Flying back in December

Old Oct 25th 2002, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Christian S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying back in December

Hi my family and I are leaving Western Australia and flying back to Cornwall Uk in December, We have given Australia over 3 years and all dislike it here very much, our bubble was burst shortly after arriving and we are looking forward to getting home, bit fed up about the $, for every $1000 we will only get approx 340 pound, sad aye?

I have 4 Children 2 of which are teenagers and they all discribe this place as 'dull and boring', infact i have to agree with them, lol

I'm sure for many Australia will be just what they dreamed but for us it has been a nightmare.

It took us guts to pick up sticks and emigrate out here not knowing a soul and I feel just as scared returning, this is not easy for anyone never mind which way they are going.

Glad we have our own forum, the folks on the 'Australia' forum do hate you if you don't agree with them only wanting to hear success stories.

Anyway looking forward to hearing from others who are returning, and if anyone need any info on the new PETS passport i will be only to glad to help.

Christian

Old Oct 25th 2002, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Just out of curiousity, which part of Oz are you moving from?
Michael and I are having big doubts about the whole migration thing. Same as you, we have 4 kids. 2 of which are also teenagers.
The oldest, Amy (14), is adamant that she doesn't want to go.
My 11 year old son is 'not bothered' what we do!!

Regards, Shona
Old Oct 25th 2002, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Good idea from the site.

We are in Brisbane and our teenagers the same, cant wait to get out. They will be gone before us, due to Business Commitments. It is the most isolated and backward place I could even imagine. Looking forward to another eight month swelter pot of hellish humidity and heat day and night may be the last straw, some days I look at one way flights and wonder how much longer I will stand it business or not. Good luck to all going back, get out ASAP not like me, I knew it was not for me but just kept hoping it would get better.
Old Oct 25th 2002, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flying back in December

Originally posted by Christian S
Hi my family and I are leaving Western Australia and flying back to Cornwall Uk in December, We have given Australia over 3 years and all dislike it here very much, our bubble was burst shortly after arriving and we are looking forward to getting home, bit fed up about the $, for every $1000 we will only get approx 340 pound, sad aye?

I have 4 Children 2 of which are teenagers and they all discribe this place as 'dull and boring', infact i have to agree with them, lol

I'm sure for many Australia will be just what they dreamed but for us it has been a nightmare.

It took us guts to pick up sticks and emigrate out here not knowing a soul and I feel just as scared returning, this is not easy for anyone never mind which way they are going.

Glad we have our own forum, the folks on the 'Australia' forum do hate you if you don't agree with them only wanting to hear success stories.

Anyway looking forward to hearing from others who are returning, and if anyone need any info on the new PETS passport i will be only to glad to help.

Christian

Hi Christian,

I am also looking to get out of Oz. (Unfortunately my husband actually likes it here, so I may have a bit of trouble persuading him). However, what do you do about buying a home in the UK? Where will you go? Have you some temporary accommodation in the UK? What will you do for work? Personally, having sold up a business in the UK and come over here to start one up, the thought of having to do it all again, with all the paperwork involved etc. is sending me towards the nearest mental hospital at breakneck speed!!!

Any tips on the return scenario would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Oct 26th 2002, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flying back in December

Sad to hear that it hasnt worked for you. we are about to embark on the process of applying for our visas to move from the uk to australia and as we have two cats would really appreciate any information you could give us.
Hope the move back to the uk goes well
susan and rod
Old Oct 27th 2002, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Gosh so many questions, lol

We are in Perth, south of the river, our children are twin boys 15 and boy 12 and boy 10, they all looked forward as we did to arriving but soon found how backward it is here, my children made friends easily but as strange as it sounds 90% of their friends are also poms, we do seem to stick together,we do feel slightly disconected from the aussie's as they don't seem to be on the same wavelength..if that makes any sence.

When we return in Dec we are going to stay with family for a while, my parents have a farm so there is plenty of room, we are going to settle in Cornwall/Devon as that is where I was born and it's a great place for bringing up Children, as for work, I will find one, i always have, my wife is a midwife and she wants to work as soon as possible too, bottom line is we are all very unhappy so it matters not that we won't have a big house, swimming pool and nice weather, but we will replace that with family and happiness, after doing what we have done you come to realize the important things in life and we won't find that in material wealth which is all we have here.
We will buy again in the UK and I don't care how small, just that we are all together and happy.

To Sunny Samantha, I am at work right now but i will post up some Info on Pets Passport within the next few days.

