The final gesture...

Old Jul 1st 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default The final gesture...

12 years in Oz and ~16 months back in the UK....

Another typical day in UK: facing down the hoodies and dodging the ASBO-brandishing pensioners. Why bother? The government’s just taxing us into a state of penury.

Well, that’s what I would write if I worked for the Daily Mail, or attempted my best joined-up for The Sun.

But I don't. Sorry, Mail and Sun, we love it back in the UK – so, stick it up your tabloids!

When I first arrived in Oz, I thought it was the bee’s knees. But as time rolled by, the mist slowly cleared to reveal the blandness, parochialism and racism. No doubt this is why Oz was/is such a magnet for South Africans. But, it was only when I was away from Oz that I realized how small-minded it is – the treatment of asylum seekers, especially those on the Tampa, was the proverbial last straw; I was ashamed to be an Australian. Perhaps things may improve in 25 years.

For us, life is about much more than sun, sun, beach, BBQ, footy and grog. If I believed in reincarnation, I might be willing to waste this life in Oz, but then again I might end up being reincarnated as an aborigine in an Alice Springs’ lock-up.

The irony is that it has been the influx of immigrants and…(Daily Mail readers turn away now)… asylum seekers (esp."boat people") into Oz, over the past 30 years, that has turned a dull country into something better.

Contrary to the comment that the UK has 'gone to the dogs', it is far better than when we left in 1989. Often, when people refer to 'gone to the dogs' they mean that things have changed and they don’t like it. If you thrive under that form of conservatism, buy a compass, turn it until the needle aligns with "ESE" and keep on walking/swimming for 10,500 miles.

And to think, I remember an Aussie telling me in 1988 "Oz has gone to the dogs. We're emigrating to NZ". Ha!

Sure, some things have got worse in the UK - crime, guns, gap between rich and poor: but, that is also true in most western countries, including Oz. But, if you want a more objective comparison, go to a site like: www.nationmaster.com. The stats indicate that the basics in UK and Oz are all much of a muchness. But, for some homework, you might like to answer this question "Why is the suicide rate in Oz so much higher than the UK?"

In the UK, there is far more variety, work opportunity and affordable access to other countries. The media are far superior. Sure, Oz, has got the sunshine and beaches. And? A couple of weeks ago we returned from a week’s break in sunny climes (for the same cost as an internal Oz flight) and we realised that we didn't miss sun'n'sand at all. But, if we do long for a trip to increase our chances of contracting skin cancer, we know it’s just a couple of hours away. The UK weather has definitely changed over the past 15 years: generally hotter summers and milder winters. But, still it is changeable - there's that word again - something that doesn't happen in the world’s largest suburb.

The self-deprecating nature of Brits is a refreshing change from the juvenile grandstanding so beloved of Aussies. And, there is the humour. Not, the in-your-face-humour of the Aussies that has all the subtlety of a thermonuclear device. And here it is ok to say, 'Sport? Who cares!" (small lie, it was good to see Hewitt the Redneck annihilated on Friday). And, like many returnees, we have a new found appreciation for the UK - its history and culture - both good and bad.

Do we regret staying in Oz for so long? Perhaps. Certainly, 3 years in Oz is more than enough. But staying in the world's largest shopping mall meant that, on our return, we now really appreciate what the UK and Europe have to offer. I mean, the French can be as annoying as hell, but at least they have something to be arrogant about.

Would I recommend that people go to Oz? Of course! They’ll either like it or they’ll return with a new found appreciation of UK and/or Europe. So, it’s a kind of win-win. Except for those that feel trapped in Oz, because they can’t afford to return…

The Oz passport is now somewhere up in the loft, no doubt being used as a mouse’s duvet (where are those Oz loft-dwelling snakes when you need one?…).

And so endeth Mike Stanton's foray into the parallel universe that is British Expats.

G'day and amen.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

pdohr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The final gesture...

Originally Posted by MikeStanton

Another typical day in UK: facing down the hoodies and dodging the ASBO-brandishing pensioners. Why bother? The government’s just taxing us into a state of penury.

Well, that’s what I would write if I worked for the Daily Mail, or attempted my best joined-up for The Sun.

But I don't. Sorry, Mail and Sun, we love it back in the UK – so, stick it up your tabloids!

When I first arrived in Oz, I thought it was the bee’s knees. But as time rolled by, the mist slowly cleared to reveal the blandness, parochialism and racism. No doubt this is why Oz was/is such a magnet for South Africans. But, it was only when I was away from Oz that I realized how small-minded it is – the treatment of asylum seekers, especially those on the Tampa, was the proverbial last straw; I was ashamed to be an Australian. Perhaps things may improve in 25 years.

