Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flying back through Toronto Pearson

Flying back through Toronto Pearson

Old May 24th 2020, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying back through Toronto Pearson

My wife and I flew back to UK on Thursday night.
Advice for anyone about to fly through this airport.
Currency exchange, duty free, burger place, and one place serving some limited food and alcohol, and a magazine snack shop is pretty much all that is open. Even TH is closed.

If you can make sure you eat before getting to the airport.

If flying air Canada, make sure you take liquid on. We flew business class, and still only got bottled water. Food was a cold boxed meal. They give you hand sanitizer, water and gloves when you are seated. (Not sure what economy get).

Hope this is helpful for anyone about to fly.
Old May 24th 2020, 4:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying back through Toronto Pearson

Good information, thanks.

I can see why they want to drastically simplify the catering on the flight. But, beverages, would it kill them to offer a choice of red wine, white wine, beer, one type of soda, juice... I mean I think their normal choice is way, way too much, but some people need a glass of wine. (I mean, would like a glass of wine.)

How full was your flight?
Old May 24th 2020, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada announced some time ago that that is what they were going to do. It was in the printed media, on some TV, and online. I got an email about it. So should have been no surprise, your travel agent should have told you, or you should have been informed when you booked if you did it yourself.

I believe it is to do with reducing contact between crew and passengers.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Flight was fine, shorter than normal, as they can take a more direct route with reduced air traffic.

@Scilly The post was for information for people about to fly through Pearson, not me being shocked. Pearson website is not fully clear what is open. Hence the post.
Old May 25th 2020, 8:54 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it’s good that at least a minimum of shops and food service is open at Pearson. Glad you had a decent flight.

Last edited by robin1234; May 25th 2020 at 9:03 am.
Old May 26th 2020, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blokeandbird
My wife and I flew back to UK on Thursday night.
Advice for anyone about to fly through this airport.
Currency exchange, duty free, burger place, and one place serving some limited food and alcohol, and a magazine snack shop is pretty much all that is open. Even TH is closed.

If you can make sure you eat before getting to the airport.

If flying air Canada, make sure you take liquid on. We flew business class, and still only got bottled water. Food was a cold boxed meal. They give you hand sanitizer, water and gloves when you are seated. (Not sure what economy get).

Hope this is helpful for anyone about to fly.
I would have been ever so slightly pissed off with that level of 'service' in business class. There would have been no additional risk to crew or passengers by allowing passengers to request a small bottle of wine or a can of beer with their meal.
Old May 26th 2020, 12:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I would have been ever so slightly pissed off with that level of 'service' in business class. There would have been no additional risk to crew or passengers by allowing passengers to request a small bottle of wine or a can of beer with their meal.
Ever so slightly? I would have been bleeding furious.
Old May 26th 2020, 12:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ever so slightly? I would have been bleeding furious.

I was going for the understated approach, as befits an exalted passenger in business class