Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flying visit to Familiarity!

Flying visit to Familiarity!

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:56 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flying visit to Familiarity!

Lucky old you Pollyana,
I love the Middle Farm Shop. I hope you don't get too homesick coming back again.
You made my hubby laugh with your tales of Sainsburys and Asda. It's all I go on about at the moment.

Vicky

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, heres a quickie update!
After 10 days being spoilt by the family, I'm now down in Sussex with my best mate. He collected me in a baby plane - we used to fly together a lot, so it was very special to be in the air with him again. We have shopped till we dropped - Brighton is still recovering from our Tuesday onslaught! The choice of shops - all with different clothes, not lots of shops selling te same stuff. Good quality clothes at an affordable price. Card shops - I have stocked up in Clintons and WHS to keep me going for ages, also bought far too many books in lovely 3 for 2 sales.
We walked down the pier, bought Brighton rock, drove past all my old haunts; The place reallyhasn't changed at all - I keep thinking I wil come across things that are different, but I haven't. Life here is the same as it ever was. I feel like I never left - very odd.
Last night we had dinner with friends in one of my all time favourite pubs, the Royal Oak in Poynings, at the bottom of the Sussex Downs - a place I have dreamed of going back to for the last 2 years. My other wish was fulfilled today - Middle Farm Shop, near Lewes - stunning array of cheeses - my faves are Rutland (garlic,beer,parsley) and Harlech (Horseradish) and an amazing amount of cider from all over the UK. Now have to consume as much as possible before I leave on Sunday!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by vicky o
Lucky old you Pollyana,
I love the Middle Farm Shop. I hope you don't get too homesick coming back again.
You made my hubby laugh with your tales of Sainsburys and Asda. It's all I go on about at the moment.

Vicky

When I went back last year for a holiday took my then 11 yr old and even he was impressed with Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury and thats something coming from a lad who hates shopping at the best of times! We couldn't get over the variety of food but especially, for some odd reason, the variety in yoghurts we just oohed and aahhed all the way around the shops! I must have walked around for ages touching everything and acting as though I had never seen food before, I did so enjoy it.

Hubby is over there at moment for work and said he went to a pub with sister, hubbie and family and had huge gammon steak and chips which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Aaah the simple things in life!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:48 am
Account Closed

Ladybird is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pollyanna

God I am so jealous, but so pleased you are enjoying your time back in the uk. I dream of going back and everything you are describing sounds so brilliant . I'm not scheduled for a visit home until early 2007 and it will be my 1st visit back since we arrived 1 year ago, I have stopped myself going back before now in case I really couldn't bring myself to get back on that plane! A too am sure that the minute I step of the plane everything will just feel so right and familiar it will be like i've never been away. (And I never want to go back again)
Oh well, counting the days until I can go for my visit.

Ladybird.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

I thought for quite a while before deciding to post this, and I think it belongs in here rather than in the Aus forum where I usually hang out.

I'm back here in the UK for 3 weeks, from my new "home" in Brisbane. First trip back since I left almost 2 years ago (Hallowe'en 2003), and I approached it with very mixed emotions.
- I was worried the people would have changed a lot (friends/family)
- I was worried that the country would be worse than I remembered - all those stories about crime etc
- I was worried that I just wouldn't like it here.

How wrong can you be!

I landed through Terminal 3 at Heathrow at 6am on a wet windy morning, and felt at home from the moment I got of the plane. One simple reason why - familiarity!

24 hours with my best mate, then off to the family where I am in the middle of a 10 day stint being part of a family again. And not being spoilt particularly, I've just slotted in as "Aunty" exactly where I was before. After Hallowe'en I'm off to Sussex for some serious partying with my best mate and his partner, and a load of old friends.

I've "done" Sainsburys & Asda - the local ones are clean, bright shops, with full shelves, polite but unobtrusive staff ( I am sooo sick of discussing my life when I buy a loaf of bread!), and so much choice! My first Sainsburys was the one at Green Park in Bath - such a beautiful shop I nearly followed the example of another poster by bursting into tears!
I've revelled in the delights of Boots, marvelled at W H Smith, and spent a small fortune in M&S.

I spent today watching my nephew (12) and my eldest niece (10) winning trophies and medals for singing in a local Eisteddfod, and I am so proud of them! Especially when they told their teacher I had come from Australia to watch them

To sum it up, I'm so happy! For 3 short weeks I feel I'm alive again. I feel fitter than I have for two years. I know I have to return to Aus, but at least I know I can look forward to my next trip, knowing that the UK is still everything I loved about it.

If The Bloke reads this post, I can only hope he understands. He's never been an Expat, so he can't know what it feels like, though he does his best. Its not that I don't like Australia - I sometimes feel Australia neither likes nor wants me, however hard I try. For that reason I am trying not to make comparisons at the moment, but to accept the UK as it is. Its not perfect by any means, but its HOME!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday Polyana, its great hearing you are having such a good time and that the familiarity is still there which I am so looking forward to.

This is such a lovely country but there's no place like home!

