Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finally...we have a date for going home!

Finally...we have a date for going home!

Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice
Default Re: Finally...we have a date for going home!

Hi Gill

We are returning around the same time, house sold, movers booked etc... but we have the same issue with schools. We are moving back to SE Herts but every school seems to be full. We have been told the same thing buy the council contact us when you arrive and we will find a place for your children but cannot guarantee where! So I said tell me where there are places and we will move there, that is surely the logical process. So far no joy what is going on with schools in the UK why are they all so full.

Bit stressed

Pete

Originally Posted by Gill123
Our house sale has just gone unconditional so I can finally get the shipping and flights home booked! Am very happy but very nervous!

My parents arrive here on 9th December for a 5 weeks holiday and our house settlement goes through on 10th December, so I've booked us all into a holiday rental for our last few weeks in Oz.

We are using Kents for the shipping as they've been recommended to us by a few people and their rate was the best I got - $7225 for a 20ft container from Perth to UK.

I've booked our one way flights to the UK for 13th January.

We'll be moving in with my parents when we return for a few weeks while we try to sort out an unfurnished rental.

My biggest issue is going to be getting my 10 year old daughter a school place. I can't apply to the council for a school place until I get a rental in the catchment area and even if I get a rental in the catchment, it doesn't guarantee we get a school place as the area we will live in is over subscribed for schooling! It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation! Pointless getting a rental in a certain area if we can't get in the school. I just hope we get lucky!

We have a Toyota Tarago to sell before we go and will be having a garage sale as there is no way that the furniture we have here will fit in a UK house.

So lots to organize, but I'm so happy it's happening.

We came to live in Australia for an adventure and once we got the visa, we couldn't not try it. We assumed we would both get well paid jobs (as we had in the UK) and would enjoy a comfortable lifestyle here, but it hasn't happened. If I could press rewind and go back to the point we were at when we left the UK, I definitely would! I just hope we can put our life back together when we return. We might not earn as much as we used to, as the doom and gloom surrounding the UK at the moment might affect this, but having close friends and family close by will make all the difference.

I will update on our progress when we get back because I've enjoyed reading how other people have found it and hope someone is interested in our experiences!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by garyp
Fly back Fiday evening from Brisbane (tomorrow) and land back in UK Saturday afternoon. Furniture has been packed and gone. Slept on airbeds for couple of nights and left bare essentials to manage. Sleep at friends for our last night tonight. Stressing about luggage at moment as we are over. Only allowed 20kg with Malyasian airlines. Just have to pay excess if they want to be strict but aircraft looks half empty when I checked in online.
Good luck with it all. Keep us updated on how you go trying to get your life back together in the UK!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
Hi Gill

We are returning around the same time, house sold, movers booked etc... but we have the same issue with schools. We are moving back to SE Herts but every school seems to be full. We have been told the same thing buy the council contact us when you arrive and we will find a place for your children but cannot guarantee where! So I said tell me where there are places and we will move there, that is surely the logical process. So far no joy what is going on with schools in the UK why are they all so full.

Bit stressed

Pete

Schooling is causing me the biggest stress. As you say, the council are not much use. In our area in NE, they keep building 4 bed homes but don't build any additional schools, so the schools become oversubscribed and have waiting lists. So many children end up having to go to schools in areas outside where they live and I really want to avoid that. I even know someone who's house backs onto a school playing field, but they can't get a school place there - the children have to get a bus to a school 10 miles away!

I guess we just have to hope we have luck on our side and there just happens to be a place in the schools we are looking at.

Best of luck with it all

Gill
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Our house sale has just gone unconditional so I can finally get the shipping and flights home booked! Am very happy but very nervous!

My parents arrive here on 9th December for a 5 weeks holiday and our house settlement goes through on 10th December, so I've booked us all into a holiday rental for our last few weeks in Oz.

We are using Kents for the shipping as they've been recommended to us by a few people and their rate was the best I got - $7225 for a 20ft container from Perth to UK.

We'll be moving in with my parents when we return for a few weeks while we try to sort out an unfurnished rental.

My biggest issue is going to be getting my 10 year old daughter a school place. I can't apply to the council for a school place until I get a rental in the catchment area and even if I get a rental in the catchment, it doesn't guarantee we get a school place as the area we will live in is over subscribed for schooling! It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation! Pointless getting a rental in a certain area if we can't get in the school. I just hope we get lucky!

We have a Toyota Tarago to sell before we go and will be having a garage sale as there is no way that the furniture we have here will fit in a UK house.

We came to live in Australia for an adventure and once we got the visa, we couldn't not try it. We assumed we would both get well paid jobs (as we had in the UK) and would enjoy a comfortable lifestyle here, but it hasn't happened. If I could press rewind and go back to the point we were at when we left the UK, I definitely would! I just hope we can put our life back together when we return. We might not earn as much as we used to, as the doom and gloom surrounding the UK at the moment might affect this, but having close friends and family close by will make all the difference.

