Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

flying dog Canada to England

flying dog Canada to England

Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:33 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default flying dog Canada to England

Hi all,

Just called Air Canada and was quoted $270.00 to fly my dog from NS to LHR if we check him in with baggage!

We are cruising back on QM2 next year and taking him with us as I thought it would be cheaper than putting him on a plane (and I hate flying), but that is cheap as chips!

Is this right?
I keep reading on here that flying a dog costs hundreds of $$$$.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:20 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: flying dog Canada to England

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi all,

Just called Air Canada and was quoted $270.00 to fly my dog from NS to LHR if we check him in with baggage!

We are cruising back on QM2 next year and taking him with us as I thought it would be cheaper than putting him on a plane (and I hate flying), but that is cheap as chips!

Is this right?
I keep reading on here that flying a dog costs hundreds of $$$$.
It was almost $1500 in total for us so not sure what that's about. Double, triple check. Is he the size of a small squirrel?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:33 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
It was almost $1500 in total for us so not sure what that's about. Double, triple check. Is he the size of a small squirrel?
he's a lab so pretty big!

I know I was really surprised!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

In order to avoid quarantine, your puppy will have to go cargo on an approved route.

Check the DEFRA regulations.

It is costing me $4500 to ship my three dogs from Thunder Bay to Heathrow via Air Canada using a pet travel company. The company have been brilliant.

Worldwide Animal Travel

You can ship yourself however and I am sure it will work out cheaper.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if that's just what Air Canada charge, and it doesn't include all of the paperwork and other fees?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:51 pm
The Brit is back

Yes it probably is just the Air Canada charge then as I can't believe it would cost such a small amount!

Not to worry, we are all now booked on the QM2
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

The $4500 covers the customs charges as well as the Air Canada charges.

Bear in mind that my pets are having two flights and have to overnight in Toronto at kennels and the cost includes this.

WAT are sorting out the Customs form and are sending a copy to James Cargo. I have to get the vets documents sorted out to go with the animals but WAT have provided copies complete with a guide for the vet to virtually just copy out with all the information, apart from the tapeworm.

They checked the microship and rabies paperwork that I have and found a couple of errors which I was able to get corrected.

Their fees include getting the paperwork signed by a licensed Government vet too.

WAT have been excellent in responding to emails and I am very pleased with their service.
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:35 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We paid around 120 GBP to fly our cat from Aberdeen (via LHR) to Halifax with Air Canada back in 2007 so your price sounds about right.

If you use a 3rd party to fly your pet then fees soar! Some airlines will only use 3rd party companies so you have no choice but with AC you have options that cost much less.

A few days ago I flew from Miami to Halifax with AC (pets allowed in cabin). One passenger had her dog in the cabin in a pet carrier. She fussed over the dog so much, wouldn't sit down and kept demanding to sit in the flight attendant's take-off seats that she was told that if she moved from her seat as our plane taxied to the runway she would be physically restrained . The lady was in her 70s! She also had a pink be-dazzled pushchair for the dog but that's another story

PS I think the customs charge was only about $30. Involving a 3rd party costs a huge amount going by the quotes I have seen here on BE.

Last edited by Cookie; May 2nd 2012 at 2:05 am.
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:29 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Cookie
We paid around 120 GBP to fly our cat from Aberdeen (via LHR) to Halifax with Air Canada back in 2007 so your price sounds about right.

If you use a 3rd party to fly your pet then fees soar! Some airlines will only use 3rd party companies so you have no choice but with AC you have options that cost much less.

