Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

First time buyer of a house (in UK at least...)

First time buyer of a house (in UK at least...)

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

RickyTheRed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First time buyer of a house (in UK at least...)

Hi everyone, I hope I have come to the right place to ask this question!!!

I was born in South Africa to a British father and a South African mother. We moved to the UK when I was 3 years old and then back again when I was 12. I have been back and forth ever since.

I have both passports and as far as I know neither country knows that I'm a citizen of the other.

I don't know if thats a problem, i have never told them and they never asked.

I bought a house in South Africa and got married to a South African. We have since moved to the UK and we now want to buy a house.

The house is under 300K and as first time buyers we should be exempt from stamp duty.

However I do own a very small property in South Africa that is worth about 30K.

If we were to not declare this, what are the chances that the UK tax man will check? I found an article saying that the UK has agreements with the tax collectors of other countries. So if they do check, I could be liable for a fine of up to 5K.

As far as I know there is nothing linking me to my South African identity. so would they be able to trace me back?

And if they did, how would they know it was me and not someone with the same name and date of birth as me?

I know some people will have a problem with the ethics of this but we won't be able to get on the property ladder otherwise, and it seems really unfair to exclude us from this benefit given that the property in south africa is worth pretty much bugger all. But if you really feel that way, go ahead and kak me out, I get it!

Hypothetically speaking, how would the tax man know? And is there any way to check what dirt they have on you. Is there any way to tell if they know you are the same person.

TIA
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time buyer of a house (in UK at least...)

Originally Posted by RickyTheRed

I was born in South Africa to a British father and a South African mother. We moved to the UK when I was 3 years old and then back again when I was 12. I have been back and forth ever since.

I have both passports and as far as I know neither country knows that I'm a citizen of the other.

I bought a house in South Africa and got married to a South African. We have since moved to the UK and we now want to buy a house.

The house is under 300K and as first time buyers we should be exempt from stamp duty.

If we were to not declare this, what are the chances that the UK tax man will check? I found an article saying that the UK has agreements with the tax collectors of other countries. So if they do check, I could be liable for a fine of up to 5K.

As far as I know there is nothing linking me to my South African identity. so would they be able to trace me back?

And if they did, how would they know it was me and not someone with the same name and date of birth as me?

I know some people will have a problem with the ethics of this but we won't be able to get on the property ladder otherwise, and it seems really unfair to exclude us from this benefit given that the property in south africa is worth pretty much bugger all. But if you really feel that way, go ahead and kak me out, I get it!

Hypothetically speaking, how would the tax man know? And is there any way to check what dirt they have on you. Is there any way to tell if they know you are the same person.

TIA
Welcome to BE.

Please have a read of the site rules https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
No-one posting on BE will advise you to do anything that is illegal, so I'm afraid that you will get little help in trying to find a way to do what you want. Your best bet is to sell your property in South Africa, this means that you will not be breaking any rules.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE.

Please have a read of the site rules https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
No-one posting on BE will advise you to do anything that is illegal, so I'm afraid that you will get little help in trying to find a way to do what you want. Your best bet is to sell your property in South Africa, this means that you will not be breaking any rules.
Exactly.

The OP says that the UK does not know that he holds a passport from another country which means he has already been lying to the UK government when renewing his UK passport as that question is one of the first questions asked when applying to renew a UK passport.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RickyTheRed

TIA
So you’re effectively asking forum members (many of whom will already be UK tax payers) to help you dodge UK taxes ? Yes I have an ethical problem with that.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
So you’re effectively asking forum members (many of whom will already be UK tax payers) to help you dodge UK taxes ? Yes I have an ethical problem with that.
+1. OP, please re-read our Site Rules, nobody here is going to help you commit tax fraud. Remember it's not just a £5000 fine if caught, you'd also have a criminal record. Is it really worth risking?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 4th 2019 at 4:46 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 4:57 am
Just Joined

GeorginaUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Government rules state that a first-time buyer is someone who has never owned freehold or leasehold interest in a dwelling before and who is purchasing their only or main residence. Residential property anywhere in the world is counted when determining whether someone is a first-time buyer

But there is this scheme also which may be of help to you:
Those with a small deposit, could be eligible to use the Help to buy scheme:

Equity Loan scheme: available to first-time buyers and existing homeowners who want to buy a ‘new build’ house. The purchase price must be no more than £600,000. Under this scheme, you can borrow 20% of the purchase price interest-free for the first five years as long as you have at least a 5% deposit. If you live in London, you can borrow up to 40% of the purchase price.

The Help to Buy equity loan scheme will be extended until 2023. However, this extension will be restricted to first-time buyers purchasing newly built homes.

From 2021, there will also be new regional price caps which could reduce the maximum value of home that can be bought through the Equity Loan Scheme.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...ousing-schemes

Last edited by GeorginaUK; Sep 11th 2019 at 5:02 am.