French expat in Newcastle

Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:49 am
Just Joined

guillaumehefty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French expat in Newcastle

First of all : sorry for my mistakes in english, I'll try to do my best ! I would appreciate if you correct my in case of really big mistake

I'll move to Newcastle next September to join the Northumbria University in the business department. I receive yesterday my approval, so I'm starting to collect information about what I need to do and have as few problems as possible !

I could just google this, but my situation is a bit complicated.. Actually, I'm at the moment doing an internship in Malta. And I'll be back in France only on August. Also, with the Brexit, I don't really know how it works now for me, French citizen... So, what do I need to know first ? And will I have problems about some administration papers of things like that ?
If you want also to share me tips, about Newcastle or UK in general, it will be a pleasure!

If someone have the generosity to help me, it would be great !

Thank you

Last edited by guillaumehefty; Mar 13th 2018 at 9:52 am.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:58 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French expat in Newcastle

Bonjour Guillaume.

The UK is currently scheduled to leave the EU in March 2019. If you arrive in Newcastle in September 2018 then your freedom of movement rights will continue to be protected after Brexit under the current proposals.

There is little in the way of paperwork for you to complete at the moment. You are no longer able to register for an EEA residence card. Instead the UK government recommends waiting until after Brexit when a new 'settled' status will be available for EU/EEA citizens resident in the UK.

P.S. Bon chance understanding the Geordie accent.

Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Newcastle is a great city, my eldest brother has lived near Whitley Bay for donkeys years. He went to Newcastle uni in about 1975 and never came back.

You need to acquire a taste for a pint of Newcastle Brown and a stottie for your lunch.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Bonjour Guillaume.

The UK is currently scheduled to leave the EU in March 2019. If you arrive in Newcastle in September 2018 then your freedom of movement rights will continue to be protected after Brexit under the current proposals.
I'll stay until May or June 2019, so if I understood well, I won't have any problem about Brexit even after its "release" ?
But, after March 2019, if I want to go back in France for few days, it won't be possible to stay under the current proposals right ?

P.S. Bon chance understanding the Geordie accent.
I'll try to do my best ! Is it as terrible as you say ?

Thank you for your help !
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guillaumehefty
I'll stay until May or June 2019, so if I understood well, I won't have any problem about Brexit even after its "release" ?
But, after March 2019, if I want to go back in France for few days, it won't be possible to stay under the current proposals right ?
If you are only staying for one academic year then you won't have a problem at all. Current plans call for a two year 'transition' period so EU/EEA citizens can still come and go as they please until March 2021.

It's a great accent/dialect, definitely one of the more attractive British regional accents, but it can be very hard to understand, even for other native English speakers.

Newcastle is a great city and the people are great as well. Much better than Manchester or Liverpool
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Newcastle is a great city, my eldest brother has lived near Whitley Bay for donkeys years. He went to Newcastle uni in about 1975 and never came back.

You need to acquire a taste for a pint of Newcastle Brown and a stottie for your lunch.
First thing I'll do in UK is your beer don't worry ! 20 years old I'm hearing about it, i hope to not be disappointed !

Perfect, thank you BritInParis for this information !
Ok I see, i hope people will be kind and will try to speak the english i learned
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Wey nay pet you'll find we're a friendly bunch. Good luck
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Newcastle is a great city. The people are known as being some of the friendliest in the world. Don't be surprised for example if on public transport someone just starts having a conversation with you.

There is a huge amount to do and the city is renowned for its nightlife. But also loads of cultural things. It has some amazing beaches nearby such as South Shields which in summer also has big free concerts most weekends. To the north south and west are some of the best bits of countryside anyone could wish for.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 4:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Bienvenue � l'avance chez les Geordies

I'm a retired academic living ~50/50 between Newcastle and Basse Normandie. My neighbour will be a colleague of yours when you start in the business dept. of Northumbia U.

Newcastle is a (mostly) hidden gem of a city these days.

Bon choix and if I can help with local info, just ask.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 13th 2018 at 4:44 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Maybe I'll meet him then !

I have new questions : I was checking for an accommodation, and I found a lot of student residences. I just don't really understand : on their websites the prices are always written /week.

How does it work in UK ? Is it taken on my account or I have to pay someone directly ? Do I have to do it every week, or it's just to give an idea and i can pay each month ?
And final question, if the money is taken on my account, does it work with a french account ?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:00 am

I have new questions : I was checking for an accommodation, and I found a lot of student residences. I just don't really understand : on their websites the prices are always written /week.

How does it work in UK ? Is it taken on my account or I have to pay someone directly ? Do I have to do it every week, or it's just to give an idea and i can pay each month ?
And final question, if the money is taken on my account, does it work with a french account ?
Student accommodation is usually given as a weekly rate although (at least in my day) you pay up front for each term. Rent is normally paid on a monthly basis in the UK. You'll have to check the small print or ask.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Newcastle is a great city and the people are great as well. Much better than Manchester or Liverpool
I just saw this! You're off the Christmas card list
Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I just saw this! You're off the Christmas card list
I thought I had gotten away with it! There are always honourable exceptions of course
Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not.
You will pay in £s and your french account is in €s.
You are going to a town that has a lot of students and the banks will probably be able to give you a student account.
I have a french bank account out of respect to local services.
It is much easier to pay for local services using a local bank account.
You may need to apply for accommodation before you arrive otherwise all the best rooms will be taken.
The university will probably have an accommodation office to advise new students. Check their website.
Good luck
Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
Probably not.
You will pay in £s and your french account is in €s.
You are going to a town that has a lot of students and the banks will probably be able to give you a student account.
I have a french bank account out of respect to local services.
It is much easier to pay for local services using a local bank account.
You may need to apply for accommodation before you arrive otherwise all the best rooms will be taken.
The university will probably have an accommodation office to advise new students. Check their website.
Good luck
Yes i was waiting for it. I just hope that create an account in UK for only 8,5 months isn't hard and expensive ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.