Flying an old dog to UK

Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying an old dog to UK

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
I think she was hoping to find a window so she could stick her head out as the plane came in to land!
There were probably a lot of jealous dogs in that hold!

That's great DR. Hectie and I would quite fancy having a couple of drinkies in First. Isn't Britain Great. (He thinks he's a person. Goes to all my gardening jobs with me.)

How about the tube? Buses?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
There were probably a lot of jealous dogs in that hold!

That's great DR. Hectie and I would quite fancy having a couple of drinkies in First. Isn't Britain Great. (He thinks he's a person. Goes to all my gardening jobs with me.)

How about the tube? Buses?
Yes, dogs are allowed on buses - not sure about the tube (London), but can take dogs on local trains and the Metro (underground) in Glasgow.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:30 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

My golden retriever, Merlin, was 11 when he flew from the UK to Canada. He had no problems at all, and was so happy when he saw the snow. A few years later, my other golden, Magic, flew back to the UK, also age 11, again with no problems. So I think golden retrievers, being generally relaxed dogs, are good fliers. Getting the dog used to spending time in their crate helps too.
Thanks for your post! my retriever is relaxed, however, she gets a bit nervous with new situations and loud noises - hates fireworks, thunder etc. Did your dog fly in cargo with Air Canada?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Thanks for your post! my retriever is relaxed, however, she gets a bit nervous with new situations and loud noises - hates fireworks, thunder etc. Did your dog fly in cargo with Air Canada?
Suzy was scared witless by fireworks, thunder, explosions on the telly, etc. (that was before she went stone deaf). She travelled cargo every time and came out undaunted.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:25 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Flying an old dog to UK

Originally Posted by dunroving
Suzy always travels on the train with me. No restrictions on where we have to sit, though if it's inconvenient for whoever is booked in the seat next to me, I occasionally move. I spent one journey standing close to the door because the person sitting next to me had allergies and the train was full.

Lately, I've been booking very early and getting a first class rail ticket - if you book early enough in advance, it doesn't cost much extra, meals are free, newspapers are free, internet is free, drinks are free, seats are bigger, wider gangways, emptier carriage ... need I say more?
Do you have to pay to take Suzy on the train? I imagine that guide dogs travel for free, but do passengers without disabilities need to pay a fare for their dog?

In Switzerland dogs have to have a ticket! (One can get a 'dog-day' ticket which is half the price of a 2nd class ticket, or a season ticket for regular trips). I was on a train there recently and someone had their beautiful white Pyrenean Mountain dog in the carriage and she wandered up and down greeting everyone

http://www.sbb.ch/abos-billette/bill...eiz/hunde.html (not sure if this will come out in German or not, my laptop automatically converts into English and there is the 'en' for English on the SBB home page)

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 27th 2011 at 9:25 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Magic was scared of fireworks and thunder too. During thunder storms, he would sometimes sit on my lap, which looked slightly daft as he was a big 38 kg dog. Another time, I found him sitting in the bathtub, for protection, during a thunder storm. He had no problems with flying.

I can't be certain which airline he flew, but it was very probably Air Canada, In the cargo hold.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Magic was scared of fireworks and thunder too. During thunder storms, he would sometimes sit on my lap, which looked slightly daft as he was a big 38 kg dog. Another time, I found him sitting in the bathtub, for protection, during a thunder storm. He had no problems with flying.

I can't be certain which airline he flew, but it was very probably Air Canada, In the cargo hold.
Dogs generally feel safe in a crate...and the movement of the plane will probably make them sleepy throughout the journey.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I can just picture Magic in your lap. (My Hectie is 37kg).

Dogs are denning animals so they will probably be fine.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone flown their dog back to UK or vice versa in the dreaded cargo hold of an airplane? Can you please share your experience with me? I have an 11 year old golden who enjoys her comforts in life and i'm scared to fly her. I looked in to the Queen Mary 2 but they only carry 12 pets, 6 large 6 small and fully booked for 2012 already!

I totally understand where you are coming from. We flew from Toronto to Manchester with Air Transat a week ago. With 2 cats and 2 dogs, my oldest dog is 10.5 chocolate Lab. She also loves her home comforts, I am not going to lie to you here, it was tough on her. Though after about 3 days she was back to her old shelf. She was out this morning running in the fields in the Yorkshire country side and rolling in the grass. She is back to her old shelf. My other dog who is 5 and a BC mixed breed, was ready to go as soon as she got off the plane.
I would suggest doing as much as you can to get your dog comfortable with the crate and make sure you have a soft bed in it for your dog.
Good luck and your dog will be fine
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:04 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guinness
I totally understand where you are coming from. We flew from Toronto to Manchester with Air Transat a week ago. With 2 cats and 2 dogs, my oldest dog is 10.5 chocolate Lab. She also loves her home comforts, I am not going to lie to you here, it was tough on her. Though after about 3 days she was back to her old shelf. She was out this morning running in the fields in the Yorkshire country side and rolling in the grass. She is back to her old shelf. My other dog who is 5 and a BC mixed breed, was ready to go as soon as she got off the plane.
Guinness, how were the cats? Mine rarely leave the house, so I'm worried about this trauma of all this.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Guinness, how were the cats? Mine rarely leave the house, so I'm worried about this trauma of all this.
our older cat had a terrible time with the flight, she is doing much better as of yesterday and she is now going outside. The younger cat, we can't keep her in the house she loves being outside. We are lucky though as we have a huge garden
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:06 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Do you have to pay to take Suzy on the train? I imagine that guide dogs travel for free, but do passengers without disabilities need to pay a fare for their dog?

In Switzerland dogs have to have a ticket! (One can get a 'dog-day' ticket which is half the price of a 2nd class ticket, or a season ticket for regular trips). I was on a train there recently and someone had their beautiful white Pyrenean Mountain dog in the carriage and she wandered up and down greeting everyone

http://www.sbb.ch/abos-billette/bill...eiz/hunde.html (not sure if this will come out in German or not, my laptop automatically converts into English and there is the 'en' for English on the SBB home page)
Nope, she travels for free on trains and buses. No special booking or anything. When I go to Glasgow Central to catch the train south, there are usually a few other people with dogs on leads in the station. Travelling with dogs is pretty normal/acceptable in the UK.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:19 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guinness
our older cat had a terrible time with the flight, she is doing much better as of yesterday and she is now going outside.
Oh no! I am not going to tell my husband this. I know both our cats will be really upset.

How did you know she had a terrible time? Was it just the way she behaved when you got her back?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no! I am not going to tell my husband this. I know both our cats will be really upset.

How did you know she had a terrible time? Was it just the way she behaved when you got her back?
I know it's easy for me to say...but it does seem that even pets that didn't travel too well soon settle down after a few days. I'm sure you have no need to worry...just as long as the vet gives them the OK to travel by air.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

she has some health issues, Kidney problems and she would not come out of her crate when we saw here. When we got to the new house she would not leave my side. She did this for 4 days. She also drank a ton of water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.