Finding Jobs in the UK

Old Mar 7th 2013, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Magpie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding Jobs in the UK

Originally Posted by windsong
That's great news! Did you notice any hesitancy to employ you since you were "on vacation" there at the time and had lived overseas for a while?
There was some hesitancy but once I explained my situation to them they were supportive and understanding. I was totally honest with them and explained how I ended up in the States over 22 years ago and now wanted to return to my homeland. Ideally they wanted some one to start sooner but felt I was a good fit so were prepared to wait. Now I just wish that visa for my wife was here so I can go ahead and book our flight.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Magpie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Congratulations on your news and success. I will be there (UK) with you by the end of April for the second part.

It is possible everyone you just have to believe -didn't someone famous say that - oh no I just realized its also a Disney thing, Now to wash my mouth out with soap, I've been here to long
Thank you vikingsail

I will forgive you the Disney quote I know things start to slip out of your mouth after a lenghty period here. I will have to start brushing up on my English phrases again.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magpie1
There was some hesitancy but once I explained my situation to them they were supportive and understanding. I was totally honest with them and explained how I ended up in the States over 22 years ago and now wanted to return to my homeland. Ideally they wanted some one to start sooner but felt I was a good fit so were prepared to wait. Now I just wish that visa for my wife was here so I can go ahead and book our flight.
I am so glad it all worked out for you You must keep us informed about how you do once you get there
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magpie1
Thank you vikingsail

I will forgive you the Disney quote I know things start to slip out of your mouth after a lenghty period here. I will have to start brushing up on my English phrases again.
And don't forget the spelling! Good luck
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Re Video conferencing, I had one interview when I went out to NZ, The company were going to pay for the call but their equipment was so bad they could not dial in in the end I had to get the Techie in this end (more cost as this was late at night) and then ended up paying for the call, the screen constantly froze and sound went! in my experience the skype interviews have been far superior and when this has not worked a telephone interview has worked well TBH I think its luck of the draw
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Thanks so much for starting this thread. Husband will be searching for jobs once/ if we get back to the UK and so will I but we need to look in the meantime at what is available. His job is not transferable ( government and he is not a BC) and I have been out of the workforce as a stay at home mum now for several years. Coupled with the lack of jobs available it's going to be tough but we are starting to get creative in options to explore and reminding each other to stay positive and persevere. Off to look up indeed.co.uk...thanks again.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of any career resources in the UK that would explain which careers are in high demand, qualifications generally needed for those careers, and how much you would earn in them?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of any career resources in the UK that would explain which careers are in high demand, qualifications generally needed for those careers, and how much you would earn in them?
Someone had posted this earlier. It's the shortage occupations list. Doesn't give you details of the jobs though: http://www.visabureau.com/uk/shortag...ions-list.aspx
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Someone had posted this earlier. It's the shortage occupations list. Doesn't give you details of the jobs though: http://www.visabureau.com/uk/shortag...ions-list.aspx
Thank you very much!! This is very helpful
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks so much for starting this thread!
I think this is a hard time for young, especially those who had studied and want to work in the same field.
They need all the support to ensure that they don't give up!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone had any success using a recruitment agency?? If so it would be great to hear your experience.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:17 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

engineering for sure. essentially anything technical is in demand.

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
just saw that, i'll say again, engineers...

I think the fact they list software developer is taking the piss, the UK pays them a pathetically low salary, even taking the exchange rate into consideration, they are pad close to double in the USA.

Last edited by ldollard; Mar 13th 2013 at 2:20 am.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldollard
engineering for sure. essentially anything technical is in demand.

just saw that, i'll say again, engineers...

I think the fact they list software developer is taking the piss, the UK pays them a pathetically low salary, even taking the exchange rate into consideration, they are pad close to double in the USA.
Yes, it seems anything scientific or engineering-related is in demand. I wonder about other fields of work, though.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:55 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Well a little bit of positive news with the job situation. I'd sent out a couple of UK job applications, not really expecting to hear anything back (especially as I'm still in the US), but I was pleasantly surprised to get an email back on Friday from one of the employers, thanking me for my application, but apologising because the position had already been taken. They said they would keep my resume on file in case any positions came up in the future, and they recommended contacting them on my arrival back in the UK, to update them with my new address and contact phone number.

So that's pretty good right?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well a little bit of positive news with the job situation. I'd sent out a couple of UK job applications, not really expecting to hear anything back (especially as I'm still in the US), but I was pleasantly surprised to get an email back on Friday from one of the employers, thanking me for my application, but apologising because the position had already been taken. They said they would keep my resume on file in case any positions came up in the future, and they recommended contacting them on my arrival back in the UK, to update them with my new address and contact phone number.

So that's pretty good right?
I got a similar response from one I had applied for, too It's nice to get a response even if the position has been filled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.