Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Filling out a D1 to exchange my license back to a UK one

Filling out a D1 to exchange my license back to a UK one

Old Apr 10th 2022, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

mrtoad33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Filling out a D1 to exchange my license back to a UK one

I'm a British citizen who has recently returned to the UK after living in Canada for 3 years.

I understand I need to fill out a D1 to exchange my Canadian license back to a UK one (I passed my test in the UK), but I don't know how to answer these questions in section 2 of the form –

"Previous details – if your name and/or address has changed from that shown on your last license you MUST give the previous details below"

Is this referring to my last UK license, or is my last license the Canadian one?

"What date did you come to live in the UK?"

Is this the date I was born in the UK, or the date I most recently returned?

Thanks!

Old Apr 10th 2022, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filling out a D1 to exchange my license back to a UK one

Clear as mud. Whoever designs these forms should be shot. Do they not test run the questions before putting them out there?

Hopefully someone who's already been through the procedure will come to your rescue soon.
Old Apr 10th 2022, 4:54 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrtoad33
I'm a British citizen who has recently returned to the UK after living in Canada for 3 years.

I understand I need to fill out a D1 to exchange my Canadian license back to a UK one (I passed my test in the UK), but I don't know how to answer these questions in section 2 of the form –

"Previous details – if your name and/or address has changed from that shown on your last license you MUST give the previous details below"

Is this referring to my last UK license, or is my last license the Canadian one?

"What date did you come to live in the UK?"

Is this the date I was born in the UK, or the date I most recently returned?

Thanks!
Hi, We have just gone through this. We were lucky and kept our old green licence so we enclosed that as a reference. We did however enter our last UK address and the date we returned to the UK to take up residence, once more. Hopes this helps.
Old Apr 10th 2022, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
Hi, We have just gone through this. We were lucky and kept our old green licence so we enclosed that as a reference. We did however enter our last UK address and the date we returned to the UK to take up residence, once more. Hopes this helps.
This is exactly what we did. Our last address on our UK licence was from 29 years ago but that address is likely to be in their system whereas any overseas address is almost certainly not going to be there.

we also entered the date we returned to the UK
Old Apr 13th 2022, 9:01 am
Just Joined

mrtoad33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 17th 2022, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

EliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyway to "exchange" a USA driving license for a UK one or do I have to the take the written and driving tests in the UK to get the license over there?
Old Apr 17th 2022, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EliDaBulldog
Is there anyway to "exchange" a USA driving license for a UK one or do I have to the take the written and driving tests in the UK to get the license over there?
No, you have to take the test
Old Apr 18th 2022, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad
No, you have to take the test
To expand on this answer you can drive on your US licence for up to 12 months so plenty of time to get a UK licence. Our son did this in 2017/18 when he moved back from the USA. He was only 4 when when we moved him over with us so had never held a UK licence.
Old May 21st 2022, 12:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

For those returning to the UK and exchanging your foreign licence for your previous GB licence there’s a box on Form D1 to give your GB driving licence number. Do this and you’ll receive your full entitlements based on your UK test pass rather than your foreign licence. If you don’t have a record of your number you can call the DVLA to ask for this before you submit the form.