Christian

Ps I would never tell anyone not to come over to Australia and would hate my posts to put you off, just remember for every unhappy pom there will always be a happy one too, it's not for everyone but it could be for you.
Old Oct 27th 2002, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Hi again Sunny Sam,
As promised some info for you (and you didn't have to wait to long, lol)
Check out these sites and let me know how you get on, we are taking our pet FROM Australia where as you are bringing yours IN so i can't help you on cost as it will no doubt be different, but I can tell you that your cats will have to have an international microchip, rabies shots and blood tests, this all has to be done 6 months prior to you leaving the UK so get it started now.

There are websites with all the information you need regards to the PETS scheme, it is http://www.ezio.freeserve.co.uk/petspassport.htm
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

If I can help further please don't be afraid to ask

Christian
Old Oct 31st 2002, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

For some reason I happened to wander onto this site.
I know it is a long time ago that I lived in Oz (25 years) but I'm surprised to see so many people wanting to "go back to the UK"
I can only describe my time there which was only in and around Sydney, but I thought it was fantasic (but then again I was a single chap of 27) and girls were really impressed by someone who opened a car door for them !!!
My question is, and perhaps I am being nosey, are you just homesick ?
It takes a lot to emigrate, but most people don't do it for the right reasons and under the right circumstances. They just assume that the grass is greener.
I've just got married and have moved to the USA and at the moment I feel that it is a great big shithole, however I made my decision and know that things will get better.
To move back to the UK is retrogresive, and for what reason, maybe you miss the football, the workingmans club, Corrie !! or just that distance from family and freinds.
I'm not convinced they are the right reasons for giving p such an opportunity to "better ones standard of living"

I rest my case
Old Oct 31st 2002, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Roger,
Why do you presume that we have a better standard of living out here? Once upon a time I believe life was pretty sweet for us poms but not anymore, we all had a much better lifestyle in the UK as hard on your ears as that must sound.
Thanks for your post but I must say that Australia has changed a lot in 25 years.
I too rest my case

Christian
Old Oct 31st 2002, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Standard of living

I think some people on these forums tend to confuse "standard of living" with "lifestyle"... Yes, we have a DIFFERENT lifestyle in Oz, I do feel it is a much better one in terms of getting out, seeing places, etc. etc. but our "standard of living" is no better - yes we have a huge house, loads of land, lovely pool, etc. but "standard of living" is not so good. We knew when we moved from the UK (earning a very good living owning our own business) that we would be taking a drop in earnings, but we hoped that the new "lifestyle" would be adequate compensation for this. To some extent it is, but I am still new to Oz (only 6 months so far) and the biggest problem I have found is adjusting to the lack of community which the UK is STILL famous for.

Please don't come if you think you'll have a better STANDARD OF LIVING. Do come if you are after a change of LIFESTYLE - that's my 5 cents worth...
Old Nov 1st 2002, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

sequoyah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MIxed Feelings

I have been following this post for a while now and have been interested to see the various comments regarding australia v england. I was born in the uk, spent my early life in asia (father in the army) and migrated to australia in 1982, settling in Perth. Even back then we cited the same reasons for moving as quoted on here and i am the first to admit that it took at me about 2 years to settle down and get used to the lifestyle.

I left Perth in July of this year and i am now a resident of the US (married an American) but i truly believe that every country in the world has something to offer IF you go there in the right frame of mind. Successful migration to ANY country does not depend on lifestyle, money or even family, it is totally reliant on ATTITUDE. No-one can expect to travel half way around the world and find a carbon copy of the country they left with only the good points!

To those of you contemplating moving back to the UK i would have one piece of advise.....wait until you have PR in Australia first. Keep all your options open, for i have met countless migrants who have returned to the UK and then moved straight back to Australia (a costly exercise).

One thing that you should be prepared for (and which took me by surprise) is that you are now a different person to the one that left the UK. You have experienced a new country, climate, lifestyle and regardless of whether you want to admit it or not, your ATTITUDE to many things will now have changed. So whilst sharing a small house with relatives and having no money may not seem bad now........you may be surprised at how quickly the novelty wears off.

To those of you on here that are considering migration i would say, go with patience, and an open mind and heart. Take things one day at a time and try not to surround yourself with fellow english migrants as they can feed negative attitudes. Accept and acknowledge that Australians are different to yourself, take the positives from their culture and try not to constantly compare it to your own as the two will never match.

