Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Freaking out over schooling on moving to the UK!

Freaking out over schooling on moving to the UK!

Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freaking out over schooling on moving to the UK!

Originally Posted by phoenix3

hi there.
I managed it this way so perhaps the original poster should try it. All the best.
They can certainly try. But as per all the official info (i.e. https://www.gov.uk/schools-admissions/applying plus all the council websites), schools usually only do admissions themselves if they are independent and have their own criteria. The OP mentions the council, so presumably they've already looked in to the application process for where they are moving to, but I agree a quick phone call to the school may be worth a try - although if the school does imply they can have a place as yours have done, I would also check that with the council just in case!

Old Jun 27th 2019, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freaking out over schooling on moving to the UK!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Because admissions are done by Local Authorities, not the schools themselves, unless it's a private or free school usually. So if phoenix3 managed it that way then that's great, but would be very rare and it unlikely to be applicable to the OP, who would have to go through the normal application process with his/her council.
Some Academies, of which there are now many, have options to give some places to students who excel in certain areas. Our daughter auditioned for a place in a Performing Arts based Academy, well outside out catchment area and got a place that way. It was limited, but they certainly do have some wriggle room.