Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finally, moving back to England!

Finally, moving back to England!

Old Dec 2nd 2021, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Revans18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally, moving back to England!

So glad I found this forum! I have lots of questions and hope someone can help me. After many years in the US, my mother and I are ready to move back to England. We will bring my 21 year old daughter with us. My mother and I have dual citizenship between the US and the UK and travel on American passports. We plan to get British passports once we are back in England (I think that is the only way--must be there in person, right?). My first question is, if we travel on a one way ticket to England, what will Immigration ask us? We will have an address where we will be staying. I may or may not have a job at that point. My mother is retired. I don't want to get held up at the airport if some sort of paperwork is required. I've searched through the British Embassy website and even emailed them--but their reply did not answer my question. I've also tried searching on the UK gov website--lots of information, but not exactly an answer.
Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 11:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally, moving back to England!

It would be a much better idea to get British passports for the whole family before you travel. You won’t be able to work, rent a property or open a bank account without one.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 11:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revans18
So glad I found this forum! I have lots of questions and hope someone can help me. After many years in the US, my mother and I are ready to move back to England. We will bring my 21 year old daughter with us. My mother and I have dual citizenship between the US and the UK and travel on American passports. We plan to get British passports once we are back in England (I think that is the only way--must be there in person, right?). My first question is, if we travel on a one way ticket to England, what will Immigration ask us? We will have an address where we will be staying. I may or may not have a job at that point. My mother is retired. I don't want to get held up at the airport if some sort of paperwork is required. I've searched through the British Embassy website and even emailed them--but their reply did not answer my question. I've also tried searching on the UK gov website--lots of information, but not exactly an answer.
Thanks!
Hi Revans, welcome to BE.

Re. your passports, you can apply for/renew them online https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
If you're moving back permanently then use your British passports to enter the country, there will be no need for a return ticket and no questions will be asked. If you use your US passports you can only be admitted as a visitor and that creates complications.

Is your daughter a British citizen and does she have a British passport? If not, she'll need to apply for one prior to landing also.

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. I do not think it will be possible to get British passports in time. What sort of compilations do you mean? My daughter is a British citizen by birthright and travels on an American passport.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Read the bottom section of this:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mmMOna-pssg7fg
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It would be a much better idea to get British passports for the whole family before you travel. You won’t be able to work, rent a property or open a bank account without one.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
ooops, I didn't see your reply before I posted
Thanks. I do not think it will be possible to get British passports in time. What sort of compilations do you mean? My daughter is a British citizen by birthright and travels on an American passport.
See Brit in Paris' post #2. Plus, you will be questioned at the border as to the reasons for your visit to the UK, as you can only be admitted as a visitor with a US passport. If you answer the questions truthfully, as you must, and say you're a British citizen and have returned to the UK to live, but don't have a British passport, you'll have to prove another way that you're a British citizen. I don't know how you'd do that but Brit in Paris will know if it's possible.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Dec 3rd 2021 at 1:32 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I will check the web site again, but I might not have the time to get the British passports. I do have my original British birth certificate, isn’t that proof that I am a citizen? Could I show this upon entry?
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I will check the web site again, but I might not have the time to get the British passports. I do have my original British birth certificate, isn’t that proof that I am a citizen? Could I show this upon entry?

YOUR birth certificate might be sufficient to show you are a Brit citizen, but from what you say you have nothing to show your daughter is. Saying she is a Brit by birthright means nothing to the border officials.
Thinking about it you might not even get on the plane - a one way ticket and only US passports? you have nothing to show you have the right to remain in the UK and airlines these days don't want the hassle of having to fly people back to their original country.
Having said all that, if one goes

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 3rd 2021 at 1:44 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

When is your departure date?
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

October 1, 2022
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. I found the page to apply for the Certificate of Entitlement, right to abode. Maybe we all 3 apply for them.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I found the page to apply for the Certificate of Entitlement, right to abode. Maybe we all 3 apply for them.

Why.? You are not flying until October 2022 - plenty of time to get UK passports ......
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I am worried about how my daughter will prove citizenship. She will have her birth certificate with my name on it. I am going to try for the right to abode certificate.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I am worried about how my daughter will prove citizenship. She will have her birth certificate with my name on it. I am going to try for the right to abode certificate.

Why?.... if you are a Brit born and bred and she was born in the US she is a Brit by descent - just get her passport. If you and your mum had British passports which have expired then just get new ones......
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

I’ve heard it can take a year! I will look into it again, but I don’t want to mail my original UK birth certificate. Do you know if they accept electronic images/ files? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.