Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Freaking out over schooling on moving to the UK!

Freaking out over schooling on moving to the UK!

Old Jun 13th 2019, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

blackscholes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freaking out over schooling on moving to the UK!

Hello everyone. We are moving to the UK mid of August this year. I have twin daughters aged 5 and I really worried about their school admissions as the school term will start shortly after we arrive.

Very worried that kids could miss out a whole year of schooling due to our late application or miss a significant part. Do not want to delay our arrival after going through the hectic spouse visa process. Please advise on the best course of action? Any chance the council we apply to would be able to accommodate the kids in such a short time span?

Would be very grateful for your input. Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2019, 1:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freaking out over schooling on moving to the UK!

Originally Posted by blackscholes View Post
Hello everyone. We are moving to the UK mid of August this year. I have twin daughters aged 5 and I really worried about their school admissions as the school term will start shortly after we arrive.

Very worried that kids could miss out a whole year of schooling due to our late application or miss a significant part. Do not want to delay our arrival after going through the hectic spouse visa process. Please advise on the best course of action? Any chance the council we apply to would be able to accommodate the kids in such a short time span?

Depending on whether or not your closest/preferred school has a waiting list you may not get to choose the school your daughters attend, but they will be offered a place at a school.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:27 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As SoS says, they will get a place in a school. The local authority is obliged to educate them, so even though it may not be the school of your choice, they won't miss out
Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep as above the local authority are legally obliged to find them a school place. Doesn't mean it'll be your first (or possibly even second or third) choice, and it may be some distance away, depending on how oversubscribed your area is. But they certainly won't be unable to go to school.

HTH.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:57 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, as per advice above, education for five-year-olds in the UK is mandatory, so the Local Education Authority has no option but to provide places at school.

This would be true even if your arrival in the UK was delayed and you arrived in, say, October, after the school year had started - your daughters would be placed in age-appropriate classes at that time.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 5:34 am
Just Joined

happy-go-lucky-lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Facing similar problem with moving back right in the middle of the UK school year, so I will instead head 'home' first, with the kids' staying with their Dad and coming over to join me once I've got a short-term rental property sorted out. Where I rent is obviously driven by finding somewhere within the catchment area of the specific schools we'd like to try to get the kids' into, but of course, there's no guarantee they will get into that particular school.......*huge sigh*.

I'm trying to mitigate it as much as I can by making direct contact with the schools, and they have been all been lovely and helpful, so it might be worthwhile doing the same if you know the area you'll be settling in.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 6:36 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a maximum travel distance for the schools for kids placed into an available spot?
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

phoenix3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we connected with the local school via email. They replied back the next day and we will pop in to finalize registration the day before school starts. The process was straightforward, and please don't stress out. All the best
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix3 View Post
Hi, we connected with the local school via email. They replied back the next day and we will pop in to finalize registration the day before school starts. The process was straightforward, and please don't stress out. All the best
This is a private school I assume?
Old Jun 25th 2019, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you assume that ? Do you just assume that state schools would not provide that level of service ?
Old Jun 25th 2019, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Why do you assume that ? Do you just assume that state schools would not provide that level of service ?
hi there this is regular school.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Because admissions are done by Local Authorities, not the schools themselves, unless it's a private or free school usually. So if phoenix3 managed it that way then that's great, but would be very rare and it unlikely to be applicable to the OP, who would have to go through the normal application process with his/her council.

Old Jun 25th 2019, 6:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by phoenix3 View Post

hi there this is regular school.
Whereabouts are you moving to?
Old Jun 25th 2019, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Because admissions are done by Local Authorities, not the schools themselves, unless it's a private or free school usually. So if phoenix3 managed it that way then that's great, but would be very rare and it unlikely to be applicable to the OP, who would have to go through the normal application process with his/her council.
hi there.
I managed it this way so perhaps the original poster should try it. All the best.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 6:42 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
..... So if phoenix3 managed it that way then that's great, but would be very rare and it unlikely to be applicable .......
How do you know that it is rare? I agree it might not be "by the book" procedure, but I have no idea if it is "rare."

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.