Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Forgot to menton - Important passport info for babies if born in Oz & returning to UK

Forgot to menton - Important passport info for babies if born in Oz & returning to UK

Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:13 pm
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Forgot to menton - Important passport info for babies if born in Oz & returning to UK

On returning to the UK 7 weeks ago, our final drama, when we landed was the fact that we had only got our little boy on an Aussie passport. We had done this as it was quicker than getting a UK one (we would get one on our return if we needed to travel) and didn't think we would have an issue, oh how wrong we were!!

This was not a good move, we had a very scary half hour of interrogation and he was very nearly not let into the country!!!

The rest of us were on UK passports. Apparently it is not merely enough that he is born to British parents and he is ours.

To cut a long story short he has had 3 month endorsement (or a word something like that anyway) put on his passport and we have to get him a UK one in that time.

Too scared to look into what would happen if we don't, they might deport the little mite

Easier said than done as the Child Benefit Agency take an age to process child allowance and still have his birth certificate. Hubby had a very 'computer says no' conversation with one of the clerks to speed things up and got absolutely nowhere.

The conversation went something like this. I heard him yelling

"What do you mean it will take another 4 weeks?!!!! Can't you contact someone?, send an email? What do you mean it takes 72 hours for a reply? are you in the same building as that department? You are, well then if you are, can't you go and speak to that person. no? why not? You're NOT ALLOWED, what do you mean you are not allowed, oh for God's sake........." very funny like watching a comedy.

DON'T MAKE OUR MISTAKE GET YOUR CHILDREN UK PASSPORTS IF YOU ARE COMING BACK.

</IMG>
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forgot to menton - Important passport info for babies if born in Oz & returning t

Originally Posted by Desperate House Flies
On returning to the UK 7 weeks ago, our final drama, when we landed was the fact that we had only got our little boy on an Aussie passport. We had done this as it was quicker than getting a UK one (we would get one on our return if we needed to travel) and didn't think we would have an issue, oh how wrong we were!!

This was not a good move, we had a very scary half hour of interrogation and he was very nearly not let into the country!!!

The rest of us were on UK passports. Apparently it is not merely enough that he is born to British parents and he is ours.

To cut a long story short he has had 3 month endorsement (or a word something like that anyway) put on his passport and we have to get him a UK one in that time.

Too scared to look into what would happen if we don't, they might deport the little mite

Easier said than done as the Child Benefit Agency take an age to process child allowance and still have his birth certificate. Hubby had a very 'computer says no' conversation with one of the clerks to speed things up and got absolutely nowhere.

"What do you mean it will take another 4 weeks?!!!! Can't you contact someone?, send an email? What do you mean it takes 72 hours for a reply? are you in the same building as that department? You are, well then if you are, can't you go and speak to that person. no? why not? You're NOT ALLOWED, what do you mean you are not allowed, oh for God's sake........." very funny like watching a comedy.

</IMG>
We leave Canada on July 13th and thankfully I've already got my Canadian born kids their British Passports. After reading your experience I can see it is well worth the expense. I hope you get things straightened out soon.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:11 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forgot to menton - Important passport info for babies if born in Oz & returning t

This is a great tip, DHF. Inspired by your advice, I have created an article called British Children Born Abroad in the MBTTUK section of the Wiki. It states:

• If you are moving back to the UK with your child who was born abroad but who is a British citizen by descent from you, it is strongly recommended that you bring your child into the UK with a British passport.

• If you travel to the UK on holiday, it's okay for your child to travel on a foreign passport.

• But, if you enter the UK with the intention of resuming residence in the country, you may run into big problems at your port of entry if your child is not entering the UK on a British passport.

• A forum member reported that she and her husband were given a difficult time at the airport when they brought their foreign-born child into the UK on a foreign passport. Immigration officials eventually relented and gave them temporary authorisation to bring their child into the UK. But, in the following weeks, there were all sorts of bureaucratic chores that the couple had to do in order to rectify the situation.

If there is anything wrong with it, I would appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to flag the error. Please feel free to make the correction directly in the Wiki article itself, or else mention it here and I will correct the Wiki.

The statement that I am not confident about is the one that claims that it's okay to go on holiday to the UK with a child who is travelling on a foreign passport. I think that's true, but am not sure it is.

Thanks.
x
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:28 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, because there is a Wiki article called Shipping Pets Back to the UK, I was tempted for one fleeting second to create an article called Shipping Kids Back to the UK. However, I decided to be good, and refrained from doing so.
x
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

The statement that I am not confident about is the one that claims that it's okay to go on holiday to the UK with a child who is travelling on a foreign passport. I think that's true, but am not sure it is.

Thanks.
x
Hi Judy

You're correct.

When I went on holiday to the UK my kids only had Canadian passports and I had my British Passport. The only problem was deciding which queue to join, other than that it's perfectly fine.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:34 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Hi Judy

You're correct.

When I went on holiday to the UK my kids only had Canadian passports and I had my British Passport. The only problem was deciding which queue to join, other than that it's perfectly fine.
Thanks, Elaine. That sets my mind at rest.
x
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:38 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

could you order a new birth certificate rather than wait? in the uk you can get the certified copies quite quickly - not sure if that true for other countries.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

troj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant future

</IMG>
WOW!!

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Our little boy was born three months ago and we have him on a Aussie passport thinking that would be the easiest way to get him home in Sept.

Paul.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Know what you mean about Child Benefit my issues has been going on since January and low and behold they have lost all my paperwork again!!!:curse: and now want to know the ins and outs of why we were out the country for so long and why we come back!!! I have rang child Benefit loads of times and as its a help desk (ridculous) they have to leave a message for the woman to ring me!!! told her not to ring school runs times and of course what do they do ring when Im out taking/picking kids up:curse: they are crap!!! Bet if we were Eastern Europeans it wouldnt happen!!!!

BTW it took 4 months for me to get my birth certificates back!!!

Kath
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

oh my god we had the same interogation at heathrow, as we did the same but they let us through eventually, and just said not to wait too long before getting one.... which i have just done and we have been back since november!!! hope we dont get into trouble
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

</IMG>

There was stuff on here last year about this and we got our little one both passports and also a citizenship certificate because apparently the passport doesn't guarantee Australian citizenship forever. You just have to apply for the certificate and there's a small fee I think. The other problem is that if you come in on different passports the baby would formally be expected to go through a different customs line to you. Hope this helps.

Jo