For us, life is about much more than sun, sun, beach, BBQ, footy and grog. If I believed in reincarnation, I might be willing to waste this life in Oz, but then again I might end up being reincarnated as an aborigine in an Alice Springs’ lock-up.

The irony is that it has been the influx of immigrants and…(Daily Mail readers turn away now)… asylum seekers (esp."boat people") into Oz, over the past 30 years, that has turned a dull country into something better.

Contrary to the comment that the UK has 'gone to the dogs', it is far better than when we left in 1989. Often, when people refer to 'gone to the dogs' they mean that things have changed and they don’t like it. If you thrive under that form of conservatism, buy a compass, turn it until the needle aligns with "ESE" and keep on walking/swimming for 10,500 miles.

And to think, I remember an Aussie telling me in 1988 "Oz has gone to the dogs. We're emigrating to NZ". Ha!

Sure, some things have got worse in the UK - crime, guns, gap between rich and poor: but, that is also true in most western countries, including Oz. But, if you want a more objective comparison, go to a site like: www.nationmaster.com. The stats indicate that the basics in UK and Oz are all much of a muchness. But, for some homework, you might like to answer this question "Why is the suicide rate in Oz so much higher than the UK?"

In the UK, there is far more variety, work opportunity and affordable access to other countries. The media are far superior. Sure, Oz, has got the sunshine and beaches. And? A couple of weeks ago we returned from a week’s break in sunny climes (for the same cost as an internal Oz flight) and we realised that we didn't miss sun'n'sand at all. But, if we do long for a trip to increase our chances of contracting skin cancer, we know it’s just a couple of hours away. The UK weather has definitely changed over the past 15 years: generally hotter summers and milder winters. But, still it is changeable - there's that word again - something that doesn't happen in the world’s largest suburb.

The self-deprecating nature of Brits is a refreshing change from the juvenile grandstanding so beloved of Aussies. And, there is the humour. Not, the in-your-face-humour of the Aussies that has all the subtlety of a thermonuclear device. And here it is ok to say, 'Sport? Who cares!" (small lie, it was good to see Hewitt the Redneck annihilated on Friday). And, like many returnees, we have a new found appreciation for the UK - its history and culture - both good and bad.

Do we regret staying in Oz for so long? Perhaps. Certainly, 3 years in Oz is more than enough. But staying in the world's largest shopping mall meant that, on our return, we now really appreciate what the UK and Europe have to offer. I mean, the French can be as annoying as hell, but at least they have something to be arrogant about.

Would I recommend that people go to Oz? Of course! They’ll either like it or they’ll return with a new found appreciation of UK and/or Europe. So, it’s a kind of win-win. Except for those that feel trapped in Oz, because they can’t afford to return…

The Oz passport is now somewhere up in the loft, no doubt being used as a mouse’s duvet (where are those Oz loft-dwelling snakes when you need one?…).

And so endeth Mike Stanton's foray into the parallel universe that is British Expats.

G'day and amen.
Mike, this is the kind of stuff that really makes this forum great...

Excellently written..

Cheers from "Latin" Australia (Brazil)...
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:30 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Mike! wow, I was just wondering about you the other day. See, you are missed. Thanks for taking the time to post. Very refreshing, honest and so true! There really are the same 'problems' all over the world. there's no 'paradise'. I wish the media would stop being so down on the UK all the time. drop in now and then and keep us updated.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:52 pm
scoobydoo

Karma to you Mike !

Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day and amen.
First of all Mike, may I say how I am both pleased and saddened by this post.
Since you left the forum last February, the forum has died a slow death of 1000 cuts. I rarely post these days, as a realist on Oz I am shouted down by the usual guardians of Godzone.

I always found your posts informative, witty and pretty darned accurate on the way that Oz and its residents are. I like you realise that the Uk has its troubles, so does Oz, in bucketloads. The irony of the Daily Mail readers who bemoan Immigrants in the UK, yet become one in Oz always makes me chuckle. The racist Brits who dream of an Oz utopia where the natives will greet them with open arms deserve all the Pom hating bile which will undoubtably come their way. Surely this is karma(in the real sense, not the crappy ego boosting gimmick featured on this site) to those bigots who assume that speaking English and being white will not make them stand out as an Immo!

