Wikiposts

Finding Jobs in the UK

Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:06 am
Just Joined

borboletawords is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding Jobs in the UK

Originally Posted by Magpie1
This is how I managed to land my job in the UK from the USA.

I started out just by applying on line and was making zero progress. So I decided to take a weeks vacation to England booked the flights and then contacted a couple of agencies and told them that I was returning to live in the UK and the situation with getting my wife's visa under the new rules. They managed to get me seven interviews during that week. Admittedly I was totally open to location and they stretched from Rochester in Kent all the way up to Wakefield in Yorkshire. So off I went and after a week of interviews I ended up with 2 offers of which I excepted one and start mid April

Now I am just hoping my wife's visa comes through in time so we can travel together rather than separately.

Admittedly I have a specific skill set which probably helped but I was amassed at the amount of interviews they lined me up with.

So it is possible you just have to be determined enough.
HI there,
congratulations on finding a job. I'm very happy for you. you must be so happy too. hopefully your wife's visa will come through.
i tried to send you an IM but was unable to. i was just wondering if you could give me some advice on how to get a non-EEA visa for your spouse? which form did you apply for? many thanks kel
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:17 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borboletawords
HI there,
congratulations on finding a job. I'm very happy for you. you must be so happy too. hopefully your wife's visa will come through.
i tried to send you an IM but was unable to. i was just wondering if you could give me some advice on how to get a non-EEA visa for your spouse? which form did you apply for? many thanks kel
I think you need to have three posts to be able to IM someone - if you reply to this post, you'll be there!

[Also, there is a whole section on these kinds of questions, here]
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

hi , thank you very much for replying to me. I appreciate it. A little lost with this site at the moment but i will eventually get it .
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:08 am
Just Joined

the links you gave me if great. thanks. put me in the right direction. good luck with everything. x
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

TrappedinUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, this is my first post. I came back in 2008 after living in USA for a while. I live in Essex, close to London. Its difficult to get back into the job market after living overseas. Temporary work is the easiest to get into but still very competitive. Other people I know who have gone traveling for a year or so also report the same thing. Its like your being punished for taking time out of your career, and once you return your treated like any other immigrant.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TrappedinUK
Hi, this is my first post. I came back in 2008 after living in USA for a while. I live in Essex, close to London. Its difficult to get back into the job market after living overseas. Temporary work is the easiest to get into but still very competitive. Other people I know who have gone traveling for a year or so also report the same thing. Its like your being punished for taking time out of your career, and once you return your treated like any other immigrant.
That's sad!
I didn't think it was like that!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to hear how you all went about finding a job when arriving in the UK, what field of work you were looking in, and how long it took you.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:35 pm
Banned

karterbezon is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Finding Jobs in the UK

Originally Posted by windsong
I thought it was time we had a thread for job-seeking in the UK with input by those who are seeking and those who have already done so. A list of potential topics for discussion was kindly put together by another member. Here it is:
  • Feedback from successful jobseekers for specific jobs
  • Best websites for particular job searches
  • Jobseeker tips
  • Where the jobs are for particular skills
  • Where is good to locate to commute-wise to get to those jobs
  • What skills you should hone or emphasise for maximum possibilities
  • Where is a happy medium jobs location (customised) to meet an individual's needs to also be fairly near family and/or friends
  • Where is jobs "utopia"???

What resources are you using to find jobs and, if you have found one already, how did you find it?
Hi i am Karter.I am computer engineer.I was looking for a job from 6 months.I had given 6 interview but each time i was rejected.Then i contact to Xist4 IT recruitment agency in London.They helped me to improve my overall soft skill like (How to write a CV,Interview Tips,Technical Skill) and 2 month ago i got a job.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Has anybody heard of, or got a "certificate of good conduct"?
I came across it when I was filling in an application form yesterday. I would need a CRB clearance as I am a teacher, but since they can't search your records abroad, I understand this certificate is sometimes required, and you get it from where you were living. It's the first time I'd come across it, and just wondered if, and how anybody's obtained one.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:54 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Every job application should include a good cover letter. What does the UK expect to see in a cover letter?

(I've written some in the USA but I would not consider them particularly good, although I used them as an opportunity to highlight a few items in my resume; however, I'm not sure if the UK expects to see the same content in a cover letter as in the USA).
got to be honest, i hate the cover letter especially knowing your application might not even be glanced at, so spending a good hour perfecting it seems more like a crap shoot.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:56 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
I came across it when I was filling in an application form yesterday. I would need a CRB clearance as I am a teacher, but since they can't search your records abroad, I understand this certificate is sometimes required, and you get it from where you were living. It's the first time I'd come across it, and just wondered if, and how anybody's obtained one.
i think only the antiquated British police do such a thing.
Old May 12th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Networking is supposed to be the best method of finding a job in the USA. I expect it is the same for the UK, although I wonder about that. I think it would be more difficult to network to find jobs in the UK. Any thoughts?
Old May 12th 2013, 2:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
i think only the antiquated British police do such a thing.
You can get documentation of a clean record from the police in the USA (maybe not all states; they are like 50 different countries). Might not be called the same, but it is essentially the same.
Old May 12th 2013, 3:40 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
This is often required for such jobs in the USA too.

As Dunroving says, in the USA you contact your former state or local police dept to get a criminal records check done on yourself.

EHow has some instructions here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4780136_chec...ackground.html
Old May 16th 2013, 10:03 am
Firetrak

Originally Posted by WEBlue
This is often required for such jobs in the USA too.

As Dunroving says, in the USA you contact your former state or local police dept to get a criminal records check done on yourself.

EHow has some instructions here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4780136_chec...ackground.html
I'm not sure how correct this is, usually employers just perform a criminal background check, perhaps decades ago before computers you needed such documentation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.