Reload this Page >

Finding a rental through Facebook Marketplace

Finding a rental through Facebook Marketplace

Old Sep 22nd 2022, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Katerina1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a rental through Facebook Marketplace

Hi -

Does anyone have experience renting a flat through Facebook Marketplace? It looks a bit strange to be honest …

I am looking at Greater Manchester area and they show really nicely presented 3-bedroom flats going for 900 pounds per month.

I find it hard to believe as 2-bed standard looking flats are shown on Rightmove.com which is a trusted site.

Too good to be true maybe?

Many thanks for your thoughts !
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Claire Crossley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding a rental through Facebook Marketplace

I don't know about these listings specifically, but I'm sure you know the old saying that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Can you add a link?
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 8:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katerina1
Hi -

Does anyone have experience renting a flat through Facebook Marketplace? It looks a bit strange to be honest …

I am looking at Greater Manchester area and they show really nicely presented 3-bedroom flats going for 900 pounds per month.

I find it hard to believe as 2-bed standard looking flats are shown on Rightmove.com which is a trusted site.

Too good to be true maybe?

Many thanks for your thoughts !
Never heard of flat renting through marketplace, though I often use it for selling secondhand stuff. I do know that many people have been scammed by bogus rentals on Gumtree though, so I'd be very very careful.

Out of interest - Just had a peruse looking for flats in Brighton - immaculate 2 bed/2 bath on the seafront for 650 a month? Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Sticking to the established agents has to be much safer.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 22nd 2022 at 8:32 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Claire Crossley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Never heard of flat renting through marketplace, though I often use it for selling secondhand stuff. I do know that many people have been scammed by bogus rentals on Gumtree though, so I'd be very very careful.

Out of interest - Just had a peruse looking for flats in Brighton - immaculate 2 bed/2 bath on the seafront for 650 a month? Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Sticking to the established agents has to be much safer.
Agree - probably it will go something like this: they will ask you for a deposit, to be paid online, before giving you the property details - and that'll be the last you hear from them.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 10:13 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes when you read more closely, or get more details, you discover that the stated rent is to rent a room in that house, not the whole house.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's not as if £900 (€1,031) is cheap either. But I would agree to always verify the source.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 12:14 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I often found 'bargains' on sites like AirBnB were scams. One of the ways I did so was to take the image from the suspected scam site and do a Google Image Search on that image (i.e. upload and Google searches for similar images). I then found the exact same flat, with a reputable listing agency, at the 'real' price and that's how I was able recognize the bargain as a scam.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your answers!

Yes I also had a sense that some listings are too good to be true and therefore stayed away.

It is amazing that people can get away with taking deposits and disappearing , perhaps they don’t even operate from within the UK.

Either way will stick to Airbnb for short rentals and Rightmove.com for longer term rentals .
Old Sep 28th 2022, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a listing of apartments on Facebook when I was looking for an apartment to rent, but didn't pursue it as the rents were too low to be realistic - it had to be a scam.
Old Sep 28th 2022, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tdrinker
I saw a listing of apartments on Facebook when I was looking for an apartment to rent, but didn't pursue it as the rents were too low to be realistic - it had to be a scam.
Yes agreed , it looks a complete waste of time to be honest …