Finding Jobs in the UK

Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Jobs in the UK

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I truly believe in the highlighted. When I was filling in online application forms I was frustrated by that innocuous little box that says 'when can you interview' or something similar. I see it as a big obstacle when abroad. My epiphany was to be proactive so I decided to state I was available in person with at least two weeks notice and otherwise I could also video/skype interview. Can I say this got me an interview? Well no not definitely but I do believe my bold polite statement with the offer of a solution/ alternative worked. I can say that previously I had 'fudged' the issue and got nowhere.

Regarding Skype interviews. For me I had read lots of experiences good and bad on BE re the use of Skype in interviews. I also use it regularly myself so think I am aware of its positives and pitfalls. After testing it pre interview I decided for a number of reasons that I was not comfortable with using it; uncertainty re internet connection, lack of professionalism - not wanting to operate the mechanism while trying to interview or constantly be saying things like can you hear me now! I decided a small amount was worth the gamble on using professional video conferencing facilities. I am aware that can get expensive. I was lucky imho, I found after some searching a place that only charged about $100. Others I found online were quoting $300-400. I thought $100 was fair as it was fairly close to associated travel costs for any interview.

The experience of a video conference facility, which was only a small conference room with a flat screen TV and a 'gun' like camera which swiveled 360' pointing at me was great. It definitely allowed me to focus on the interview at hand as I was not worrying about how I looked, angle of camera, audio etc. All that was taken care of and worked perfectly fine. Despite my genetic hinderances I felt I looked like a TV presenter rather than a family member far away in Timbuctoo trying to say hello. Thats a great effect for exotic war correspondents in Beirut but not the best when your trying to put your best face forward - thats the best simile I can give. I was also able to give a full powerpoint style presentation over the TV/ video link which worked perfectly.

Anyhow thats my experience. It worked for me I hope there are some gems of wisdom others can possibly take from this post. That might sound a bit trite so I would add I have spent nearly 12 months agonizing over job apps and what to do re interviews etc. I have had many dark moments when I thought it was pointless and no one would consider me from abroad, plenty of qualified candidates in the UK, why bother with the added stress of organizing a video interview. What kept me going was optimism. I think I eventually turned my situation around and made the perceived negative a positive and something unique that interviewers would want to participate in.etc

Good luck
Thank you, vikingsail, for contributing this very valuable information that gives everyone hope - and has been such inspiration for me that I am now actively trying to find a job over there. My efforts begin today. I am parked in a cafe with my laptop ready to devote a few hours to this project

I was hoping you would stop by this thread and contribute.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you, vikingsail, for contributing this very valuable information that gives everyone hope - and has been such inspiration for me that I am now actively trying to find a job over there. My efforts begin today. I am parked in a cafe with my laptop ready to devote a few hours to this project

I was hoping you would stop by this thread and contribute.
Good luck
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Every job application should include a good cover letter. What does the UK expect to see in a cover letter?

(I've written some in the USA but I would not consider them particularly good, although I used them as an opportunity to highlight a few items in my resume; however, I'm not sure if the UK expects to see the same content in a cover letter as in the USA).
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Good luck
Thank you so much!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lo and behold!!! I found the perfect job already - seriously!!! My background is quite unique and so was the job I held for almost 20 years, so I never ever thought I'd find such a job again - and it is the first one that popped up in my search!!!! I truly cannot believe this - now what to do? This is unbelievable!

I am afraid to apply, I think. It's pure disbelief and I need to get over this.

Footnote: It says interviews will take place in February 2013 so the ad is old. It's probaby been filled by now, but this tells me I need to watch for old ads still out there on the Internet. It was very good to see this ad, though!!

Last edited by windsong; Mar 6th 2013 at 1:28 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Lo and behold!!! I found the perfect job already - seriously!!! My background is quite unique and so was the job I held for almost 20 years, so I never ever thought I'd find such a job again - and it is the first one that popped up in my search!!!! I truly cannot believe this - now what to do? This is unbelievable!

I am afraid to apply, I think. It's pure disbelief and I need to get over this.

Footnote: It says interviews will take place in February 2013 so the ad is old. It's probaby been filled by now, but this tells me I need to watch for old ads still out there on the Internet. It was very good to see this ad, though!!
If it popped up in your search you have nothing to lose by following up with a telephone call enquiring whether the job is still open/ accepting applications - you have the perfect excuse it was still posted online?

The job I am currently in was the same. I applied six weeks after the position was stated closed on the internet and here I am!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vikingsail
If it popped up in your search you have nothing to lose by following up with a telephone call enquiring whether the job is still open/ accepting applications - you have the perfect excuse it was still posted online?

The job I am currently in was the same. I applied six weeks after the position was stated closed on the internet and here I am!
Gosh, that is encouraging! I sent them an email but perhaps I will phone them, too. In fact, I need to get used to phoning over there because voice-to-voice is definitely better. Excellent tip!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

When I have employed people in the past, I always took more interest in the cover letter than I did in the CV content. The cover letter gave me an insight into the person applying and how serious they are about the position in question.

