Food . . . .

Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:46 pm
Merlot

Default Food . . . .

You can see it is Friday as I have lost all focus in my plans to come back.

I am having a fantasy at the moment of eating a huge yorkshire pud with onion gravy and fresh mint sauce .

The second big dream is for chips, pud and gravy with lots of salt and vinegar - any one hungry yet? This meal of course is before I take my seat at Old Trafford and freeze my legs off - yes unfortunate enough to have tickets to a couple of games on my return.

This is then followed by a lager and lime at the pub . . . .

Oh I want to go home . . . . M

Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:09 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

yorkshire pudding - cant wait!

i dont see prawn cocktail over here much either or garlic prawns - and before anyone starts to criticise me - no im not moving back because i cant get these in melbourne...!

not a big chocolate lover but was in a shop the other week that sold uk brands - Toffee Crisp, Tunnocks tea cakes, highland toffee, walnnut whips! it was great!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Bald Badger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food . . . .

Originally posted by Merlot

I am having a fantasy at the moment of eating a huge yorkshire pud with onion gravy and fresh mint sauce .

I found myself in London a couple of weeks ago and had a pint of bitter then ordered a steak and kidney pud and mash. In a pub called the red lion by big Ben? It was so nice (and large) that kept eating even when I was full. As a consequence’s a couple of hours later I was wandering around Heathrow waiting for my flight to NZ wondering if I was gunna throw up in the departure lounge Ha Ha . You will be pleased to hear that I hung on to my dinner and was able to eat the airline food on the way to Dubai. I am now in Auckland and expecting my son to visit from Hamilton, and I have spuds boiling for mash some canned mushy peas, Ponsonby Steak & Kidney Pies, and Bisto and onion gravy. The beer is Victoria Bitter and is not ice cold. I am trying to educate son on pommy culture
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter constantly complains about luck of prawn cocktail flavoured crisps and Time Out chocolates. I know Red Lion, have been there many times. Well, it's not long now, one hopes.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Saturday afternnoon, back from shopping smell of steak and kidney pudding wafts up at me through the cold air, cold air is part of the fantasy too Baby brussel sprouts and real new potatoes. Watch the soccer restults drink stella

Sunday walk in the country side, or the Heath, return to steamin hot cuppa tea, roast in oven biggest yorkshire you have ever seen, eat the lot, gravy and roast beef, more baby sprouts, sorry I love baby sprouts, followed by trifle, with sherry in it. Lie down sleep cause its not too hot, read papers, drink more stella.

Anyone else think I might be a very big girl in 2 years time
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Merlot

The second big dream is for chips, pud and gravy with lots of salt and vinegar - any one hungry yet? This meal of course is before I take my seat at Old Trafford and freeze my legs off - yes unfortunate enough to have tickets to a couple of games on my return.

This is then followed by a lager and lime at the pub . . . .

Merlot,
are you a fellow ManYoo supporter?
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm, you know what I had for tea last Sunday??.....Roast Beef...with Yorkshire Puds....and crispy roast potatos, gravy, sprouts and carrots. Followed by homemade apple crumble and custard. (Thanks mum!)

Merlot, if you had told me you wanted to go to a match I could have saved you the inevitable disappointment of going to Old Toilet and got you a ticket for Liverpool.

Yesterday I walked into my village along the canal path, got followed by a load of ducks (they all clamboured out of the water and started tailing me), stopped in at my local bakery and had a hot mug of tea and a flapjack - just warmed me up nicely (it was a bit chilly at 4 degrees but the sky was cloudless and hubby said the low sunset over the fields was as good as sitting in a bar in St Kilda and watching sunset over the bay..)

Britain is quite fab really!!
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:05 am
Merlot

Default Creative Imaginations!

Have you guys thought of creative writing or working advertising - oh boy, I am so wanting to eat a BIG Mum Dinner but in this heat my diet is water and occasional Tim Tam (even though lactose makes me ill! Too hot to cook).

Well MUFC Supporter - by default, hubby been mad fan since his birth, his uncle was the Chief Steward there for 30 years until retirement 2 years ago. Hubby was taken along to sit on the benches with his Granddad in the good old days when football was a working mans game! I personally go along for the meat and potato pies! He went to his first game in 1975 and the sad man has boxes of programmes!

As far as Liverpool, we went to Anfield in 1999 to buy our friend a Scouse shirt to bring back to Oz and guess what, came back to the hire car and no hub caps! Welcome to Scouseland we thought! At least it wasn't on bricks!

Keep those graphic descriptions of food wafting through!

Cheers
M

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Mmmm, you know what I had for tea last Sunday??.....Roast Beef...with Yorkshire Puds....and crispy roast potatos, gravy, sprouts and carrots. Followed by homemade apple crumble and custard. (Thanks mum!)
Mmmmm. Does your mum do takeaways ?

My last meal in Oz will be seafood or Japanese. And one of my first in UK will be a real Indian meal or a roast.

And then a trip to Tescos for the choice; buy Bramley apples, decent tomatoes, and chicken.

And I look forward to Christmas when you can buy satsumas and clementines - not those horrible pip-laden things you get in Sydney....
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 4:15 am
Merlot

Red face Completely Bored

With egg and chips on my mind for tea!!!!!

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 4:37 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeStanton

My last meal in Oz will be seafood or Japanese. And one of my first in UK will be a real Indian meal or a roast.

And then a trip to Tescos for the choice; buy Bramley apples, decent tomatoes, and chicken.

And I look forward to Christmas when you can buy satsumas and clementines - not those horrible pip-laden things you get in Sydney....
Ohhh yes a lovely pommie Curry and proper fish n chips not the the sad pathetic fish they batter here. It's more batter then fish!! My hubby has said that I am not allowed to have a curry or fish n chips until he gets to UK a week or so after me....yeah like I'm going to adhere to that....NOT !!! I have already planned my great escape to the nearest Indian...mmmhhhhh
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 4:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike have you ever been to Ju Jus in the X? Good atmosphere and good cheap japanese food. I don't remember good tomatoes in Tescos but the chicken here is a bit hormonal. Lucky there are some decent local organic butchers. I don't buy because they are organic but because the quality is much better.

The Real British Indian is something I miss but the Thai food makes up for it and is healthier.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Mike have you ever been to Ju Jus in the X? Good atmosphere and good cheap japanese food. I don't remember good tomatoes in Tescos but the chicken here is a bit hormonal. Lucky there are some decent local organic butchers. I don't buy because they are organic but because the quality is much better.

The Real British Indian is something I miss but the Thai food makes up for it and is healthier.
Thanks for that tip - I'll give Ju Jus a go. Re:tomatoes? It's not specifically Tesco's tomatoes; I just find Oz toms pretty tasteless - but they are improving.

Overall, I do prefer Oz for food; much greater variety, good quality and it's cheaper to eat out.

And, of course, the Thai food is great!!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that tip - I'll give Ju Jus a go. Re:tomatoes? It's not specifically Tesco's tomatoes; I just find Oz toms pretty tasteless - but they are improving.

Overall, I do prefer Oz for food; much greater variety, good quality and it's cheaper to eat out.

And, of course, the Thai food is great!!
It is in the basement of the building with the coke sign on bayswater road.