Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:36 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Prices to London = Bonkers

May be cheaper to fly to Dublin or Belfast and connect using a low-cost carrier from there.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Rather pay the higher price than subject myself to Ryanair
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
May be cheaper to fly to Dublin or Belfast and connect using a low-cost carrier from there.
Although the taxes and fees to Dublin and then switching carriers to LHR is less than 1/2 of a direct flight to LHR and a flight to LHR via Dublin is a little more than 1/2 taxes and fees of direct flights, the cost of the tickets are nearly the same as a direct flight to LHR. So you can't win no matter what you do.

It appears that since Ireland has reduced taxes and fees, it is restricting flights to and from the US to mostly Air Lingus so that their local carrier can be more profitable and be price competitive. If they opened up travel routes to other airlines from the US to Ireland, then airline prices would likely drop as airlines routed flights through Dublin.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 7th 2013 at 5:11 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I was thinking the same thing
I've been looking at the prices of summer flights. It's pretty depressing.
I moaned last summer at paying $1300 for Ds to fly to UK, now if I could find one for that price it would be good.
If I'm paying top wack I may as well wait till closer to the date then decide what to do.
Going one way only looks cheaper on the Queen Mary (from $999) Sometimes they have cheaper than that last minute.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Im the same travelling the other way, our expectation is that my CR1 will be in hand around August-October. August LHR-ATL is around £900, in September the same flight is £540.

I think i'll wait a few weeks and go
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Im the same travelling the other way, our expectation is that my CR1 will be in hand around August-October. August LHR-ATL is around £900, in September the same flight is £540.

I think i'll wait a few weeks and go
It used to be (prior to the internet) that the price of airline flights were based on the US$ but European travel bureaus used a low US$ exchange rate when calculating the price of flights to the US and therefore it ended up costing a European more to fly to the US than for Americans to fly to Europe. Check the prices on US travel sites to determine if there may possibly be better prices.

That may not occur anymore since with the speed of the internet, prices change daily.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

Am trying to get family some tickets for this summer , as you say crazy all are like $1200 + :-( my dad is coming in via vancouver but not saving much
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:47 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Why? I recently saw$824 Tampa to Dublin on aer lingus, plus Ryanair 20gbp to Bristol. Would that be a mistake? for an hour flight...
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nateusa
this is the stamp you need to work there correct?

you have to go back to the UK every two years to renew it.
We keep talking past each other. I assumed "there" meant your job in the US. Without knowing that your are referring to a stamp in your US passport to try to maintain your ILR status in the UK, I assumed you had a British passport and needed to get a stamp in that passport for renewal of a H-1B or L1 visa.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Ryanair......

http://youtu.be/HPyl2tOaKxM

Last edited by coastieexpat; Apr 9th 2013 at 5:24 am.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:32 am
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by RICH
Really? Why? I recently saw$824 Tampa to Dublin on aer lingus, plus Ryanair 20gbp to Bristol. Would that be a mistake? for an hour flight...
I refuse to reduce airline flights to the lowest common denominator. I don't want to have to check in online if its inconvenient to me, I don't want to be treated like a peice of meat. The CEO is a fruitcake, who wants to start charging to use the bathroom on a flight and has even suggested standing passengers.

I'd rather give someone else my business, and I'm so glad that the regulator keeps telling them where they can shove their bids for Air Lingus.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 9th 2013 at 5:39 am.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

If you were to fly to somewhere like Ireland, and switch to a "low-cost" airline, and the "low-cost" airline cancelled your return flight, or lost your bags.....you would be fooked.

Jim.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
If you were to fly to somewhere like Ireland, and switch to a "low-cost" airline, and the "low-cost" airline cancelled your return flight, or lost your bags.....you would be fooked.

Jim.
Plus they charge an arm and a leg for checking a suitcase, by the time you add that to the flight cost you could just go direct to UK.
I thought about hand luggage only but two of us in UK for a month over summer required a lot of clothes unlike here I can make do with shorts and tees and sandals. I might need a sweater, rain coat, jeans or summer clothes in UK.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell

That's the way we are flying (SEA to DUB) and we've flown to Dublin before. Even with a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Leeds, it still works out cheaper than for us to fly into London or Manchester!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:34 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's the way we are flying (SEA to DUB) and we've flown to Dublin before. Even with a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Leeds, it still works out cheaper than for us to fly into London or Manchester!
Do you go direct SEA to DUB?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.