Reload this Page >

Financial Requirement with Savings for Spouse

Wikiposts

Financial Requirement with Savings for Spouse

Old May 23rd 2013, 1:43 am
Just Joined

rsl2107 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Requirement with Savings for Spouse

I am a British citizen married to a US citizen. I have been living in the US for 9 years. Now looking to move back to the UK with my husband. My current job is ending and I know I will need to find employment to bring my husband to the UK. As a back up, my family have agreed to help us out with cash savings.
We have $25,000 in savings in the US (equal to 16,000 GBP) -- can we count this toward to the 62,500 total needed to meet the financial requirement for savings?

Thank you for your help!
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:44 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Requirement with Savings for Spouse

You need 62K in savings to apply for spouse visa - IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB AT ALL

unless there is an easier way ? then TELL ME !
Old May 23rd 2013, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsl2107
I am a British citizen married to a US citizen. I have been living in the US for 9 years. Now looking to move back to the UK with my husband. My current job is ending and I know I will need to find employment to bring my husband to the UK. As a back up, my family have agreed to help us out with cash savings.
We have $25,000 in savings in the US (equal to 16,000 GBP) -- can we count this toward to the 62,500 total needed to meet the financial requirement for savings?

Thank you for your help!
Yep, savings can be held in most forms during the six months up to application. At the time of application they must be in fully liquid cash form (exact details - check the rules Appendix FM-SE). That can be in any currency and the day's exchange rate will be used as defined in appendix FM-SE. BUT if you are within a few pounds of the 62,500 then you may not want to risk the conversion going against you on the date they do it. If you have sufficient buffer in your savings then you may be happier with that risk than converting to GBP earlier than you would usually choose to.

As for family helping out - they will need to give you the money, NOT LOAN, 6 months in advance and you will have to convince the Home Office that it is a gift, not a loan
Old May 24th 2013, 12:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
.... As for family helping out - they will need to give you the money, NOT LOAN, 6 months in advance and you will have to convince the Home Office that it is a gift, not a loan
However a gift can have significant tax implications, so you should get an accountant in the UK to advise you; and do not even think about pretending the loan is a gift.
Old May 28th 2013, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rsl2107
Only savings over 16,000gbp can be applied towards the financial requirement.
In other words if you only have 16,000 gbp then it is actually of no use to you in order to make up any deficit in the income that you receive.

This document explains the financial requirements in detail.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary