Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flying visit to Familiarity!

Flying visit to Familiarity!

Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Flying visit to Familiarity!

I thought for quite a while before deciding to post this, and I think it belongs in here rather than in the Aus forum where I usually hang out.

I'm back here in the UK for 3 weeks, from my new "home" in Brisbane. First trip back since I left almost 2 years ago (Hallowe'en 2003), and I approached it with very mixed emotions.
- I was worried the people would have changed a lot (friends/family)
- I was worried that the country would be worse than I remembered - all those stories about crime etc
- I was worried that I just wouldn't like it here.

How wrong can you be!

I landed through Terminal 3 at Heathrow at 6am on a wet windy morning, and felt at home from the moment I got of the plane. One simple reason why - familiarity!

24 hours with my best mate, then off to the family where I am in the middle of a 10 day stint being part of a family again. And not being spoilt particularly, I've just slotted in as "Aunty" exactly where I was before. After Hallowe'en I'm off to Sussex for some serious partying with my best mate and his partner, and a load of old friends.

I've "done" Sainsburys & Asda - the local ones are clean, bright shops, with full shelves, polite but unobtrusive staff ( I am sooo sick of discussing my life when I buy a loaf of bread!), and so much choice! My first Sainsburys was the one at Green Park in Bath - such a beautiful shop I nearly followed the example of another poster by bursting into tears!
I've revelled in the delights of Boots, marvelled at W H Smith, and spent a small fortune in M&S.

I spent today watching my nephew (12) and my eldest niece (10) winning trophies and medals for singing in a local Eisteddfod, and I am so proud of them! Especially when they told their teacher I had come from Australia to watch them

To sum it up, I'm so happy! For 3 short weeks I feel I'm alive again. I feel fitter than I have for two years. I know I have to return to Aus, but at least I know I can look forward to my next trip, knowing that the UK is still everything I loved about it.

If The Bloke reads this post, I can only hope he understands. He's never been an Expat, so he can't know what it feels like, though he does his best. Its not that I don't like Australia - I sometimes feel Australia neither likes nor wants me, however hard I try. For that reason I am trying not to make comparisons at the moment, but to accept the UK as it is. Its not perfect by any means, but its HOME!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying visit to Familiarity!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I thought for quite a while before deciding to post this, and I think it belongs in here rather than in the Aus forum where I usually hang out.

I'm back here in the UK for 3 weeks, from my new "home" in Brisbane. First trip back since I left almost 2 years ago (Hallowe'en 2003), and I approached it with very mixed emotions.
- I was worried the people would have changed a lot (friends/family)
- I was worried that the country would be worse than I remembered - all those stories about crime etc
- I was worried that I just wouldn't like it here.

How wrong can you be!

I landed through Terminal 3 at Heathrow at 6am on a wet windy morning, and felt at home from the moment I got of the plane. One simple reason why - familiarity!

24 hours with my best mate, then off to the family where I am in the middle of a 10 day stint being part of a family again. And not being spoilt particularly, I've just slotted in as "Aunty" exactly where I was before. After Hallowe'en I'm off to Sussex for some serious partying with my best mate and his partner, and a load of old friends.

I've "done" Sainsburys & Asda - the local ones are clean, bright shops, with full shelves, polite but unobtrusive staff ( I am sooo sick of discussing my life when I buy a loaf of bread!), and so much choice! My first Sainsburys was the one at Green Park in Bath - such a beautiful shop I nearly followed the example of another poster by bursting into tears!
I've revelled in the delights of Boots, marvelled at W H Smith, and spent a small fortune in M&S.

I spent today watching my nephew (12) and my eldest niece (10) winning trophies and medals for singing in a local Eisteddfod, and I am so proud of them! Especially when they told their teacher I had come from Australia to watch them

To sum it up, I'm so happy! For 3 short weeks I feel I'm alive again. I feel fitter than I have for two years. I know I have to return to Aus, but at least I know I can look forward to my next trip, knowing that the UK is still everything I loved about it.

If The Bloke reads this post, I can only hope he understands. He's never been an Expat, so he can't know what it feels like, though he does his best. Its not that I don't like Australia - I sometimes feel Australia neither likes nor wants me, however hard I try. For that reason I am trying not to make comparisons at the moment, but to accept the UK as it is. Its not perfect by any means, but its HOME!

I sincerely hope you have a great time.....I remember seeing you post a week or two ago saying you wanted to cancel......glad for you that you didn't.....take care
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

You're bringing tears to my eyes and a huge big smile...I hope you realise how lovely it is for us all to hear how you feel.
Exactly what most of us are hoping for when we get back.