Keep us uptodate and enjoy
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:01 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

OK, heres a quickie update!
After 10 days being spoilt by the family, I'm now down in Sussex with my best mate. He collected me in a baby plane - we used to fly together a lot, so it was very special to be in the air with him again. We have shopped till we dropped - Brighton is still recovering from our Tuesday onslaught! The choice of shops - all with different clothes, not lots of shops selling te same stuff. Good quality clothes at an affordable price. Card shops - I have stocked up in Clintons and WHS to keep me going for ages, also bought far too many books in lovely 3 for 2 sales.
We walked down the pier, bought Brighton rock, drove past all my old haunts; The place reallyhasn't changed at all - I keep thinking I wil come across things that are different, but I haven't. Life here is the same as it ever was. I feel like I never left - very odd.
Last night we had dinner with friends in one of my all time favourite pubs, the Royal Oak in Poynings, at the bottom of the Sussex Downs - a place I have dreamed of going back to for the last 2 years. My other wish was fulfilled today - Middle Farm Shop, near Lewes - stunning array of cheeses - my faves are Rutland (garlic,beer,parsley) and Harlech (Horseradish) and an amazing amount of cider from all over the UK. Now have to consume as much as possible before I leave on Sunday!!!
Reading your thread Pollyana has made me realise just how much I left behind that was without realising it important to me. Were going back for a month next april and can't wait. I'm not a big clothes shopping fan but its the first thing I'm going to have to do when I'm back. I tried to buy some trousers yesterday and ALL the shops here only had 5 waist sizes and 2 length sizes in a choice of 3 types of jeans! I had to buy the only pair that fitted ish and turn the legs up, I now look like that guy from dexys midnight runners!

Keep posting what the place is like and enjoy yourself. I can't wait now!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Reading your thread Pollyana has made me realise just how much I left behind that was without realising it important to me. Were going back for a month next april and can't wait. I'm not a big clothes shopping fan but its the first thing I'm going to have to do when I'm back. I tried to buy some trousers yesterday and ALL the shops here only had 5 waist sizes and 2 length sizes in a choice of 3 types of jeans! I had to buy the only pair that fitted ish and turn the legs up, I now look like that guy from dexys midnight runners!

Keep posting what the place is like and enjoy yourself. I can't wait now!
I'm laughing at the image.

I put the trousers against me here and they come upto my neck!!! I can't be bothered to adjust the length so they becoming plotting paper for all the puddles.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Your holiday is going very fast. Sounds like you are having a scream.

Hope you haven't got banned from too many pubs
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:20 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Middle Farm Shop, near Lewes - stunning array of cheeses - my faves are Rutland (garlic,beer,parsley) and Harlech (Horseradish) and an amazing amount of cider from all over the UK. Now have to consume as much as possible before I leave on Sunday!!! [/QUOTE]

Hi Polly

Love reading your views of being home.....middle farm.....know it well. Fantastic goodies in there. I am going to look out for that pub you mentioned.Do you feel like your time here has flown by?
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The ime is going MUCh too fast, fly back on Sunday It has been absolutely brilliant though, given me a new lease of life!
And the shopping - its now just the supermarkets, not just the clothes, its the bookshops, its Boots, its the little knick-knack shops, like those in Brighton's North Laines, its Brantano Footwear - I am not a great shoe-shopper, but I bought two pairs of boots in 2 minutes, and could have gt many more - in Aus I just can't find smart boots at a decent price, and I can't find any footwear that really fits. I like sandals with heel straps, not the loose floppy-when-you-walk one s- try buying those in Aus, its hopeless.
Its the whole "choice at a decent price" - maybe one day Aus will catch up.
Off for a very long lunch today in Seaford with some lovely old friends. The lady is in her 70s; when I rang to say we'd be over for lunch she calmly informed me that last Thursday, on a whim, she took off to Canada for the weekend - got back Tuesday! Now THAT is someone with energy and spirit! Hope I'm like that at her age!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:07 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Hope you haven't got banned from too many pubs
Not been banned yet, but I have a night out on Friday with my ex-workmates from the police.......Brighton should take cover now!!!!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

The ime is going MUCh too fast, fly back on Sunday It has been absolutely brilliant though, given me a new lease of life!
And the shopping - its now just the supermarkets, not just the clothes, its the bookshops, its Boots, its the little knick-knack shops, like those in Brighton's North Laines, its Brantano Footwear - I am not a great shoe-shopper, but I bought two pairs of boots in 2 minutes, and could have gt many more - in Aus I just can't find smart boots at a decent price, and I can't find any footwear that really fits. I like sandals with heel straps, not the loose floppy-when-you-walk one s- try buying those in Aus, its hopeless.
Its the whole "choice at a decent price" - maybe one day Aus will catch up.
Off for a very long lunch today in Seaford with some lovely old friends. The lady is in her 70s; when I rang to say we'd be over for lunch she calmly informed me that last Thursday, on a whim, she took off to Canada for the weekend - got back Tuesday! Now THAT is someone with energy and spirit! Hope I'm like that at her age!
How many suit cases are you bringing back
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
Reading your message polyan is making me even more look forward to my trip back to blighty at xmas, dont get me wrong i have a great life here in america, but i dont know if i will even consider it home - just somewhere i live !

Anthony
Just like to echo everything said
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

[QUOTE=Pollyana]OK, heres a quickie update!

so glad I asked...when I went home after 2 years it felt like I'd
just been away on holiday for a few weeks and then come home,
my friends all felt the same......wonder how it'll feel this time 3 years on.

I remember the books in Asda were unbelievably cheap too, just in
case you missed that

Happy days
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:21 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pollyana,
your post had me all tearful too, you make me want to book a trip back to the UK even more now. I'm going to start saving, I feel starved of variety over here and have already planned which shops me and my best mate are going to first. I'm going to start it off with a full monty fried breakfast at Asda
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:03 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
How many suit cases are you bringing back
2 large holdalls, plus as many bags as I can sneak through as hand luggage! My best mate is seeing me off, and is under orders to post anything I can't carry!!!
Books in Asda have been perused - I daren't look at any more as I can't carry anything else! I think we managed to go everywhere we planned to go; amazing 6 hour lunch today, so I have been well spoilt

Also stood on Seaford seafront in a howling gale, getting soaked by the spray from a grey sea, and it was STUNNING!!!! Beat the Gold Coast beaches hollow!

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 3rd 2005 at 11:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.