I will update on our progress when we get back because I've enjoyed reading how other people have found it and hope someone is interested in our experiences!
Well done on your house sale......if you need to sell anything try gumtree...we even sold our car on that site....try not to worry about the u.k things at the moment....if you know the area you want to settle in the u.k then phone around the local schools and "get known"....we did that and the High School were just wonderful....the plus is that you are going back halfway through the school year and sometimes children have moved away from schools etc so there should be a few spare places.....let local estate agents know you are coming back into their areas and go on their rental mailing list......but most of all have a good holiday with your parents....take your time to put the Jigsaw pieces of life together once your back in the U.K..if I have learnt from all of this migration scenario and that is....."it all takes time to come together and to be a bit more patient" easier said than done I know...All the best....and good luck....and I certainly know what you me about the "re-wind" button....but your also coming back a little bit wiser and with a different prospective on things and thats not all bad either...
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

cretemum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Am reading with interest this thread with regards to schools admission in the UK.

We are moving back in Feb and trying to get 3 children into 'mid-term' transfer; 2 into primary and 1 into secondary.

At the moment...if one primary has space for the 4 year old, it doesn't have space for the 8 year old or vice versa.

The primaries nearest the secondary are full.

Like previous posters have said; you have to be in situ in order to apply. There is not much we can do I suppose. Wait and see; I plan to try and live nearest the secondary school so my daughter can get home quickly and safely alone even if I have to travel a distance to collect the 2 younger ones - hopefully from the same school!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Awesome!!! Well done for making the decision. We moved back in September and absolutely loving being HOME! Long may it continue. Broke now but I'm in the right place for us now. I fit into my life here pretty well. I could never see WA being long term for me and had to make that move before I became trapped by it all, investing too many years there would have made it harder to leave.

Good luck with the packing. Enjoy Xmas
So glad to hear you're getting settled & enjoying being back so much

We now have a fab Christmas to look forward to, there's so much amazing food already & can't wait to give some of it a try....
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Just wanted to say good luck to all those on this thread who are in the process of packing up & moving back, and also those who have just moved.... you'll all be alright
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

Just wanted to second Obewan.

Good luck to everyone that has made the best decision for them - and hope everything goes well !
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you Australian citizens? If not you might want to try and sort this out before you return to give you more options in the future.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Are you Australian citizens? If not you might want to try and sort this out before you return to give you more options in the future.
We aren't citizens and I just can't wait another 2+ years for this to happen.

Our current permanent residency visa expires April 2013. If we are still pondering on where to live or don't want to rule out Australia completely, I will apply for a residents return visa, so we will have another 5 years to decide. If anyone knows of a reason that this won't work, I'd like to know about it!

I always think you can never say never about returning, but I'd be amazed if we had a change of heart about living here.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Our current permanent residency visa expires April 2013. If we are still pondering on where to live or don't want to rule out Australia completely, I will apply for a residents return visa, so we will have another 5 years to decide. If anyone knows of a reason that this won't work, I'd like to know about it!

I always think you can never say never about returning, but I'd be amazed if we had a change of heart about living here.
You have to prove significant ties with Australia to qualify for a RRV if I recall correctly.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/resi...ligibility.htm

If you have sold up and having nothing left here you may not qualify.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
You have to prove significant ties with Australia to qualify for a RRV if I recall correctly.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/resi...ligibility.htm

If you have sold up and having nothing left here you may not qualify.
I think that because we will have been here for 2 years out of the last 5 (at the point of our PR visa expiring) we can apply. The other conditions of getting the RRV show the above condition, then "or" significant ties to Australia.

I will check this with immigration though as I don't want to assume.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I think that because we will have been here for 2 years out of the last 5 (at the point of our PR visa expiring) we can apply. The other conditions of getting the RRV show the above condition, then "or" significant ties to Australia.

I will check this with immigration though as I don't want to assume.
If you have clocked up two years you can apply for an RRV online....it takes a few minutes to complete.....you will then get a confirmation within a day or so.....the process is very simple.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. I think you can only get away with the RRV once though, but it sounds like this would give you more than enough options.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obewan
So glad to hear you're getting settled & enjoying being back so much

We now have a fab Christmas to look forward to, there's so much amazing food already & can't wait to give some of it a try....
What I am enjoying is popping into our local coffee shop and seeing the "christmas" specials...ie different christmas themed drinks....cakes etc...does not sound much I know and we also had this kind of thing at our Local Gloria Jeans in Perth but for some reason..maybe the hot weather etc..it just was not the same as here...that and our local Christmas lights are being swiched on next Friday...with Carol singers, local produce markets this time with a christmas theme...bliss....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.