Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finding a Place to Rent with Pets

Finding a Place to Rent with Pets

Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:06 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a Place to Rent with Pets

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I wouldn't go anywhere near a company that wants you to pay them to do a search. A reputable company earns their income by matching owners and houses.
For lots of people it makes perfect sense to hire someone to do the work - for example, if you're struggling to find somewhere like the OP, or if you live thousands of miles away and have a 7-day a week work schedule like me.

A letting agent is paid by the home owner and therefore has no incentive to do a good job for the tenant. His loyalty is to the person paying him. By hiring a home finder, you get someone who earns his or her money when you are happy and not before.

It's important to check references before hiring someone but that's true of anything.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

To find a 4 bed is not easy for the simple reason there are not many around. At the height of the "buy to let" boom the preferred property was a 2 bed preferably new to keep down the maintenance costs. We rent out a 3 bed and when I mentioned adding another bedroom the agent informed be that whereas I could expect a little more rent it would not be proportional to the cost of the addition. They do start showing properties during the last month of the tenancy to minimise the empty period. Our turn around has been as little as 3 days. If a property needs a lot of work a good agency will probably not touch it as they do not like being stuck in the middle between a tenant complaining and a landlord who is reluctant to carry out repairs. Not claiming to be an expert, we have rented our place a long time, this is simply information I have picked up from the agency over the years.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
For lots of people it makes perfect sense to hire someone to do the work - for example, if you're struggling to find somewhere like the OP, or if you live thousands of miles away and have a 7-day a week work schedule like me.

A letting agent is paid by the home owner and therefore has no incentive to do a good job for the tenant. His loyalty is to the person paying him. By hiring a home finder, you get someone who earns his or her money when you are happy and not before.

It's important to check references before hiring someone but that's true of anything.
Lots of people? I have never heard of anyone using a company to find them a house. These people take money and usually provide little more than a list. If the company are happy to take their payment upon successfully finding a house then that seems ok, but upfront, nope would not go there?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of people? I have never heard of anyone using a company to find them a house. These people take money and usually provide little more than a list. If the company are happy to take their payment upon successfully finding a house then that seems ok, but upfront, nope would not go there?
well i am afraid sometimes you just don't have any choice, i would rather not have gone this route. But with 2 cats and 2 dogs i am kinda up against it.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes lots of people - and I think we might be talking about a different type of service. Actually, they don't just provide a list. The company we'll be using sources a list of properties, visits them all, develops a shortlist and then accompanies the client to the viewings. They also negotiate the sale and/or rental of the property.

The fee for doing all this is one month's rent. If buying a house, the fee is a 1% of the sale price along with a share of any savings they negotiate off the asking price. I realize it's not for everyone, but given the challenges I already have to deal with, and my need to get pets into a rental in a highly competitive area, I'm thankful for the help. Especially as the person we'll be working with is a local and knows the area like the back of her hand.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Guinness
Hi
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. We are hoping to move back to the UK from Canada with our 2 dogs and 2 cats. Trying to find a place to rent seems almost impossible, and very stressful. Is anyone else in a similar situation? any advice would be great.
I did get in touch with a company that was willing to help but they charge 750 pounds
Thank you
Hi
I would just like to give u some hope. We rent a 4 bed house with 2 Saint Bernards, 1 newfoundland and 2 cats, with 3 grown up children. We returned from NZ in 2007 and moved again in 2009, it is very difficult to find property and we used an estate agent, but it is not impossible, do not give up hope