Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finally...we have a date for going home!

Finally...we have a date for going home!

Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finally...we have a date for going home!

Just a little thing that might help when you get back. If you can download your local electoral register forms and get them into the UK as quickly as possible. There is an update of the national register on 1st December which will help with anything you need to buy using credit such as mortgage or a mobile phone.

We missed the last update by 2 days so are having to wait until December before we can apply for a mortgage. The next update is not until April.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Thanks - that's good advice that I read somewhere else on here a while ago. When we first move back, we will be living with my parents for a short while, so I asked them to include us on their electoral register forms a few months ago.

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Just a little thing that might help when you get back. If you can download your local electoral register forms and get them into the UK as quickly as possible. There is an update of the national register on 1st December which will help with anything you need to buy using credit such as mortgage or a mobile phone.

We missed the last update by 2 days so are having to wait until December before we can apply for a mortgage. The next update is not until April.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat

This thing re the electoral roll, is that just to do with schooling or it will prove beneficial in other ways such as housing or taxes or something?

It's so long that I have been on an electoral register I am like a ghost!! Miss Nobody
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
This thing re the electoral roll, is that just to do with schooling or it will prove beneficial in other ways such as housing or taxes or something?

It's so long that I have been on an electoral register I am like a ghost!! Miss Nobody
I couldn't even get a 15 quid a month phone contract until I was on the electoral roll. If you want credit of any kind, however small it is very important.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I couldn't even get a 15 quid a month phone contract until I was on the electoral roll. If you want credit of any kind, however small it is very important.
OK will get on the electoral roll ASAP!! I didn't need the credit thingie last year but my next time around is going to be far leaner.........
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

It gets your credit rating rolling.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill123
Our house sale has just gone unconditional so I can finally get the shipping and flights home booked! Am very happy but very nervous!

My parents arrive here on 9th December for a 5 weeks holiday and our house settlement goes through on 10th December, so I've booked us all into a holiday rental for our last few weeks in Oz.

We are using Kents for the shipping as they've been recommended to us by a few people and their rate was the best I got - $7225 for a 20ft container from Perth to UK.

I've booked our one way flights to the UK for 13th January.

We'll be moving in with my parents when we return for a few weeks while we try to sort out an unfurnished rental.

My biggest issue is going to be getting my 10 year old daughter a school place. I can't apply to the council for a school place until I get a rental in the catchment area and even if I get a rental in the catchment, it doesn't guarantee we get a school place as the area we will live in is over subscribed for schooling! It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation! Pointless getting a rental in a certain area if we can't get in the school. I just hope we get lucky!

We have a Toyota Tarago to sell before we go and will be having a garage sale as there is no way that the furniture we have here will fit in a UK house.

So lots to organize, but I'm so happy it's happening.

We came to live in Australia for an adventure and once we got the visa, we couldn't not try it. We assumed we would both get well paid jobs (as we had in the UK) and would enjoy a comfortable lifestyle here, but it hasn't happened. If I could press rewind and go back to the point we were at when we left the UK, I definitely would! I just hope we can put our life back together when we return. We might not earn as much as we used to, as the doom and gloom surrounding the UK at the moment might affect this, but having close friends and family close by will make all the difference.

I will update on our progress when we get back because I've enjoyed reading how other people have found it and hope someone is interested in our experiences!
You'll find that you will be stronger ,wiser and more grateful than you ever thought.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Gill - I will post you an update tomorrow as I am just heading to bed.

We did 2 and a half years in Perth and came home (using Kent). Been back in UK a year now. No regrets - just try to stay positive. We left UK for a reason and came back for a reason.

We are delighted to be home - It's not all doom and gloom.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your holiday.

Any questions - feel free to ask.

Jan