your friday?
yes Jules will do. Keep on track.

Glad you sold those bits..we need to do garage sale to get rid of our toot. have put ad in paper for big stuff (not toot) but have only sold the gas fire..still there is time.

My day is ok...been to gym and now going to get babe up and take her food shopping..oh Joy!!! thats about as exciting as it gets.

Check out under "the lounge" then " the site of the day "thread and go to last page and see the website Larissa has posted...some funny videos on it...those bad american idol one...!! worth a giggle
have a good weekend
cheers
P
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:05 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

hi paula

have a great weekend - going to get a bottle of wine in a minute to take to friends.. mm may start in office shortly too!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Most are non-committal - just "Yep, we understand"

One Aussie friend , who has a daughter and son-in-law in Paris and London said "Yes, I can see why you want to go back".

A friend from the UK, who has been here for 14 years, simply called me a "tosser" !!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:18 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

i know an aussie guy who had never been to the UK until recently - he also went to europe

he was amazed by london and paris etc etc and could totally understand why i would go back - and in fact probably could not understand why i hadnt gone back earlier! he would love the opp to go over but cant due to many reasons.....

the thing is mike - you can come back if you want to (i assume you have passport etc) so its not like you cant ever come back

people on this forum seem to think that if you come to australia that you cant leave - and if you leave - why?

people have different wants and different needs at different times in their lives..........................

mike - where are you heading to in UK...? sorry if ive asked you that before
Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jat
i know an aussie guy who had never been to the UK until recently - he also went to europe

he was amazed by london and paris etc etc and could totally understand why i would go back - and in fact probably could not understand why i hadnt gone back earlier! he would love the opp to go over but cant due to many reasons.....

the thing is mike - you can come back if you want to (i assume you have passport etc) so its not like you cant ever come back

people on this forum seem to think that if you come to australia that you cant leave - and if you leave - why?

people have different wants and different needs at different times in their lives..........................

mike - where are you heading to in UK...? sorry if ive asked you that before

We're going to Harpenden - be there in ~3 weeks time.

I must be a dinky di Aussie - I'm an Oz citizen and have an Oz passport

["What!!!" say the Aussie Witnesses - and you're still going back? Are you seriously weird ????!!! Have another tinny...] As you rightly say, I can come back when/if I want to.

By the way, all you out there, I gather quite a lot of Poms do not become Aussie citizens, even though they have been in Oz for many years. Now what's THAT about, huh ???!!!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by MikeStanton
We're going to Harpenden - be there in ~3 weeks time.

I must be a dinky di Aussie - I'm an Oz citizen and have an Oz passport

["What!!!" say the Aussie Witnesses - and you're still going back? Are you seriously weird ????!!! Have another tinny...] As you rightly say, I can come back when/if I want to.

By the way, all you out there, I gather quite a lot of Poms do not become Aussie citizens, even though they have been in Oz for many years. Now what's THAT about, huh ???!!!

"Aussie Witnesses", where are they today?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
"Aussie Witnesses", where are they today?
Probably busy - armed with their white shirts, white teeth and a Koala on each shoulder - spreading da word
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by MikeStanton
I'm not sure why so many fail to take out citizenship - maybe they think they have to give up their British citizenship? I think there is still some confusion.

I recently received my new British passport from the Embassy in Canberra together with a leaflet confirming "the British government has no objection to their citizens obtaining Australian citizenship".

I'm looking forward to my citizenship ceremony in a few months, our local council do a great ceremony amongst the gum trees!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kath
I'm not sure why so many fail to take out citizenship - maybe they think they have to give up their British citizenship? I think there is still some confusion.

I recently received my new British passport from the Embassy in Canberra together with a leaflet confirming "the British government has no objection to their citizens obtaining Australian citizenship".

I'm looking forward to my citizenship ceremony in a few months, our local council do a great ceremony amongst the gum trees!
Sounds great! Mine was in Sydney on a rainy day And I didn't like to swear allegiance to the Queen. Wait a minute...I'm a Republican and an Aussie citizen, the song "I still call Australia home" plucks at my heartstrings and I'm still going back to the UK ...and I'm looking forward to it
Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:13 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Friday's question...

Originally posted by Pants
Right come on how many people returning to the Uk this year have been told by other poms out here that" it won't be long before you come back again you'll see"?

Pants
happy to be cooler now
Hiya Pants

I'm back using a dodgy dial-in and I'll send you a PM shortly!

Yep, many Pom's here are "Ping Pong Pom's" and I listen to what they have to say but heck they aren't me are they?

I have no idea what is around the corner but spoke to my Mum last night on the phone and knew I am doing the right thing regardless of the bleating's on the Forum of the crap UK - weather, crime, housing, la de da. Couldn't care less if I live in a box outside Tesco's, though I don't think that prospect is very real!

I can't wait!

M

Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:30 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Friday's question...

Originally posted by Merlot
Hiya Pants

I'm back using a dodgy dial-in and I'll send you a PM shortly!

Yep, many Pom's here are "Ping Pong Pom's" and I listen to what they have to say but heck they aren't me are they?

I have no idea what is around the corner but spoke to my Mum last night on the phone and knew I am doing the right thing regardless of the bleating's on the Forum of the crap UK - weather, crime, housing, la de da. Couldn't care less if I live in a box outside Tesco's, though I don't think that prospect is very real!

I can't wait!

M
Hi M & Pants,

In the UK it's definitely drilled into you by the media that its all doom and gloom...they can't sell papers otherwise...it's all sex and scandal.....best bet is to avoid them. I just take stock of how things really are around me and whether a lot of what appears in the news actually affects me...if it doesn't I ignore it...if it does, I take steps to make sure that its effect is minimal. I would have liked to make more of a go of the move overseas, but I am soooo happy to be near friends and family...it certainly made me appreciate them much more......

I imagine some re-pats do go back to Oz or wherever from the UK after a while, but I am happy with my prospective lot as life is more than the place you live in.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.