I have never contacted someone who sent generic applications to numerous companies. It was always a bonus as an employer when the person applying indicated in their cover letter that they had researched the company and reasons as to why they applied for that particular position.

If it was me; and 2 people were right for the position based on experience etc., and only 1 person took the time to write an exceptional cover letter, I would go out of my way to speak to this person.

Last edited by AngelaV; Mar 6th 2013 at 4:52 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think it would also depend how in demand your skills are. If you have unusual or particularly valuable skills, employers will be willing to jump through hoops to talk to you, but if you do a job that people here could do, it would seem less likely that they'd want to bother.

That said, I'm a big believer in ignoring 'the norm' and making things happen for yourself - if you try hard enough and get creative about how you approach the search, I don't see why anyone can't be successful.
Unfortunately I do not have valuable skills that employers would be willing to jump through hoops for
I've been in banking for 14 years here (loans, mortgages, credit cards and the like) but I think that kind of person is ten-a-penny in UK.
Also, I have often found some of the applications I do fill out don't give any leeway to put down suggestions such as "I will interview via skype" or even a place for me to mention that I will be in UK this year and am a British citizen.
My intention when I get back to UK is to befriend pretty much everyone in banks and building societies in my area so I can say "may I use your name as a reference?" when it comes to filling out the apps as a lot of them do ask if you know someone who is already working there and on Barclays application page, it has specific places for you to only apply if you have already been referred by an existing employee.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by AngelaV
When I have employed people in the past, I always took more interest in the cover letter than I did in the CV content. The cover letter gave me an insight into the person applying and how serious they are about the position in question.

I have never contacted someone who sent generic applications to numerous companies. It was always a bonus as an employer when the person applying indicated in their cover letter that they had researched the company and reasons as to why they applied for that particular position.

If it was me; and 2 people were right for the position based on experience etc., and only 1 person took the time to write an exceptional cover letter, I would go out of my way to speak to this person.
Angela, a lot of the applications I've done have not given an opportunity to write a cover letter at all and so therefore I cannot sell myself or give any information about myself
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Angela, a lot of the applications I've done have not given an opportunity to write a cover letter at all and so therefore I cannot sell myself or give any information about myself
This is very true. This hit home again today when I was trying to apply for jobs here. They say "Go to our web site and complete an application". The web site is a huge database and you fill in the fields they set up - no free text fields to add comments or anything about me. I suppose I am just another "digit".
Old Mar 6th 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for everyone for their valuable input into this thread. My daughter would like to move back. She is a lab tech here. She sent her qualifications to Naric to be looked over, came back "no comparable" and basically just the equivalent of lots of GSCE?? Cant' find the paperwork!! She is thinking of going back to college here but wonders if whatever she goes to college for will work out over there. She thought of teaching or HR. She is a Dual citizen. I think she'll just have to do a lot of research. She has a boyfriend, US citizen, but I did tell her if she got a job making over $18,600 she could bring him over on a visa? Anyway, enjoying all the information. Thankyou.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Magpie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is how I managed to land my job in the UK from the USA.

I started out just by applying on line and was making zero progress. So I decided to take a weeks vacation to England booked the flights and then contacted a couple of agencies and told them that I was returning to live in the UK and the situation with getting my wife's visa under the new rules. They managed to get me seven interviews during that week. Admittedly I was totally open to location and they stretched from Rochester in Kent all the way up to Wakefield in Yorkshire. So off I went and after a week of interviews I ended up with 2 offers of which I excepted one and start mid April

Now I am just hoping my wife's visa comes through in time so we can travel together rather than separately.

Admittedly I have a specific skill set which probably helped but I was amassed at the amount of interviews they lined me up with.

So it is possible you just have to be determined enough.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magpie1

I started out just by applying on line and was making zero progress. So I decided to take a weeks vacation to England booked the flights and then contacted a couple of agencies and told them that I was returning to live in the UK and the situation with getting my wife's visa under the new rules. They managed to get me seven interviews during that week. Admittedly I was totally open to location and they stretched from Rochester in Kent all the way up to Wakefield in Yorkshire. So off I went and after a week of interviews I ended up with 2 offers of which I excepted one and start mid April

Now I am just hoping my wife's visa comes through in time so we can travel together rather than separately.

Admittedly I have a specific skill set which probably helped but I was amassed at the amount of interviews they lined me up with.

Congratulations on your news and success. I will be there (UK) with you by the end of April for the second part.

It is possible everyone you just have to believe -didn't someone famous say that - oh no I just realized its also a Disney thing, Now to wash my mouth out with soap, I've been here to long
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Magpie1

That's great news! Did you notice any hesitancy to employ you since you were "on vacation" there at the time and had lived overseas for a while?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.