Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finally, moving back to England!

Finally, moving back to England!

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Revans18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finally, moving back to England!

We don’t have the British passports anymore and would need to apply for new ones. I did read that the certificate can be used when British citizens travel on a non UK passport.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Forget about Certificates of Entitlement. Totally unnecessary in your situation. Your passport applications will be processed in a matter of weeks, not months, and you have nearly a year.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revans18
I’ve heard it can take a year! I will look into it again, but I don’t want to mail my original UK birth certificate. Do you know if they accept electronic images/ files? Thanks

Getting a UK passport is probably one of the better services from the UK Gov. Everyone says how quick and efficient it is........ and, you have nearly a year to apply !!!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 2:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve heard it can take a year! I will look into it again, but I don’t want to mail my original UK birth certificate. Do you know if they accept electronic images/ files? Thanks
You will need to send original documents. You can order a new certified copy of your birth certificate from the General Register Office in the unlikely event yours goes missing.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Do you know if the British Embassy is able to help with passports in person? I live near DC but not sure if they are open during this time of pandemic.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 2:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if the British Embassy is able to help with passports in person? I live near DC but not sure if they are open during this time of pandemic.
For several years now new passports and renewals have been done in the UK only.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 2:30 am

The passport office in DC was closed down nearly ten years ago but the online overseas application form is straightforward and is almost identical to the online process to apply for a passport in the UK.

You have plenty of time plus this forum to help you figure it out.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. To complicate it even more, I’ve just sent away for a new US passport and won’t get my new one for 4-12 weeks. Ugh.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 3:36 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. To complicate it even more, I’ve just sent away for a new US passport and won’t get my new one for 4-12 weeks. Ugh.
You have loads of time, and the process is very easy. Not complicated at all.

Just work through the questions here, and it will tell you exactly what to do.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I believe you will need to send a colour copy of your US passports since you hold US citizenship. You still have plenty of time.

My son is a British citizen by descent, born in the US. There were no issues getting his British passport from the US. Just send the documents they ask for.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Dec 3rd 2021 at 3:39 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:33 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Is a holiday in the UK feasible? Get round trip tickets for the three of you, and get your British passports at an in-person appointment at the Peterborough passport office. Doesn’t have to cost too much, especially if you have friends and family to stay with.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 8:47 am

This doesn’t need to be complicated. If you don’t have a current US passport then you don’t need to submit a copy. When did your and your mother’s British passports expire? Was your daughter born in the US?
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 10:16 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Forget about Certificates of Entitlement. Totally unnecessary in your situation. Your passport applications will be processed in a matter of weeks, not months, and you have nearly a year.
THIS!

The British passport system is so easy to use. We applied for our youngest’s British passport as he was born in Canada. I recall that we had to send the original birth certificates for both myself and him. The only slight catch was that I needed the long version of my birth certificate which I had to get. But you have so much time!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

No clue when our British passports expired, but it could have been 40 years ago….lol…yes, my daughter was born in the US.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, this is a great suggestion! No, I don’t think a quick trip to the UK will be possible, but I will keep it in mind.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

So, here’s another question: what if we purchased round trip tickets to the UK, travelled on our American passports and then just never left the UK? I know this sounds a bit shady, but what would happen really? Would some official come find us and deport us? I don’t think so! Once we get there, my first intention would be to get British passports. We have plenty (all) of family and friends to stay with if needed. Seems like it might be less expensive to forfeit the return airfare ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.