Wikiposts

Finding Jobs in the UK

Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finding Jobs in the UK

I thought it was time we had a thread for job-seeking in the UK with input by those who are seeking and those who have already done so. A list of potential topics for discussion was kindly put together by another member. Here it is:
  • Feedback from successful jobseekers for specific jobs
  • Best websites for particular job searches
  • Jobseeker tips
  • Where the jobs are for particular skills
  • Where is good to locate to commute-wise to get to those jobs
  • What skills you should hone or emphasise for maximum possibilities
  • Where is a happy medium jobs location (customised) to meet an individual's needs to also be fairly near family and/or friends
  • Where is jobs "utopia"???

What resources are you using to find jobs and, if you have found one already, how did you find it?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Jobs in the UK

Originally Posted by windsong
I thought it was time we had a thread for job-seeking in the UK with input by those who are seeking and those who have already done so. A list of potential topics for discussion was kindly put together by another member. Here it is:
  • Feedback from successful jobseekers for specific jobs
  • Best websites for particular job searches
  • Jobseeker tips
  • Where the jobs are for particular skills
  • Where is good to locate to commute-wise to get to those jobs
  • What skills you should hone or emphasise for maximum possibilities
  • Where is a happy medium jobs location (customised) to meet an individual's needs to also be fairly near family and/or friends
  • Where is jobs "utopia"???

What resources are you using to find jobs and, if you have found one already, how did you find it?
Can I also suggest we add what websites people have used / are using that accurately cover pay scales for different professions / job types?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

I'm curious to know if any employers take you seriously when applying from USA despite putting in many times that you're a British citizen who is coming back to live in UK or do they simply dismiss it due to current location?

Has anyone applied for and been successful securing employment this way, without having the benefit of a family member or friend helping them ie. "putting in a good word" for them?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I'm curious to know if any employers take you seriously when applying from USA despite putting in many times that you're a British citizen who is coming back to live in UK or do they simply dismiss it due to current location?

Has anyone applied for and been successful securing employment this way, without having the benefit of a family member or friend helping them ie. "putting in a good word" for them?
I'd like to know that too, for applying from Canada!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We've had a few callbacks from agents but not yet been successful applying from oversea's. One of the agents told my husband that he's difficult to place outside of the country as the clients generally want to fill the positions as soon as they're advertised and not have to wait for him to arrive in July.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I did from NZ I just kept on applying and had a wide search area, some employers did not read my application and gave me 24 hours notice for an interview for which I was meant to attend in person others ignored just keep at it is my advice, I had my interview for the role I am in now on 31/10 last year I started on 7/2 this year my new employer was happy to wait especially as I had 3 months notice!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

nhs jobs: www.jobs.nhs.uk
university jobs www.jobs.ac.uk
monster uk
reed uk
and lots of agencies
also there is a civil service site to name a few
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Thanks for that Janey. I have been applying for a lot more jobs recently although what I noticed was (especially on the Lloyds Banking Group site) that if you have applied and been rejected in the last 6 months, you cannot apply again for any others until the six months have elapsed!
Seems odd to me but there you go, I suppose they can make their own rules to suit as they see fit.

I think I may well stop applying until I have a definite date to arrive back. That way I can focus everything on the application and not find my mind wandering thinking of the move. Also, some of the applications I have seen do ask people to "pop in" for a chat if interested in the position, which of course at the moment is impossible!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Thanks for that Janey. I have been applying for a lot more jobs recently although what I noticed was (especially on the Lloyds Banking Group site) that if you have applied and been rejected in the last 6 months, you cannot apply again for any others until the six months have elapsed!
Seems odd to me but there you go, I suppose they can make their own rules to suit as they see fit.

I think I may well stop applying until I have a definite date to arrive back. That way I can focus everything on the application and not find my mind wandering thinking of the move. Also, some of the applications I have seen do ask people to "pop in" for a chat if interested in the position, which of course at the moment is impossible!

