Foreign accents

Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:52 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Foreign accents

Try as we might, I'm sure a lot of the returning expats have picked up an accent over time. Has anyone experienced problems (other than a little piss-taking) because of it?
Moving on from that, how do the news reports on racism/nationalism compare with real life for English folks moving to Scotland and Wales?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:16 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign accents

I'm not quite in that position. I am a kiwi and when I arrived in the UK a recruitment consultant said 'don't worry you will lose your accent in a year'. I was a bit put out about this, and he was wrong anyway. 23 years later I still have it!!!

Anyhow, my kiwi accent makes me distinctive and it is actually a good point. Most people have favourable impressions of kiwi's and I think this rubs off a bit. People are curious and ask you where you are from etc. So long as you don't mind being asked this over and over, it is fine. I quite like being a bit different. When I go to NZ they all think I am a pomme!

If you are in a business like sales it actually makes you more memorable too which good give you the edge on someone who sounds like everybody else. The kiwi accent is also not easy to pigeonhole into the British class system.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Having flatshared with Oz & Kiwi folk too numerous to mention, I do know the basic difference - but don't you think most Brits just think you're from somewhere 'down under' & not know exactly where? The way we are heard in foreign languages is the same kind of thing.... in Buenos Aires, the locals thought I spoke Spanish like an American! ()
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked and traveled over the world, been in Oz for 20yrs (on and off) and wouldn't say I have an Oz accent at all, but have lost a bit of my strong Somerset accent. I've been lucky enough to sit in some pretty high level international meetings (and some pretty low level ones as well ).

As a professional, I think respect for the other people in the room and your internal and external clients transcends any hang ups about where people are from. The only place I've seen it brought up is in Oz and that's usually when you're dealing with people in the room that are 'travel challenged', we'll say.

Accents and where people are from interests me a great deal, but I have to say, not at all at work. Only if I need to take into consideration the cultural difference of how a negotiation/language is is being interpreted.

Having said that I think it works greatly in your favour when looking at prospective jobs etc. Multi nationals tend to favour people who aren't hung up on different cultures and are willing to live and be deployed in non Anglo countries. It's served me well.

In your private life it can be a different matter. I tend to get on best with people who aren't from an English speaking backround, or are English. I don't really have any overt interest in people from Oz, NZ, USA etc. They are some great people from those countries and I have great friends from all of them, but the 'allure' for me is the difference from the norm.

So if I hear an non English Anglo accent, I tend to not really notice it to any degree.

Guess that's why I lived in Colombia and married a Korean

Last edited by Tr1boy; Feb 10th 2009 at 9:21 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:04 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Having flatshared with Oz & Kiwi folk too numerous to mention, I do know the basic difference - but don't you think most Brits just think you're from somewhere 'down under' & not know exactly where? The way we are heard in foreign languages is the same kind of thing.... in Buenos Aires, the locals thought I spoke Spanish like an American! ()
Yeah that's true to some extent. Most are sensible enough to ask where I'm from rather than assume. Occasionally I get where abouts in Australia are you from, or sometimes even ask if I'm South African. They do realise there is a difference between Oz andn NZ even if they are not exactly sure what it is. I did have someone once assume I was a yank

I like the Somerset accent by the way
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I've worked and traveled over the world, been in Oz for 20yrs (on and off) and wouldn't say I have an accent, but have lost a bit of my strong Somerset accent. I've been lucky enough to sit in some pretty high level international meetings (and some pretty low level ones as well ).

As a professional, I think respect for the other people in the room and your internal and external clients transcends any hang ups about where people are from. The only place I've seen it brought up is in Oz and that's usually when you're dealing with people in the room that are 'travel challenged', we'll say.

Accents and where people are from interests me a great deal, but I have to say, not at all at work. Only if I need to take into consideration the cultural difference of how a negotiation/language is is being interpreted.

Having said that I think it works greatly in your favour when looking at prospective jobs etc. Multi nationals tend to favour people who aren't hung up on different cultures and are willing to live and be deployed in non Anglo countries. It's served me well.

In your private life it can be a fifferent matter. I tend to get on best with people who aren't from an English speaking backround, or are English. I don't really have any overt interest in people from Oz, NZ, USA etc. They are some great people from those countries and I have great friends from all of them, but the 'allure' for me is the difference from the norm.

So if I hear an non English Anglo accent, I tend to not really notice it to any degree.

