French expat in Newcastle

Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French expat in Newcastle

Originally Posted by guillaumehefty
Yes i was waiting for it. I just hope that create an account in UK for only 8,5 months isn't hard and expensive ..
Having done both I can confirm that banking in the UK is far simpler than France. Many banks will be very happy to offer you a student account and will offer various perks to get your business such a free railcard and a large interest-free overdraft. You will need proof of ID and address to open this type of account but if proof of address is a problem then you can open a 'basic' bank account which won't come with an overdraft.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:28 am
Just Joined

guillaumehefty is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i know that being french allow me to face all the administration problems abroad haha
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 4:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guillaumehefty
Maybe I'll meet him then !
If you mean my neighbour, its a she, a Greek she. She's one of the lecturers.

I have new questions : I was checking for an accommodation, and I found a lot of student residences. I just don't really understand : on their websites the prices are always written /week.
The habit in the Uk of pricing things per week is a throwback to the 1950's and early '60s when "workers" received a weekly pay packet (a brown envelope very lightly stuffed with 10 shilling notes and a few coins). Even today, footballers' wages are given in a format such as £250,000 per week and distances are reported as e.g. 7 times the length of a football field. The Uk is a very odd place in many ways.

And final question, if the money is taken on my account, does it work with a french account ?
I'd fully expect that is doesn't.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 4:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I thought I had gotten away with it! There are always honourable exceptions of course
Don't worry, Geordie christmas cards are better than scousers' too.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:48 am
Just Joined

guillaumehefty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If you mean my neighbour, its a she, a Greek she. She's one of the lecturers.

The habit in the Uk of pricing things per week is a throwback to the 1950's and early '60s when "workers" received a weekly pay packet (a brown envelope very lightly stuffed with 10 shilling notes and a few coins). Even today, footballers' wages are given in a format such as £250,000 per week and distances are reported as e.g. 7 times the length of a football field. The Uk is a very odd place in many ways.

I'd fully expect that is doesn't.
Thank you sir ! I'll post here in the future if I need further informations !
Thank you everyone (again)!