Someone in the forum had a great idea of suggesting a video conference - and got the job!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:29 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

indeed.co.uk is a really good source, it aggregates all job listings in the UK
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldollard
indeed.co.uk is a really good source, it aggregates all job listings in the UK
Wonderful suggestion!! I know that indeed.com that is used in the USA is a very useful site
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Although I'd love nothing more than to get a job from here, arrive in UK and start the following week I think realistically I'll wait until I'm firmly ensconced and can then say with hand on heart that yes, I can start immediately
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

my interview and chats with some agencies was over skype and worked well it depends how bothered an employer or agency can be!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would also depend how in demand your skills are. If you have unusual or particularly valuable skills, employers will be willing to jump through hoops to talk to you, but if you do a job that people here could do, it would seem less likely that they'd want to bother.

That said, I'm a big believer in ignoring 'the norm' and making things happen for yourself - if you try hard enough and get creative about how you approach the search, I don't see why anyone can't be successful.

One word of advice on resumes/CVs - ignore people who say there's a big difference between American and UK resumes. There used to be, but now UK employers expect a document that is almost entirely like an American resume. (Australians will need to cut their resumes down to a max of 2 pages if they have the longer version often accepted/expected over there). The only difference is the spelling and the need to use A4 paper settings on your computer so that UK recruiters can print your resume.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Mar 5th 2013 at 11:30 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think it would also depend how in demand your skills are. If you have unusual or particularly valuable skills, employers will be willing to jump through hoops to talk to you, but if you do a job that people here could do, it would seem less likely that they'd want to bother.

That said, I'm a big believer in ignoring 'the norm' and making things happen for yourself - if you try hard enough and get creative about how you approach the search, I don't see why anyone can't be successful.

One word of advice on resumes/CVs - ignore people who say there's a big difference between American and UK resumes. There used to be, but now UK employers expect a document that is almost entirely like an American resume. (Australians will need to cut their resumes down to a max of 2 pages if they have the longer version often accepted/expected over there). The only difference is the spelling and the need to use A4 paper settings on your computer so that UK recruiters can print your resume.
I truly believe in the highlighted. When I was filling in online application forms I was frustrated by that innocuous little box that says 'when can you interview' or something similar. I see it as a big obstacle when abroad. My epiphany was to be proactive so I decided to state I was available in person with at least two weeks notice and otherwise I could also video/skype interview. Can I say this got me an interview? Well no not definitely but I do believe my bold polite statement with the offer of a solution/ alternative worked. I can say that previously I had 'fudged' the issue and got nowhere.

Regarding Skype interviews. For me I had read lots of experiences good and bad on BE re the use of Skype in interviews. I also use it regularly myself so think I am aware of its positives and pitfalls. After testing it pre interview I decided for a number of reasons that I was not comfortable with using it; uncertainty re internet connection, lack of professionalism - not wanting to operate the mechanism while trying to interview or constantly be saying things like can you hear me now! I decided a small amount was worth the gamble on using professional video conferencing facilities. I am aware that can get expensive. I was lucky imho, I found after some searching a place that only charged about $100. Others I found online were quoting $300-400. I thought $100 was fair as it was fairly close to associated travel costs for any interview.

The experience of a video conference facility, which was only a small conference room with a flat screen TV and a 'gun' like camera which swiveled 360' pointing at me was great. It definitely allowed me to focus on the interview at hand as I was not worrying about how I looked, angle of camera, audio etc. All that was taken care of and worked perfectly fine. Despite my genetic hinderances I felt I looked like a TV presenter rather than a family member far away in Timbuctoo trying to say hello. Thats a great effect for exotic war correspondents in Beirut but not the best when your trying to put your best face forward - thats the best simile I can give. I was also able to give a full powerpoint style presentation over the TV/ video link which worked perfectly.

Anyhow thats my experience. It worked for me I hope there are some gems of wisdom others can possibly take from this post. That might sound a bit trite so I would add I have spent nearly 12 months agonizing over job apps and what to do re interviews etc. I have had many dark moments when I thought it was pointless and no one would consider me from abroad, plenty of qualified candidates in the UK, why bother with the added stress of organizing a video interview. What kept me going was optimism. I think I eventually turned my situation around and made the perceived negative a positive and something unique that interviewers would want to participate in.etc

Good luck

Last edited by vikingsail; Mar 6th 2013 at 1:04 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.