Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flight costs to UK in August?

Flight costs to UK in August?

Old Mar 25th 2012, 1:09 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flight costs to UK in August?

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted here, but I still check in every few weeks or so.

Anyway, I haven't travelled to the UK in the height of summer for a long while, and I wondered what prices were like that time of year.

Someone posted about a BA sale through TravelZoo, so I was looking. Right now from the NY area, most airlines are quoting about $4900 for 2 adults, 2 children, but that TravelZoo deal comes out at about $3900.

I'm trying to work out whether I should hold out for a couple of months, or just go for it?

Anyone fly that time last year, what were the prices like then?

Thanks,

Neil
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight costs to UK in August?

Hard to compare against last year I'd have thought, with cost of fuel and taxes going up.

Olympics also finish 12th August, so pricey before that and the Para games start the 29th, so probably not going to be to cheap that month anyway.

Might save money flying into mainland EU, such as the Netherlands and connect to London from there, so save the international tax by coming in from a EU destination, that might save quite a wedge of cash.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:24 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hard to compare against last year I'd have thought, with cost of fuel and taxes going up.

Olympics also finish 12th August, so pricey before that and the Para games start the 29th, so probably not going to be to cheap that month anyway.

Might save money flying into mainland EU, such as the Netherlands and connect to London from there, so save the international tax by coming in from a EU destination, that might save quite a wedge of cash.
Try to avoid stopovers with the kids, but we were debating combining it with a vacation (i.e. time away from my parents place) - were thinking within the UK, but maybe we should do somewhere in Europe, or one thing we'd always thought about is the Icelandair stopover.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I'm flying for Roanoke to Manchester on August 17t for a week and it's costing me $1200 for just myself.....Orbitz seemed to come out the cheapest but I ended up doing it through my credit card so that I could use my points.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I always use Kayak whenever I'm searching for flights.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Flight costs to UK in August?

Another good website is

http://www.cheapoair.com

They often offer 'mystery' airlines ie. the very cheapest ticket can be purchased but the airline selling the ticket isn't revealed until you buy the ticket. However - before purchase you are told the departure time and if it is non-stop or not. If you buy the ticket and don't like the airline, you are given a 2 hour window to cancel and get a full refund.

It's quite easy to work out which airline it is (even if it is a codeshare). For example, my Aussie friend wanted to fly on 3rd July from Newark to LHR. The flight time was 21.20hrs. She phoned me and asked if it was likely to be Air India. Well, they don't fly from Newark. Three airlines fly non-stop to LHR from Newark; BA, Virgin and United. I'm actually flying with Virgin to London this weekend and my flight departs at 21.20....

Her ticket price with Cheapoair was $300 cheaper than buying it directly from Virgin on the very same flight!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:12 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I always use Kayak whenever I'm searching for flights.
Further to this set up a Kayak Alert. I got weekly updates on price.

The price of mine dropped $500 for one week only, paid the lowest ever to fly to the north of Scotland.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I found the same thing as Englishmum on Vayama - we got Virgin flights that were each $300 cheaper than the same flight direct from Virgin. We actually thought the flights were air Iberia so it was a lovely surprise when the confirmation came through with the Virgin details.

I wouldn't think the prices are likely to drop given the summer holidays/olympics/paralympics. If you want to cut the price i would look at a stopover in Europe.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Try signing up for airfarewatchdog as well. Just got an update today - from LA to GLA - $925.00.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:17 pm
Not here much

Thanks for all the suggestions - fantastic.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

www.hipmunk.com has been working out ok for us