Food at weddings

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:58 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food at weddings

Originally Posted by MadRad
I know it's trendy to slag off big weddings these days, but I don't necessarily agree.

I had what most people would consider a big wedding (and it was expensive), but 10 years later, we're still happy. All of my friends and family who had 'big' weddings are all still married too.

Incidentally, I've never heard of black forest gateau being served at a wedding!
OMG you cannot be serious...its a staple dessert on a Evening Wedding buffet up North..
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:02 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Sounds lovely.

Last wedding we went to was for a cousin, and only because we're family that we got the invite...we only went because we knew it was $100 a head and it'd annoy them

Food weren't bad, but not brill and portions were shite and it took forever, it didn't start till around 9, but when the wedding was at 5, but of a mare...especially when there wasn't any AC and it was 100F and swamp weather out....and we had to fend for ourselves to find a slice of wedding cake.

Still, weren't a bad do and at least we didn't have to spend the night there like some folks did

Jayzus, that a lot of $$$ per head..I'd expect all singing all dancing for that price..

what did you get, the rubber chicken or the rubber beef for the meal..
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:06 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
They vary dramatically!! I've been to an outdoor wedding that was ultra casual, with music played on a cd followed by food served in a picnic shelter. I was a bridesmaid in a wedding that began with a traditional Vietnamese wedding in CA, followed by all of us going to Las Vegas where the couple had a western wedding at Bellagio, with everyone in formal dress and Elvis showing up at the reception.

I really liked our wedding, actually. We got married in Sedona, Arizona at Tlaquepaque chapel. http://www.tlaq.com/ The chapel held about 40 people, only our closest friends, family, and two longtime co-workers who flew out to join us.

The men wore Mexican wedding shirts and black slacks and my bridesmaids wore sundresses from Ann Taylor Loft. (Everyone was comfy and not out an arm and a leg as a result.)

The reception was held at my parent's house and really was quite special. Because it was not a huge group we were able to really mingle with everyone. My mother made the food and hired caterers to serve/clean up leaving everyone to enjoy themselves.

We also had a brunch reception in Cincinnati afterwards and that was a disappointment in comparison. If I had to do it over again, I'd skip the second reception, but we were trying to host everyone who hadn't come to Arizona.

Another fun wedding I attended was one of my girlfriends. She grew up in the Polish part of town, and all of the food was Polish as were many of the dances, etc. at the reception. Everyone danced around and had to go before the couple and do a shot of whisky (blech!) to wish them luck in the future. It was a very inexpensive wedding but was one of the best I've attended.

Weirdest/worst wedding memory? Hmmm ... I attended a wedding in which the minister had a dangling band-aid hanging off his chin that wobbled as he married the couple, that was a bit off-putting. I also attended a wedding once in one of those new-age churches with plasma tvs ... maybe you know the type ... the bride was chewing gum during the ceremony and that blew my mind.

I do think people blow so much money and get so worked up about weddings sometimes and it's a let down for them when it's over.
Thanks for this...do you know in the 8 yrs I was in the US, we were never once invited to a wedding or any other function..(that wasn't Rugby related anyway)...so I was always curious how things were done compared to the UK..

now that I've just typed it sounds soo sad doesn't it...but no we're of the age now where everybody got married years ago..we're just waiting for the second marriages now..
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Jayzus, that a lot of $$$ per head..I'd expect all singing all dancing for that price..

Is that really a lot per head? I was wondering because even 23 yrs ago, we paid almost $40 per head for our guests at the evening 'do', surely at today's rate that would be more than $100 per head?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:05 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Is that really a lot per head? I was wondering because even 23 yrs ago, we paid almost $40 per head for our guests at the evening 'do', surely at today's rate that would be more than $100 per head?
I'm only going on my wedding (11 yrs ago) and for the sit down meal it was only £10 per head and this also included a glass of bucks fizz at the beginning...and whisky or Bailey's for after the meal..

The food was excellent and had lots of sides with the main meat (if that makes any sense) and lots of salad and cold pasta or rice sides as well..

or maybe were were just cheap..
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

This is our year of weddings.

First one was great. Nothing fancy, appetizers of meatballs, fried mashed potato balls, satay chicken on sticks and some other stuff. Dinner was a buffet, DIY pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, cheesy potatoes, sliced beef and gravy and salad. Free wine and "domestic" beer. It was a bit weird when I first saw it but it was great.

Next one is Fri/Sat and is an Indian one. I know it's vegetarian but we'll see what they have.

Nov I have one in England with a formal dinner plus a late night fun buffet and a few "traditional" ones along the way. Went to one a couple of years ago where the bar was 2 kegs of miller lite with DIY pump, some boxes of wine and a stack of plastic cups.

I have to say, I like the less formal ones with proper food that doesn't need to be cooked to specific times in order to be good!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I knew someone would take my comments personally. I'm not being "trendy", and I'm not "slagging off" your wedding. Good on you if you had a big wedding and are happy in your marriage.
Not taking it personally at all - just an observation. Whenever you read anything about weddings in the media it seems people criticise big weddings.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

OMG you cannot be serious...its a staple dessert on a Evening Wedding buffet up North..

LOL totally serious - I take it by up north you mean north of England - I'm from further north again and have never seen it at any wedding!

Good thing too as I can't stand the stuff!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:08 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by MadRad
LOL totally serious - I take it by up north you mean north of England - I'm from further north again and have never seen it at any wedding!

Good thing too as I can't stand the stuff!
yup north of England..*cough* the best part of England *cough*

and how can you not stand cake..its food of the gods my friend, food of the gods..
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:10 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
This is our year of weddings.

First one was great. Nothing fancy, appetizers of meatballs, fried mashed potato balls, satay chicken on sticks and some other stuff. Dinner was a buffet, DIY pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, cheesy potatoes, sliced beef and gravy and salad. Free wine and "domestic" beer. It was a bit weird when I first saw it but it was great.

Next one is Fri/Sat and is an Indian one. I know it's vegetarian but we'll see what they have.

Nov I have one in England with a formal dinner plus a late night fun buffet and a few "traditional" ones along the way. Went to one a couple of years ago where the bar was 2 kegs of miller lite with DIY pump, some boxes of wine and a stack of plastic cups.

I have to say, I like the less formal ones with proper food that doesn't need to be cooked to specific times in order to be good!
I agree, the less formal ones definitely have better food and better atmosphere, better than being stuffed in a suit and tie, sandwiched between the two old Aunty's that smell of peppermint, eating rubber chicken..
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Salad starter was a couple of leaves, then I had the steak, which was good, but tiny, some others had theirs practically mooing though. The missus had chicken, but it was tiny and not great
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite a bit per head when the venue costs $10K on top and there's a minimum 100 guests plus the cost of an open bar...
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's quite a bit per head when the venue costs $10K on top and there's a minimum 100 guests plus the cost of an open bar...
Yeah, I can't remember what my room cost, certainly nothing like even 1k pounds, so maybe that is where the food costs differ.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I can't remember what my room cost, certainly nothing like even 1k pounds, so maybe that is where the food costs differ.
I think the per head price is the total cost of the wedding...divided by the number of guests. That's why you often hear 'x' hundred dollars per head...or even 'x' thousand dollars per head.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think the per head price is the total cost of the wedding...divided by the number of guests. That's why you often hear 'x' hundred dollars per head...or even 'x' thousand dollars per head.
Could be, I know in the UK (for ours) everything was charged seperately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.