Thanks for taking time out from your smashing hol to
make us smile

Well, that's your good deed done for the day
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Oh polly youve made me all bleary eyed too and serching for the tissues. You sound so happy, but torn, your not alone I bet I will be posting the same thing in a few weeks. Oh boy all this stuff is hard on the old heart strings isnt it, you enjoy it tho every little bit and leave some stuff in the shops for us too
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:13 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyanna - have a super visit, hope it gets better and better.

I understand so much of what you say. Last night I told my 13 yr old daughter she was getting a month back in the UK in January for her Christmas present (on her own) and will be able to spend time with her new cousin (my sister is due to give birth end of November). She burst into tears and cried - she has always said she is fairly happy here but she said the thought of being back with family and the things she knows is just so wonderful. I will add she also said we were the most wonderful parents to give her what she wanted so much - felt a bit guilty as we also saw it as a month off for us from the terrible hormonal teens - guess we need to take into consideration this emigration lark can go a bit deeper with some

Remember to come back on here Polly when you are back if you need a bit of support.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:20 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Reading your message polyan is making me even more look forward to my trip back to blighty at xmas, dont get me wrong i have a great life here in america, but i dont know if i will even consider it home - just somewhere i live !

Anthony
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:29 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Polly

I was wondering when you are back here...and now I know. What a lovely read. Thats it in a nutshell.....familiarity! Thats how I felt....the roads, the shops, the people....it all just felt "right" !

Its sounds like you are having a ball.....lap it up and carry on enjoying. Let me know if you are passing through East Sussex.....remember my job is visiting the lush pubs so I may just spot you....you will be the lady with the huge grin and a good few pints lined up !!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Oh My God.

Thanks for such a fantastic thread..
All the doubts I had have just blown through the window.

I am soo pleased that your holiday is going well. Enjoy the rest of your time
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

So pleased your holiday is going so well for you.

I went back for a holiday April last year and it felt exactly the same, the familiarity, the shops, supermarkets, even driving in traffic jams was lovely (now that is rose tinted glasses). I so enjoyed people being polite in cars, giving way, thanking me, letting me pass ooh, just lovely.

Carry on enjoying your time and say hello to the country from me.
I will see it very soon.
Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:47 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi Pollyanna,

When I'd finished reading your post I went.....ahhhhhh. I felt sorry for you and I'm sure thats the last thing you wanted!!! Sorry

I am glad you are having a wonderful time, I'm sure you'll be sad when you have to return but remember your bloke it there for you and I'm sure he realises how hard it is for you living and adjusting to life in another country. You are after all making a new life in a wonderful country, however hard it may sometimes feel. Emotional rubbish over...have a good time here in the UK

Keep saving for those trips back.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Pollyana for a wonderful positive read. Its funny how the nay sayers can make you believe that in the x time you've been away from the UK that EVERYTHING has changed. You've just blown that theory totally away.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 8:51 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased to hear your having a great time. Hurry back to us though microbrew mansion mkII is rising from the dirt and looking forward to your perusal.

see you soon

Debs
Old Oct 28th 2005, 10:21 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Polyanna

Isn't it wonderful to be home! It just feels all warm and comforting doesn't it?

I hope you have a marvelous time catching up with everyone you really care about. Get your fix of beautiful autumnal England and enjoy those shops!!!

Take care xx
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

For that reason I am trying not to make comparisons at the moment, but to accept the UK as it is. Its not perfect by any means, but its HOME!
If the lady with the broomstick isn't too busy partying, it'd be
lovely if she could thrill us all with more tales of her trip..
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SCOTTISH MARK 2
If the lady with the broomstick isn't too busy partying, it'd be
lovely if she could thrill us all with more tales of her trip..
OK, heres a quickie update!
After 10 days being spoilt by the family, I'm now down in Sussex with my best mate. He collected me in a baby plane - we used to fly together a lot, so it was very special to be in the air with him again. We have shopped till we dropped - Brighton is still recovering from our Tuesday onslaught! The choice of shops - all with different clothes, not lots of shops selling te same stuff. Good quality clothes at an affordable price. Card shops - I have stocked up in Clintons and WHS to keep me going for ages, also bought far too many books in lovely 3 for 2 sales.
We walked down the pier, bought Brighton rock, drove past all my old haunts; The place reallyhasn't changed at all - I keep thinking I wil come across things that are different, but I haven't. Life here is the same as it ever was. I feel like I never left - very odd.
Last night we had dinner with friends in one of my all time favourite pubs, the Royal Oak in Poynings, at the bottom of the Sussex Downs - a place I have dreamed of going back to for the last 2 years. My other wish was fulfilled today - Middle Farm Shop, near Lewes - stunning array of cheeses - my faves are Rutland (garlic,beer,parsley) and Harlech (Horseradish) and an amazing amount of cider from all over the UK. Now have to consume as much as possible before I leave on Sunday!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.