British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Flight booked 13th June 2010. Going home back to UK and can't wait!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/flight-booked-13th-june-2010-going-home-back-uk-cant-wait-666420/)

andy170773 May 2nd 2010 3:41 am

Flight booked 13th June 2010. Going home back to UK and can't wait!!

We have been in Australia (Lake Macquarie) for just short of 4years. We have been constantly reviewing whether this was the place for us and recently decided we couldn't carry on living like this and that we were going back to our roots and close to family, friends.

We will be going back much more content and clearer on what we want to get out of life. The Australia experience which has been good has been an expensive experience but I truly believe that you can't put a price on what we have learn't from the experience.

what will we miss??
  • The few good close friends we have made.
  • The weather in general (not liking height of summer though, too hot)

What won't we miss???
  • Flies
  • Rude Australians
  • General driving in Oz. distances and drivers!!
  • Being ripped off for everything
  • being so far away.

We have booked our flight for 13/6/10, house settles on 11/6/10. Dogs can't fly till October so they are going in to Kennels(these guys will be sorely missed over the next 4 months) then rejoining us in the UK via Jetpets:p. Not got a rental sorted yet so will be split across our relations until we get sorted.

Will let you know how we go as we have got 5wks to sell everything!!! only stuff to be freighted back is all the kids things.

Very excited, and 100% sure the right decision. Will be hard work getting started again but treating it as a challenge and an adventure. We have done it before so it is not going to get any harder.:thumbsup:

quoll May 2nd 2010 4:34 am

Re: Flight booked 13th June 2010. Going home back to UK and can't wait!!

All the very best with your move on to the next step in your life! I hope that it all goes brilliantly. Nothing like having lived elsewhere in the world to make you appreciate the beauty and character of UK I reckon! Good luck with all the selling - there is always Freecycle if you cant sell it!

LIBBY May 2nd 2010 9:09 am

Wishing you all the best and I agree completely with the reasons you want to go home.

Not long to go for you either....action stations from now on!!

Good luck to you and yours!

LibbyX

Basil Brush May 2nd 2010 9:35 am

Your post sums things up pretty accurately and could have been written by my own hubby!! :lol:

Where are you going back to?

Mummy in the foothills May 2nd 2010 3:23 pm

Congrats on the decision I hope it all goes smoothly for you. :thumbsup:

jacqui cameron May 2nd 2010 6:06 pm

Good Luck with your move back.. I've been here for 13 yrs and feel the same way. We are going back for 6 weeks to have a look around again. We now have 6 month and 4 yr old. Cant wait !! Where will you live / work etc ??

andy170773 May 4th 2010 5:47 am

Thanks for the replys and good wishes.

To be honest what we are going back to is a "huge challenge". No job lined up yet, we have a rental close to family that is in the final stages of confirming (luckily a house that has come up for rent from a friend, large 4 bed detached in South Wirral). Kids have got places in good local schools with friends from pre Australia.

Realising getting a job now (in UK) is going to be tougher previous to the recession but do have a few contacts that I have confidence in helping. Ideally though moving back is a clean slate for us and I think I will be looking for any business opportunities and possibly fill in any gaps the recession has left for prospective opportunists!!

The main thing is we will be close to family and friends. Life is an adventure and there is no reason you can't succeed, work hard, stay positive and respect others.

We have lots of work to do in the next month. Citizenship ceremony tomorrow, this I hope will give the kids the same opportunities when they are old enough and willing. Hand my notice in at work, not looking forward to this as I do really enjoy the job and have a very good relationship with all including the MD. Hoping they will take it well and understand but am thinking it may be taken personally as they have invested a lot of time and money on me over a short period.

Will keep you posted of how things move along.

pcmaccallum May 4th 2010 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by andy170773 (Post 8540804)
Thanks for the replys and good wishes.

To be honest what we are going back to is a "huge challenge". No job lined up yet, we have a rental close to family that is in the final stages of confirming (luckily a house that has come up for rent from a friend, large 4 bed detached in South Wirral). Kids have got places in good local schools with friends from pre Australia.

Realising getting a job now (in UK) is going to be tougher previous to the recession but do have a few contacts that I have confidence in helping. Ideally though moving back is a clean slate for us and I think I will be looking for any business opportunities and possibly fill in any gaps the recession has left for prospective opportunists!!

The main thing is we will be close to family and friends. Life is an adventure and there is no reason you can't succeed, work hard, stay positive and respect others.

We have lots of work to do in the next month. Citizenship ceremony tomorrow, this I hope will give the kids the same opportunities when they are old enough and willing. Hand my notice in at work, not looking forward to this as I do really enjoy the job and have a very good relationship with all including the MD. Hoping they will take it well and understand but am thinking it may be taken personally as they have invested a lot of time and money on me over a short period.

Will keep you posted of how things move along.

Good luck and best wishes for a bright new future.

Chris :)