Guess that's why I lived in Colombia and married a Korean

Just going back to Somerset for a mo, I think the country bumpkin thing can actually work in your favour too... my OH & I both went to school in Taunton; I've got a middle England almost old fashioned BBC accent, he's broad Somerset. Chartered accountant, businessman and sharp as you make 'em, he often has people assuming he's not as bright as he is. I've seen it happen, so it's not a fairy story... an estate agent was showing us a house & they were almost talking to me 'over' him. Rude & ridiculous, but true. That was only last year. Point being he can negotiate in business without people realising he's up with the game!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Just going back to Somerset for a mo, I think the country bumpkin thing can actually work in your favour too... my OH & I both went to school in Taunton; I've got a middle England almost old fashioned BBC accent, he's broad Somerset. Chartered accountant, businessman and sharp as you make 'em, he often has people assuming he's not as bright as he is. I've seen it happen, so it's not a fairy story... an estate agent was showing us a house & they were almost talking to me 'over' him. Rude & ridiculous, but true. That was only last year. Point being he can negotiate in business without people realising he's up with the game!
Can't say this has happened to me, but a lot of my corporate life has been outside of the UK. But my sister lives in Stokenchurch, Bucks which is solicitor and stockbroker central, and she said when she first moved there she copped some grief off of the other mothers, especially as she worked as well (heaven forbid! ). I'm pretty sure she would have had a vocal transplant back then if she could. Her accent has changed a fair bit (more than mine probably) but she works for a prominent law firm in Gerrards Cross, so she probably had to do that to get past Border Control She's fitted in well now though (and lives in a better house than most of them!).

I try and keep my accent as it's part of who I am. But I used to have to make an effort not to use any Somerset words like 'gert' I try not to use any colloquialisms at all though. Being a CELTA qualified teacher it goes against the grain nowadays and I even have to use full words when I text.

But I never hide my accent. In fact I love 'topping it up' when I'm home. I was in Taunton a few weeks ago, bought a motorcycle calendar in Hatchers.

People do assume i know how to drive a tractor though!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Can't say this has happened to me, but a lot of my corporate life has been outside of the UK. But my sister lives in Stokenchurch, Bucks which is solicitor and stockbroker central, and she said when she first moved there she copped some grief off of the other mothers, especially as she worked as well (heaven forbid! ). I'm pretty sure she would have had a vocal transplant back then if she could. Her accent has changed a fair bit (more than mine probably) but she works for a prominent law firm in Gerrards Cross, so she probably had to do that to get past Border Control She's fitted in well now though (and lives in a better house than most of them!).

I try and keep my accent as it's part of who I am. But I used to have to make an effort not to use any Somerset words like 'gert' I try not to use any colloquialisms at all though. Being a CELTA qualified teacher it goes against the grain nowadays and I even have to use full words when I text.

But I never hide my accent. In fact I love 'topping it up' when I'm home. I was in Taunton a few weeks ago, bought a motorcycle calendar in Hatchers.

People do assume i know how to drive a tractor though!

our little boy has started saying 'where's that to' meaning where's that..... I'm trying to stop him, but it's funny how he's picking it up from his dad & granny!
I love Taunton as a shopping town now - it's got sooooo many charity shops!
OH went to Huish's, I went to Bishop Fox's....
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

I loved in South Africa for 26 years and love the fact that I can swear at some people and they haven't a clue what I'm saying. I'm sure I'm going to get caught out one day though when someone swears back at me in Afrikaans.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Have been in Aus 11 years and do get the piss taken out of me a bit when I go back to Scotland as I have picked up a v slight nasal twang and upwards intonation, on some words, but after a week or so it wears off.

I never had a broad accent anyway, coming from the Highlands and Islands we are generally a lot clearer spoken than eg Glasgow etc, but most Australians seem to think I am Irish.

This has scored me free drinks on more than one occasion.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

but most Australians seem to think I am Irish.
Most Australians haven't really heard my accent much, it's not Cockney and it's not Scottish, so they (almost to a person) think I'm Irish or American.

Not sure which one offends me most.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

when i married i moved to sheffield (south yorkshire) from dundee (scotland) was asked where i came from in ireland!! by an irish nurse i worked with on my ward!been in australia almost 18 years and still get asked where i come from,most people can pick out the scots.it seems to have,scots,yorkshire and aus in it.we have to record handover from nights to the day shift.some couldnt understand what i was saying,so then had to do a verbal report as well.:curse:apparently it gets worse when i go back for holidays but tapers off after a few months.got told off by family in (highlands) in june for pronouncing gaelic wrong.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
when i married i moved to sheffield (south yorkshire) from dundee (scotland) was asked where i came from in ireland!! by an irish nurse i worked with on my ward!been in australia almost 18 years and still get asked where i come from,most people can pick out the scots.it seems to have,scots,yorkshire and aus in it.we have to record handover from nights to the day shift.some couldnt understand what i was saying,so then had to do a verbal report as well.:curse:apparently it gets worse when i go back for holidays but tapers off after a few months.got told off by family in (highlands) in june for pronouncing gaelic wrong.
Can't remember who but someone else in this thread mentioned coming from the NW & being mistaken for Irish - I'm not at all surprised. While being no expert & reckon I've a fair ear for specific accents & NW Highlands is VERY different from most 'typical' Scottish accents.