Australia is a country still in its infancy. The shouting of sporting acheivments starkly demonstrates this. Sport was the glue that gave the fledgling colony a sense of belonging and meaning to the nation. For Australia to advance it has to drop the early teen bragging and attention seeking and come to terms with what it is and stop trying to constantly get one up on the Brits, its rather embarresing to watch the news in Oz.

Mike if this is your last post (hope not) then thanks for the good posts and the wry humour, hopefully some deluded poms learnt something about Australiaville form you and maybe saved many££££ from DIMIA and a total anti climax once thay landed in the largest suburb in existence!

Last edited by eatstatic; Jul 2nd 2005 at 12:03 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

G'day and amen.
What a wonderful post!!
I agree entirely!
I live in Canada and concede that it is "better" in some ways than the UK, absence of yobbism being the obvious one. But overall I have to say that Britain is streets ahead.
Even my Canadian partner cannot wait until we move back to England!
Britain is a beautiful country awash with culture and history. It has more beautiful towns than you could shake a stick at, fantastic world class museums, art galleries, great shops, wonderful humour and breathtaking accessible countryside. Hop on a train in much of England and you can be in a vibrant city, a quaint old town or brooding mountains within the hour. Everything is so close and so diverse.
It's also so easy to get a good job in England. If you're bright, educated and experienced you will never struggle to find well paid work somewhere. How different to the situation in Canada with it's absurd regulations and mass underemployment. You even need to do a course to work behind a bar here, what total nonsense. How about a little common sense instead of overbearing beaurocracy and regulation? The ridiculously inflexible work market here must surely result in a huge waste of talent and a massive burden on the economy?
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 3:49 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

G'day and amen.
See you've recovered your equanimity somewhat. May your bones rest easy among those of your ancestors, even if they be but ashes.

Appears that the £, end of the housing boom and excesses and exhaustion of their British Omnipotencenesses has finally had a salutary effect on British emigration.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:49 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mike

wondered where you were...!!! good to see a post.!!

Cheers

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:09 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

G'day and amen.
Don't tell me ... you read The Guardian
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:24 am
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

Originally Posted by BAY
Don't tell me ... you read The Guardian
He can't read or write he just does cut n paste and looks at the pictures in the daily star.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 10:51 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I suspect you will mellow to Oz after a while again I am sure. Your critique of Oz is broadly the same as similar rants about the UK.

Oz has it's attractions and it has it's drawbacks. Just like the UK it is a place where Daily Mail and Guardian readers can live side by side. Thankfully you cannot buy either of these biased rags there.

The UK though to me is becoming more like Australia every day. We have the EU inspired and UK gold plated implementation of vast new regulations and life dulling rules combined with a population density at the highest end the scale. I love England and I am only truly happy here but I have to admit the way it is being run at the moment is not great.

This is not necessarily the UK's fault given so many of the ideas that lead to day to day dissatisfaction come from international bodies such as the UN and EU that pretty much all western countries have the same problems. A good example is the decision to allow higher density living i.e. your neighbours house suddenly getting demolished to make room for a 6 pack of units, it happens in Oz, US, NZ, UK etc etc and the basic idea to relax building densities came out of a United Nations working party. The same with immigration. The same with globalisation. These international mostly unelected undemocratic bodies if allowed will turn all countries into a bland homogenised sameness with quality of life governed by the lowest common denominator not the highest.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 8:12 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by Pants
Hello Mike

wondered where you were...!!! good to see a post.!!

Cheers

This is'nt a new post by mike Stanton. Mike has'nt posted since he disappeared from the forum around 6 months ago, its an old post of his someone has resurrected, look at the date of the post ' January 2004'

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 2nd 2005 at 8:31 pm.

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
This is'nt a new post by mike Stanton. Mike has'nt posted since he disappeared from the forum around 6 months ago, its an old post of his someone has resurrected, look at the date of the post ' January 2004'
Thats not the date of the post - its the date he joined....
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 10:56 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by Pootle
Thats not the date of the post - its the date he joined....
Your right , l made a mistake it is a new post. l though he had quit the forum for good so l assumed it was one of his old posts.

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 2nd 2005 at 11:17 pm.

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:43 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
rarely post these days, as a realist on Oz I am shouted down by the usual guardians of Godzone.

!
FFS you actual believe you are a realist. .

At least Mke is prepared to admit and understand that some people will like Australia. You on the other hand post nothing but blatant whinging about the bad sides of OZ. Admittedly it has them but just because the bad outweighed the good for you dosn't mean the same for everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.