Flying an old dog to UK

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:46 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying an old dog to UK

Originally Posted by britwhore
I've been in LA for 9 years (14 years total in the US) it just never felt like home. I miss family My husband (also a Brit) and I have been talking about starting a family and I just can't see us raising a child in Hollywood. This place is mental!!!!

Just gotta sell this house
We have the option to perhaps move to the 1000 Oaks area but I worry about the effect that being so close to La La land will have on my Tween girls....................
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be flying back with 4 dogs next year. The youngest is about 8 the oldest about 13 (although he's only 4.5 lbs and acts like a puppy!!!) I totally understand your fears However if the vet gives them the all clear I'll feel better! I'm probably going to use a pet relocation service, it will be quite a bit more but that paperwork is sooooo bloody confusing!!! It will be worth it to know I have someone checking to see that I've crossed all my T's and dotted the I's

If I were back on the East coast I wouldn't be so worried caused the flight is so much shorter or I'd try the QM2.

Good luck
No more confusing paperwork. As of Jan 1 2012 the only thing required is rabies shots up to date.

Check out Defra:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
No more confusing paperwork. As of Jan 1 2012 the only thing required is rabies shots up to date.

Check out Defra:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/
True, it will be easier but the paperwork is still pretty complex.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
We have the option to perhaps move to the 1000 Oaks area but I worry about the effect that being so close to La La land will have on my Tween girls....................
Thousand oaks is a nice area. Bloody hot though!!!! I personally wouldn't want to raise girls here but that's just me. You may have a blast here. The weather IS perfect pretty much every day of the year. Most people think I'm mad for leaving! I really do miss seasons though.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Lots of people have taken dogs back to the UK from North America...several on the QM2. Do a quick search for Scout's posts...she took her dog back to the UK on the QM.
I did not bring my dog Scout over on the QM2. I flew her over on British Air. I looked into the QM2 but didn't go that route.

I stressed for over a year to bring that sweet baby over to the UK. She was older, blind and diabetic. She came through like a trooper. British Air from Atlanta to Gatwick were great. Thankfully it looks like DEFRA have simplified their regs since we came back. Flying my dog Scout was by far the most stressful part of our move.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
I did not bring my dog Scout over on the QM2. I flew her over on British Air. I looked into the QM2 but didn't go that route.

I stressed for over a year to bring that sweet baby over to the UK. She was older, blind and diabetic. She came through like a trooper. British Air from Atlanta to Gatwick were great. Thankfully it looks like DEFRA have simplified their regs since we came back. Flying my dog Scout was by far the most stressful part of our move.
Thanks for clearing that up. Good to know you have experience of flying your elderly dog back to the UK as it looks like that's the way Doll's dog will have to go.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

We've shipped dogs in and out of a few places.

I can't say we have shipped an "elderly" dog, but I would simply say, once you get there, and once your dog gets there, however elderly, you will both be very much happier.

Delta did a very good job for us from Atlanta a few years back, but all the airlines and handlers have been very good in our experience.

Flying into Schipol was probably the easiest and we could pick up our dog from the usual passenger terminal with very little delay.

Good luck.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:04 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
We've shipped dogs in and out of a few places.

I can't say we have shipped an "elderly" dog, but I would simply say, once you get there, and once your dog gets there, however elderly, you will both be very much happier.

Delta did a very good job for us from Atlanta a few years back, but all the airlines and handlers have been very good in our experience.

Flying into Schipol was probably the easiest and we could pick up our dog from the usual passenger terminal with very little delay.

Good luck.
Thank you. JG yeah, it's looking more and more that if we decide to head home then she will have to fly cargo that will indeed be the biggest stress in my life as for the whole flight I will keep thinking of her, all alone and scared of all the noises etc. She is my baby.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. JG yeah, it's looking more and more that if we decide to head home then she will have to fly cargo that will indeed be the biggest stress in my life as for the whole flight I will keep thinking of her, all alone and scared of all the noises etc. She is my baby.
I feel for you Doll. We have 2 small dogs and I couldn't put them in the hold. My back up plan would be use an airline that allows small dogs onboard...fly into Paris and then drive to the UK via the Chunnel.

Although by all accounts the whole thing is far more traumatic for the owners than for the pets. The majority of people on here have said their pets have been fine and very happy to see them at the other end.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I feel for you Doll. We have 2 small dogs and I couldn't put them in the hold. My back up plan would be use an airline that allows small dogs onboard...fly into Paris and then drive to the UK via the Chunnel.

Although by all accounts the whole thing is far more traumatic for the owners than for the pets. The majority of people on here have said their pets have been fine and very happy to see them at the other end.
I wish she was smaller so she could go in the cabin - but then again from what I can gather can't brings dogs in the cabin if the flights are transatlantic.

Will you go back to UK JG?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I wish she was smaller so she could go in the cabin - but then again from what I can gather can't brings dogs in the cabin if the flights are transatlantic.

Will you go back to UK JG?
You fly into the UK with pets in the cabin...they must travel in the hold of the plane but you can fly them into some Euro countries. From there you can travel by road/chunnel into the UK.

I don't know Doll...that's what we are trying to figure out. Our daughter is in Toronto...although we like it there....we can't see ourselves living there forever. England will always be our home...the only place where we will ever feel comfortable. If she was to return to the UK...we'd be off like a shot...but that's not going to happen now...she's marrying a Torontonian next spring.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

True, it will be easier but the paperwork is still pretty complex.
You're right! I could hardly see any difference. Unfotunately I already had all my dog's paperwork done when I was planning on going back this year but now I've delayed I will have to start all over again. Oh well, at least he's microchipped already.

I am really not sure what to do when I get to the other end. Any other singles out there who don't fancy the idea if renting a car and driving on the other side of the road after a long transatlantic flight? Are dogs permitted on public transportation? I can't seem to work out this next step.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Ban Im with ya I do not want to do the drive once we arrive in England. My husband will be with me but he will not drive in the UK. So I would need to do the drive to Scotland with my hubby and the dog I can't imagine I would be so tired. Unless I can find another option which I am looking for.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mandianna
Ban Im with ya I do not want to do the drive once we arrive in England. My husband will be with me but he will not drive in the UK. So I would need to do the drive to Scotland with my hubby and the dog I can't imagine I would be so tired. Unless I can find another option which I am looking for.
It is a bit of a dilemma... and it doesn't stop there. I seriously doubt that the friends & family who have offered a temporary place to stay would extend that to me + dog. And then there is the dilemma of the actual rental seek with dog in tow, let alone finding a place that will take dogs.

Don't get me wrong... I really love my dog and am not thinking about leaving him here but I think it is going to be quite difficult.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mandianna
I was wondering, could you guys not find a hotel that take pets and spend your first night there so you will be fresh to take the long drive the following day. I know my friend takes her two dogs from the North East of England to London on the train a lot so I'm guessing that you can travel with dogs on the train.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.