A few days ago I flew from Miami to Halifax with AC (pets allowed in cabin). One passenger had her dog in the cabin in a pet carrier. She fussed over the dog so much, wouldn't sit down and kept demanding to sit in the flight attendant's take-off seats that she was told that if she moved from her seat as our plane taxied to the runway she would be physically restrained . The lady was in her 70s! She also had a pink be-dazzled pushchair for the dog but that's another story

PS I think the customs charge was only about $30. Involving a 3rd party costs a huge amount going by the quotes I have seen here on BE.
Don't tell my husband this as I have now booked us and the dog on the QM2 telling him it was a lot cheaper!
Old May 12th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

juni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
How much did it come to?
I'm looking to fly my cat from Montreal, Canada to Heathrow. Has anyone does this since the Defra change in 2012? I've gotten so many different answers, and would love some feedback from people who have flown their pets in cargo recently!
this is all a bit stressful, thanks in advance for your answers!
Old May 12th 2012, 7:54 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by juni
Hi,
How much did it come to?
I'm looking to fly my cat from Montreal, Canada to Heathrow. Has anyone does this since the Defra change in 2012? I've gotten so many different answers, and would love some feedback from people who have flown their pets in cargo recently!
this is all a bit stressful, thanks in advance for your answers!
Like you we have had a lot of different advice with regards to flying our cat back to the UK from Toronto. The Air Transat cargo web page states you can book direct with them for $250 (I think). However we have had confirmation this week that you have to go through a pet agency if flying into the UK. We've been told if we were flying to Europe then we could book direct and avoid the ever increasing charges for pet agencies. We have had two quotes one for 667.50 ukpounds and 785.00 uk pounds. The cheaper one is from the company who dealt with our cat flying out to Toronto. So we are going with who we know.
Hope this helps. Oh, if you haven't got a pet passport then you have to get a 3rd country certificate from your vet in Canada and then have that certified by the Canadian Government office for something or other.... (again can't remember, need to check our paperwork). Our kitty is hopefully flying back home with my hubby next month. Forgot to add of course you need the microchip done before the rabies jab!
Old May 12th 2012, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gilly, thanks for your answer.

I'm flying in June and am still waiting to hear back from several airlines, so far no one can give me a straight answer.
As far as I can tell your pet doesn't need to be booked in by an agency but that means there might be an import charge upon arrival. One post I read stated it might be as much as 300$ of additional fees. Also my worry is that the $250 you mentioned doesn't include the usual taxes which would potentially double the ticket...so much for easy
We were told by our vet that certified documents would be enough and that pets can only come in on direct flights that don't stop in other countries. She's been microchipped, boosted and vaccinated up the wazoo and I've been assured that she just needs her certificates certified by the gov and that should be enough.

Last edited by juni; May 12th 2012 at 8:11 pm.
Old May 12th 2012, 8:19 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by juni
Hi Gilly, thanks for your answer.

I'm flying in June and am still waiting to hear back from several airlines, so far no one can give me a straight answer.
As far as I can tell your pet doesn't need to be booked in by an agency but that means there might be an import charge upon arrival. One post I read stated it might be as much as 300$ of additional fees. Also my worry is that the $250 you mentioned doesn't include the usual taxes which would potentially double the ticket...so much for easy
We were told by our vet that certified documents would be enough and that pets can only come in on direct flights that don't stop in other countries. She's been microchipped, boosted and vaccinated up the wazoo and I've been assured that she just needs her certificates certified by the gov and that should be enough.
Now I don't know where we stand! We had been told by Air Transat Cargo that the UK stipulates Pet Agency whilst Europe not. I did post on BE last week whether anyone had flown back with their cat since the New Year but no replies. The price we were quoted from the two pet agencies included everything apart from the 3rd country cert. Can you let me know if you find out anything more concrete on this? Its doing my head in!
Old May 12th 2012, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Now I don't know where we stand! We had been told by Air Transat Cargo that the UK stipulates Pet Agency whilst Europe not. I did post on BE last week whether anyone had flown back with their cat since the New Year but no replies. The price we were quoted from the two pet agencies included everything apart from the 3rd country cert. Can you let me know if you find out anything more concrete on this? Its doing my head in!
I am returning from Calgary to Gatwick with Air Transit on the 29th Aug 2012.

I am using an agency called Lady Haye in the UK and I have been quoted £895 for 4 1/2 pound dog.
Old May 12th 2012, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gillyd65

I hear that! Hopefully some answers will come on Monday, I've left voicemails with all the major airlines IN the UK as well as Defra. Hopefully something will come of it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.