Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Forty foot container cost USA to UK

Forty foot container cost USA to UK

Old Mar 4th 2016, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forty foot container cost USA to UK

This are the costs I was given for a forty foot container loading next week due in Southampton on March 27th.
We are around 120 miles from Norfolk VA upon which the inland transport cost is based.
Chassis rental $120

Inland transport to Norfolk VA $775

Documentation $100

Ocean freight to Southampton $924

Low Sulphur fuel surcharge per 40ft container $100

Two hours to load additional time $85 per hour
Old Mar 5th 2016, 12:51 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forty foot container cost USA to UK

Damn thats cheap... whats the question lol
Old Mar 5th 2016, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

What about clearance etc in UK? Delivery to your new property? Unloading?
Check the estimate carefully or you could find the shipping is the cheapest part!
When we moved here in 2013, a 20ft container, packed in UK, furniture stored for 2 months, packed into container and shipped to Cebu cost just on £2000. We then engaged a local friend who runs a shipping company to receive the container, clear customs etc, transport to property and unload. This cost an extra £600 approx. Most of which was customs documentation etc.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Damn thats cheap... whats the question lol
No question just giving information on current shipping costs as the topic does crop up.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 4:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
What about clearance etc in UK? Delivery to your new property? Unloading? .....
He's commercial not residential, and based on his previous posts likely cars and/or bikes and parts upto and including motors.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He's commercial not residential, and based on his previous posts likely cars and/or bikes and parts upto and including motors.
Correct but the basic costs are the same. I did not include the $300 I paid to have the titles processed by customs.

I pay the UK charges in pounds.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

kamrpatel is an unknown quantity at this point

Please can you tell me what is name of the shipping company you have got this quote from.

Thanks.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 12:41 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if the cost of a 40 foot container is twice that of a 20 foot in the end. This will be UK to Canada, but same amount of goods inside. We used a 20 foot when coming over, but my husband has the idea that things won't be so tightly packed in a 40 foot.

Is a half-full container more liable to shifting and breakage?

Anyone know?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm wondering if the cost of a 40 foot container is twice that of a 20 foot in the end. This will be UK to Canada, but same amount of goods inside. We used a 20 foot when coming over, but my husband has the idea that things won't be so tightly packed in a 40 foot.

Anyone know?
A lot of the costs are fixed - admin and customs fees, and handling and delivery of the container. A 20ft "half" container can't be delivered by half a driver driving half a lorry!

If the container is properly loaded stuff shouldn't move around, much. I have loaded and unloaded many trucks myself and seen the results of loads moving around .... and been commended by truck drivers and customers for the quality of my loading. I would prefer my stuff to be shipped in a tightly-packed 20ft container every time over bouncing around in a half-full 40ft container.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm

Anyone know?
I agree with Pulaski the savings on a 20 foot container are minimal the port handling is less.
Also in agreement in that a container needs to be tightly packed to minimize movement, the handling on the docks and rough seas can cause a lot of damage in a poorly packed container.

The only time I would use a 20 would be say for engines from the UK where the handling and warehouse charges on one pallet are high as we have no direct less than load shipping to Norfolk our closest port and it will ship via another port.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Left Norfolk VA on the 18th due in Southampton on the 30th quite a fast crossing.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

We've always put a 'bulkhead' in a 40' container to minimize movement. Pack the front as tightly as possible, but not too high. Bulkhead about 1/2 way or so; 2nd bulkhead if needed. We used OSB and 2x4s - works a treat.

The first time we did this, the front half had all the household goods, and the back had my 1978 Triumph Spitfire, which was secured with blocks. All arrived in perfect condition. Knock wood, but aside from a little scrape here and there on furniture we've never had any breakage or damage. The key is planning the load and sticking to the plan.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vadio
We've always put a 'bulkhead' in a 40' container to minimize movement. Pack the front as tightly as possible, but not too high. Bulkhead about 1/2 way or so; 2nd bulkhead if needed. We used OSB and 2x4s - works a treat.

The first time we did this, the front half had all the household goods, and the back had my 1978 Triumph Spitfire, which was secured with blocks. All arrived in perfect condition. Knock wood, but aside from a little scrape here and there on furniture we've never had any breakage or damage. The key is planning the load and sticking to the plan.
I have mentioned this before, ply or any type of manufactured wood is fine but a plain 2x4 must be heat treated and stamped to certify it meets the ISPM 15 specifications. The place we use has a rolling stamp which runs down the whole 2x4 .

Last edited by ottotheboar; Mar 27th 2016 at 2:25 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

UK charges as follows
Prices in UK Pounds

Terminal handling 135.00
Documentation 45.00
Line security fee 25.00
Customs clearance 51.50
Port security fee 18.50
Port exam fee 37.50
Equipment 6.00
Deferment 35.00
Haulage to W. Midlands 581.63
Agency fee 35.00
Old Apr 5th 2016, 4:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

No-one has included insurance costs!

We have done a few international moves (and will do so again this Summer) all fortunately paid for my my husband's employer and when the shippers ask you for the value of your goods (one guy said to me "you would be surprised at how many containers go overboard at sea") and you give your best estimate, it is alarming at how much the price goes up!

Btw - we have never shipped expensive furniture, paintings, sports equipment etc, just the usual household stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.