Wikiposts

Finding Jobs in the UK

Old May 18th 2013, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Finding Jobs in the UK

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think it would also depend how in demand your skills are. If you have unusual or particularly valuable skills, employers will be willing to jump through hoops to talk to you, but if you do a job that people here could do, it would seem less likely that they'd want to bother.

That said, I'm a big believer in ignoring 'the norm' and making things happen for yourself - if you try hard enough and get creative about how you approach the search, I don't see why anyone can't be successful.

One word of advice on resumes/CVs - ignore people who say there's a big difference between American and UK resumes. There used to be, but now UK employers expect a document that is almost entirely like an American resume. (Australians will need to cut their resumes down to a max of 2 pages if they have the longer version often accepted/expected over there). The only difference is the spelling and the need to use A4 paper settings on your computer so that UK recruiters can print your resume.
I really like that part, it's so true isn't it? And in all aspects, not just finding jobs. Going to boards and finding the mainstream thought pattern is difficult because so many people have varying experience and varying ideas on how to go about things, so my thought is just equip yourself with all realistic knowledge and then go about setting it out for yourself.
Now if only I could follow this myself!
Old May 18th 2013, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I found these links in the UK-Yankees forum.

http://www.move-to-england.com/average-income.html

http://www.move-to-england.com/get-a-job.html
Old May 19th 2013, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

A forum for moving to the UK called move-to-england?....amusing...
Old May 19th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
A forum for moving to the UK called move-to-england?
Yes, it really talks only about England.
Old May 19th 2013, 8:19 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong
Networking is supposed to be the best method of finding a job in the USA. I expect it is the same for the UK, although I wonder about that. I think it would be more difficult to network to find jobs in the UK. Any thoughts?
I would agree. So witnessed its a case of not WHAT you know but WHO you know. That is how I got my job. I happe ed to me tion to my new housemate if he could see if there were any vacancies where he works and he did the rest. So I do think that networking can help for sure..