Food, glorious food!

Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Food, glorious food!

Hubbie and I were discussing what we were looking forward to eating when we get back home (we are both on a diet so food is constantly in our thoughts at the moment) .

Well the list goes

1. A good indian curry
2. A bag of fish and chips with lots of salt and vinigar
3. Our local pizza mmmm...
4. A nice piece of cake (don't like the cakes here) or dougnuts
5. Chocolate that doesn't have a funny taste to it
6. Sausage Rolls

Anyone else want to share others?

Mandy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food, glorious food!

cornish pasty
decent chinese take out
lamb
decent cheddar cheese
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:14 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes...deffinately a great Balti Curry!

Ooooh...and Mr Brains Faggots,
proper chip shop chips, every chip shop here only serves frozen chips
Pork pie
Angel Delight, the butterscotch flavour. (I do get mine shipped over!)
Branston pickle
PROPER bacon
A pint of Caffreys whilst sat by a log fire in the local 16th century pub....I dream of that one!

Don't get me started on washing powder!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

hee hee,great thread

I always craved Sainsbury spicy fruit muffins when I was in Oz. When I got back, I went to Sainsbury on the day I landed back at Manchester to buy some (well I had to get a few bits of shopping anyway so I wasn't just going for the muffins!) AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY!! Agh, I was distraught. When I did finally get some, they were awful...nothing like I remembered. What a let down! 10,000 miles for nothing

Now back in UK, I really miss the great Japanese & Thai restaurants that we had in Melbourne.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
hee hee,great thread

I always craved Sainsbury spicy fruit muffins when I was in Oz. When I got back, I went to Sainsbury on the day I landed back at Manchester to buy some (well I had to get a few bits of shopping anyway so I wasn't just going for the muffins!) AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY!! Agh, I was distraught. When I did finally get some, they were awful...nothing like I remembered. What a let down! 10,000 miles for nothing

Now back in UK, I really miss the great Japanese & Thai restaurants that we had in Melbourne.
When in oz I missed cornish pastie with baked beans and mash! Been here couple of mths and STILL haven't had any! Will make it my mission this week!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:32 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Oh yes...deffinately a great Balti Curry!

Ooooh...and Mr Brains Faggots,
proper chip shop chips, every chip shop here only serves frozen chips
I can sympathise with you Tracy. I love chip shop chips, the chip shops in OZ are awful! What is the deal with using frozen chips? They are so dry and taste of cardboard, a lot of them are fried in lard as well, urgghh!

I when I returned to the Uk, going to my favourite local chippy and having nice greasy, hand cut chips with lashing of salt and vinegar yum!

I also missed

Decent Curry, the Oz version is rubbish

Good selection of veggie food prducts (quorn, Linda McCarney etc)

Monster munch, nik naks, all the different flavours of crisps.

Decent beer and lager (Stella, Grolsch, London Pride, Tanglefoot)

Sure theres more, but having been back in the UK for a while, the memory fades somewhat of the foods that I craved for.

Curry sauce on chips!!

Last edited by eatstatic; Feb 10th 2005 at 10:34 am.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
I can sympathise with you Tracy. I love chip shop chips, the chip shops in OZ are awful! What is the deal with using frozen chips? They are so dry and taste of cardboard, a lot of them are fried in lard as well, urgghh!

I when I returned to the Uk, going to my favourite local chippy and having nice greasy, hand cut chips with lashing of salt and vinegar yum!

I also missed

Decent Curry, the Oz version is rubbish

Good selection of veggie food prducts (quorn, Linda McCarney etc)

Monster munch, nik naks, all the different flavours of crisps.

Decent beer and lager (Stella, Grolsch, London Pride, Tanglefoot)

Sure theres more, but having been back in the UK for a while, the memory fades somewhat of the foods that I craved for.

Curry sauce on chips!!
Curry Sauce!!!!! Oh how I love curry sauce and chips! And whats with having to pay for your sauces? 40c each??? Bloody cheek. I also couldn't find any 'ready sauces' like Homepride Chilli Con Carne. It was all the packet stuff. The house we rented when we first got back was next door to a chippy, must admit we had curry sauce and chips about 3 x a week! terrible hey? After that it was straight onto dettox!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by glittababe
Curry Sauce!!!!! Oh how I love curry sauce and chips! And whats with having to pay for your sauces? 40c each??? Bloody cheek. I also couldn't find any 'ready sauces' like Homepride Chilli Con Carne. It was all the packet stuff. The house we rented when we first got back was next door to a chippy, must admit we had curry sauce and chips about 3 x a week! terrible hey? After that it was straight onto dettox!
Those packet mixes in oz are crap. There is very little choice in the supermarkets over there. I dont "live" on ready made stuff like sauces and frozen meals, but it is nice to have them as an option. I dont eat meat, so there was virually nothing for me in the way of convenience foods in Cloes or Wollies.

Give me England any time of year

Oh give me England any time of year

Everybody raise a cheer, far and near

For the birds and the booze now that Summers (almost) here!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:06 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Just what kind of legless, armless, clueless consumer cannon fodder are their Omnipotencenesses breeding there? Reduced to a quivering alimentary canal?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Just what kind of legless, armless, clueless consumer cannon fodder are their Omnipotencenesses breeding there? Reduced to a quivering alimentary canal?
Following me from forum to forum are we?

You must lead an interesting life.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:36 am
Deb+Chris

Getting back on track (after the stalker had his little tantrum )

Colmans Mint Sauce!!
Pudding Chips Peas and Gravy (on a tray)
HP Sauce
Walkers Crisps
Beef Hula Hoops
Lots of sweets
Pasties!!!
Sausage Rolls
A good variety of baby snacks

Am gonna be huge aren't I? ha ha

Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Munchies is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Food, glorious food!

Originally Posted by scrawni
Hubbie and I were discussing what we were looking forward to eating when we get back home (we are both on a diet so food is constantly in our thoughts at the moment) .

Well the list goes

1. A good indian curry
6. Sausage Rolls

Mandy

Hi, I've spent quite a bit of time checking out this site, reading threads etc. But this is a subject which has moved me to sign up and answer!!

I move back to England after 4 years in Germany (not such a great distance away compared to some on this site, but far enough). I'm looking forward to .....

Heinz Tomato Soup
Penguins
Cadburys chocolate (caramel filled)
Walkers crisp, Worcester sauce flavour
Refreshers
Freshly baked Sainsbury wholemeal bread
...and not having to make Short crust pastry from scratch everytime!!

and yes one more, drinking PIMMs and lemonade with a slice of cucumber and watermelon!!!! Pure heaven!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by scrawni

Well the list goes

1. A good indian curry
6. Sausage Rolls

Mandy
A decent full English, although Oscars in Kitchener is pretty good.
Galaxy chocolate, esecially when the radio this morning said that it's cholestrol free. I'll just get my cholestrol from the fry up.
Corned beef pastie and HP sauce.
A glass of Kiaora orange juice to dilute.
A pint of ice cold fosters at the local
An aldi own brand prawn and pasta salad
A decent sausage buttie.

I could go on but it's making me hungry.

Sold the house last night, closing March 31st so the clock is finally counting down.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:00 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Since we have been back (a whole 2 weeks) we have loved eating

Irn Bru by the Gallon
Pub Lunches
HP Sauce
Ketchup (Watties aint no Heinz)
Scotch Pie
Square Sausage
Tons and tons of Plain Bread
Good Bacon
Chips from the Chippie Mushy Peas and Gravy
Frys Creams - both orange and mint
Wonderful cheese - Cheshire etc

God could go on and on but think you get the drift LOL
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

Oh god, having read this thread i am now so hungry.......sob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.