Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

First Visit Home in 15 Years am I in for a Shock ??

Wikiposts

First Visit Home in 15 Years am I in for a Shock ??

Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of
Default First Visit Home in 15 Years am I in for a Shock ??

It will be my first trip back to UK in 15 years and I'm taking my kids (10 & 14) who have never been there.

Apart from the obvious of the cost of everything, what other shock's do I have to look forward to ??

I'm sure there is going to be at least person who says I now have an American Accent although my Cockney accent sounds as strong as ever to me
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Visit Home in 15 Years am I in for a Shock ??

Originally Posted by ukelaine
It will be my first trip back to UK in 15 years and I'm taking my kids (10 & 14) who have never been there.

Apart from the obvious of the cost of everything, what other shock's do I have to look forward to ??

I'm sure there is going to be at least person who says I now have an American Accent although my Cockney accent sounds as strong as ever to me
Shopping is great, be it food or clothes. The latter are way nicer than here, but sooooo expensive, thanks to the weak dollar. Coffee places absolutely everywhere now. Restaurant food has improved immeasurably. Buses much better than they used to be, but avoid the tube during rush hour at all cost. (Make sure you get an Oyster card.) Most museums/art galleries are free now, and the half-price ticket booth in Leicester Sq is still there.

Have fun - but how on earth did you manage without going back at all for FIFTEEN years??!!!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:00 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be amazed at how many Poles you encounter, for a start! In cities like London, the entire service and construction industry seems to now be made up of Polish immigrants.

Personally, I think it's great. They seem to be more motivated, better at their jobs and politer than the Brits I encounter in similar roles.

...but I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony of so many people you meet complaining about "bloody immigrants"!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think the "rush" is something that will surprise you. The smell of something familiar that you haven't smelled in 15 years, be it a certain food or even the stench of the Tube. It will sort of hit you with a flash like 'oh yea, oh my god, I forgot about that. It reminds me of..."

You'll have a lot of those moments.

You'll also be meeting folks you haven't seen and there will be all sorts of oddness about that. It's ranges from 'like you were never gone' to almost a 'yea, hi, who are you again?'

Anyway, Terminal 5. Canary Wharf. London Eye, the Gherkin, the Docklands. Jubilee line. All pretty new developments you might have seen before. And lots and lots of Polish waitresses and waiters. That's kind of new.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I would think after fifteen years it will be weird to hear the majority of people speaking in an English accent.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

I last went back before I had my son and then we adopted my daughter and having funds for all of us was not in our finances, plus, staying with my sister 2 extra adults and 2 small kids in a 1 bedroom flat would have been WILD !!!

Then I think I just had this fear if I went back, I'd want to move back and it would open up a huge tin of worms.

Now, my hubby has left us, and my social life or any life has been zilch in the last 1 1/2 years. I knew it was about time to go and see if I had been missing anything and then I could plan my next step.

It will be hard if I do want to go back and live as the kids are still young and hubby is a American, but, we'll cross that bridge later.

The last visit I did take was very hard and although the visit was not good, I still had terrible homesickness after i got back and it lasted a long time, another reason I put it off and off and off
Old Jul 21st 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I last went back before I had my son and then we adopted my daughter and having funds for all of us was not in our finances, plus, staying with my sister 2 extra adults and 2 small kids in a 1 bedroom flat would have been WILD !!!

Then I think I just had this fear if I went back, I'd want to move back and it would open up a huge tin of worms.

Now, my hubby has left us, and my social life or any life has been zilch in the last 1 1/2 years. I knew it was about time to go and see if I had been missing anything and then I could plan my next step.

It will be hard if I do want to go back and live as the kids are still young and hubby is a American, but, we'll cross that bridge later.

The last visit I did take was very hard and although the visit was not good, I still had terrible homesickness after i got back and it lasted a long time, another reason I put it off and off and off
I had a gap similar to yours between visits. Drop your fear of being American sounding, it will be home, your accent will fix itself. For me I just felt comfortable in my own skin again. My kids who either didn't remember being there or who had never been finally "got" their mother and realised what I had always tried to tell them about the UK. Just relax and enjoy, and have a drink and some fish and chips for me.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Some years ago I stopped going back for visits for the same reason you did. My next trip back was approx 7 years later...a few new buildings here and there...but there was no doubt about it I was 'home'. I got in the rental car at the airport and thought no more about it...driving on the left and using stick shift just came naturally.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 3:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

On my last visit after 4 years ... 3 days and I wanted to get back here
hated it there ...
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I would think after fifteen years it will be weird to hear the majority of people speaking in an English accent.
Well, depending on where you go that will not necessarily be the case ...
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
On my last visit after 4 years ... 3 days and I wanted to get back here
hated it there ...
Completly off topic... Ray your avatar gives me the creeps!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

My daughter is all geared up to move there, but, that's because of the Soccer

But, if I did move back, I think she would be the one who wouldn't want to go at the end of the day.

My son, i don't know.

If I moved back I'd missed the San Diego weather, but, I feel like I'd get around more than I do here and you can walk somewhere and find a pub

We'll see, I know my stomach will be in knots as the date draws nearer.

Plus, I'm going by stand by, so that should be Fun ! NOT
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Please post your thoughts after you visit.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

But, if I did move back, I think she would be the one who wouldn't want to go at the end of the day.

My son, i don't know.
From an immigration perspective - did you register your kids' births at the British Consulate? Did you get UK passports for them?

This may severely affect your immigration options, should you want to consider returning.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you'll probably be in for a shock... but most things haven't changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.