Please don't get me wrong ........i am not advocating staying in any country that you are not happy in. But, having lived in many different places during my life i know only too well that it takes time, commitment and attitude in order to settle into a new culture. I also know that my life has been enriched by my Australian experience and even though i am English by birth i know i could never again live there.

Good luck to everyone on here..........i hope you find your dreams whatever they are.

Old Nov 1st 2002, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Christian S
Hi again Sunny Sam,
As promised some info for you (and you didn't have to wait to long, lol)
Check out these sites and let me know how you get on, we are taking our pet FROM Australia where as you are bringing yours IN so i can't help you on cost as it will no doubt be different, but I can tell you that your cats will have to have an international microchip, rabies shots and blood tests, this all has to be done 6 months prior to you leaving the UK so get it started now.

There are websites with all the information you need regards to the PETS scheme, it is http://www.ezio.freeserve.co.uk/petspassport.htm
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

If I can help further please don't be afraid to ask

Christian
Might be repeating myself but one of my cats just walked across the keyboard and I don't know if he deleted or posted my message!
Thanks for the information, we are locating all the documents we need for the process and hope to have our application well on its way soon!
Susan and Rod
Old Nov 1st 2002, 6:06 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Although I am in Canada, I was so happy (if that is the right word!) to read posts from people who are moving back. I always feel like I am swimming against the tide when I say the emigration/immigration is not all it's cracked up to be. The UK has it's problems but it's what you know and I miss the people, the humour, the awareness of other world events....I could go on forever! You are always the foreigner anywhere else, regardless of old and very much resented colonial connections. It's a shame, but that's the way it is. England is way ahead of many countries in social attitudes. It's funny but whenever I see posts like these it's always the men who like it and the women and kids who hate it. It's the same here amongst the Brits who go back - and I wonder if it's because the two countries are so behind in attitudes towards employment equity, women's rights etc. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 1st 2002, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Dingbat,
what part of Canada are you living in, I"v been here 35 years it's a great place maybe its were you are thats the problem, I always hated the citys (Vancouver B.C.) so I moved to a small town "BIG DIFFERANCE" so now when I go to Vanc I love it for a day or so .
Old Nov 1st 2002, 11:10 pm
sydneyrose

Originally posted by dingbat
Although I am in Canada, I was so happy (if that is the right word!) to read posts from people who are moving back. I always feel like I am swimming against the tide when I say the emigration/immigration is not all it's cracked up to be. The UK has it's problems but it's what you know and I miss the people, the humour, the awareness of other world events....I could go on forever! You are always the foreigner anywhere else, regardless of old and very much resented colonial connections. It's a shame, but that's the way it is. England is way ahead of many countries in social attitudes. It's funny but whenever I see posts like these it's always the men who like it and the women and kids who hate it. It's the same here amongst the Brits who go back - and I wonder if it's because the two countries are so behind in attitudes towards employment equity, women's rights etc. Any thoughts?
A recent survey, dingbat, found that 54% of Britons wanted to emigrate. I don't believe it. It must have been raining on the day of the survey Or a national bad hair day. Britain is a fine place to live. Britain exported stoicism to the world, surely it hasn't lost its own. Or has it gone the way of english cricket?
But if emigration is a must then Britons should look to Europe. Britain is a European country and that is the natural destination for those seeking a life abroad. And it will be a life free of "colonial connections" and in the awareness of other "world events" (is oz news ever reported in the english press?)
I have never lived in Canada so you may be seeing things with a more experienced eye, but I have travelled with Canadians and respected and enjoyed their company and beliefs. As for gender issues - glass ceilings, paid maternity leave, subsidised child care, educational opportunity, we are all shades thereof in the west, aren't we? Do any of us stone adulterous women? And how much can we generalise? I thought Bill Clinton's treatment of Hillary deserved the public humiliation of the decade award. Does this make americans sexist? Most americans I know disapproved of his behaviour and his lies.
As for resentment of Britons, tune in to the Australia forum above and listen to the blighty blasters. The Empire has been revived , with a triple bypass. I don't know the uk migration figures to Canada, but here it is steadily sliding. From 50% 30 years ago to 11% today. Still too high - not because British migration is disliked but because it is an anachronism, a remant of empire. Oz's present and future lies in the asia pacific - from China and Japan through SE Asia to the Americas. This is where oz should be seeking migrants. Britain's present and future is in Europe.

Love your nom de plume. You know it means you have a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.